How competitive are 4th year outside rotation sites?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

radian313

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello.

In lieu of my schools allowance in allocating 4th year rotations to be done at the description of the students will at outside locations. How "difficult" are these 4th year rotation sites attainable? I live by a number of hospital systems that take VSAS applications and entertain LCME branded medical schools in the USA. What factors are considered when accepting students?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Curious about this question as well. The only part that sucks is that a few ACGME institutions charge DOs a lot to rotate at their programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello.

In lieu of my schools allowance in allocating 4th year rotations to be done at the description of the students will at outside locations. How "difficult" are these 4th year rotation sites attainable? I live by a number of hospital systems that take VSAS applications and entertain LCME branded medical schools in the USA. What factors are considered when accepting students?

Thanks in advance.

Typically first come, first served. Degree of difficulty depends on the requirements for each school for visiting students (see VSAS) & quality of your school's registrar, student affairs office & dean's office in getting necessary documents prepared & submitted in a timely fashion.

Reactions: 1 users
Depends on how competitive the specialty is and the desirability of that particular program. Popular sites will have many more applicants than spots. In addition to first come first serve, there are plenty of places that screen applicants the same way they do for residency (step, grades, etc).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
But don't charge MDs? How many sites are we talking?

Its a handful. Many charge a fee though for students from an "unaffiliated school", some exclude DOs from auditions/electives altogether, and others simply have a flat fee in general.

Remember that most fees (besides application fees) are due after they confirm the rotation with you, so its not like you're paying the fee without knowing whether or not you can rotate there.

Reactions: 1 user
I have generally observed that programs perceived to be more competitive for residency tend to be more competitive for getting audition rotations. Most sites on VSAS will accept DOs but some won't - even as a DO with no outstanding features it wasn't too difficult to fill my schedule. It helps to apply broadly. Programs with less of a competitive reputation or less competitive characteristics tended to be easier to get rotations at. Programs affiliated with medical schools will also sometimes fill up earlier due to having their own students take the available positions.

Competitive programs will look at factors like whether you're a DO, board scores, clinical grades, and sometimes even statements of interest or letters of recommendation to select their students. Most other programs just checked to make sure I was a medical student in good standing with a clean record.

As a side note, I have been finding it challenging to get an ER rotation (which we're required to do).

Last edited: