How competitive am I for these schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lotusblade

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was wondering if you could let me know how competitive I am for TMDSAS?

Also, could you guys recommend DO schools that I would be competitive at?

• My cGPA is a 2.97. I had a horrible undergrad, but as a post bac I've had a strong upward trend, 3.5 GPA in my last 30+ hours (Mostly all the prereq's).
  • TMDSAS sGPA 3.09
  • AACOMAS sGPA 3.28
  • MCAT 27

I have strong EC, volunteering at a hospital/food bank/local library, mentoring, and my university. I have also shadowed DO's and MD's. I also plan on working as a scribe in the coming months.

My full story of my journey to this point found here (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=753345) if interested

Thank you for your time and input.

Edit: My father also wants me to apply to U of Miami since he's an alumni. Is this out of the question too?

Members don't see this ad.

your cGPA might put you out of the running at almost all med schools because of the auto-screen process (>3.00). Otherwise, your sGPA and mcat are competitive for DO, but not so much MD.

Hey guys, I was wondering if you could let me know how competitive I am for TMDSAS?

Also, could you guys recommend DO schools that I would be competitive at?

• My cGPA is a 2.97. I had a horrible undergrad, but as a post bac I've had a strong upward trend, 3.5 GPA in my last 30+ hours (Mostly all the prereq's).
  • TMDSAS sGPA 3.09
  • AACOMAS sGPA 3.28
  • MCAT 27

I have strong EC, volunteering at a hospital/food bank/local library, mentoring, and my university. I have also shadowed DO's and MD's. I also plan on working as a scribe in the coming months.

My full story of my journey to this point found here (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=753345) if interested

Thank you for your time and input.

Edit: My father also wants me to apply to U of Miami since he's an alumni. Is this out of the question too?

I personally wouldn't waste the money on U of Miami, but you can always afford one school that you know you are a reach for, so go for it if thats it.

For DO schools I would suggest:

ATSU-SOMA
ATSU-KCOM
TUCOM-NV
ACOM
CU-COM

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your feedback! I do plan on focusing my efforts on DO schools Husky. I will definitely apply to the ones you have listed sterling.

I was browsing the MSAR and I was wondering if I would be competitive at Meharry TN, Commonwealth PA, Morehouse GA, or Howard DC?

I didn't plan on doing the AMCAS, just AACOMAS and TMDSAS, but I saw that those universities had a lower average GPA and their MCAT scores are similar to what I scored. Should I forgo those and just focus on TMDSAS and AACOMAS?

I don't think that last year of good grades is going to salvage your academic reputation at any MD school, so concentrate on DO.

FYI, Meharry, Morehouse, etc are historically black colleges, so unless you're URM you won't have a chance there.

Thank you for your feedback! I do plan on focusing my efforts on DO schools Husky. I will definitely apply to the ones you have listed sterling.

I was browsing the MSAR and I was wondering if I would be competitive at Meharry TN, Commonwealth PA, Morehouse GA, or Howard DC?

I didn't plan on doing the AMCAS, just AACOMAS and TMDSAS, but I saw that those universities had a lower average GPA and their MCAT scores are similar to what I scored. Should I forgo those and just focus on TMDSAS and AACOMAS?

Thanks Goro. I'll focus my efforts on the DO schools! While I consider myself an URM I think you make a valid point. I've gone through the CIB and I plan on applying to all the schools that don't have the 3.0 cutoff.

Thanks Goro. I'll focus my efforts on the DO schools! While I consider myself an URM I think you make a valid point. I've gone through the CIB and I plan on applying to all the schools that don't have the 3.0 cutoff.

If I were you, I would take 1-2 summer courses and retake a couple classes.Then apply this cycle solely to DO schools. MD will be a waste of money.

I applied to a bunch of DO schools last cycle of an sGPA <3.0 and was rejected at most of them pre-secondary. The ones I did submit a secondary I wasrejected as well...with a strong MCAT.

If I were you, I would take 1-2 summer courses and retake a couple classes.Then apply this cycle solely to DO schools. MD will be a waste of money.

I applied to a bunch of DO schools last cycle of an sGPA <3.0 and was rejected at most of them pre-secondary. The ones I did submit a secondary I wasrejected as well...with a strong MCAT.

But my sGPA for AACOMAS is above a 3.0, it's a 3.28. My overall GPA is the thing I worry about being below a 3.0. I've done well in my post bac as well. I've gotten a 3.5 in the last few years taking nothing but science classes.

Should I still avoid applying?