How competitive are ortho internships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ElenaDDS

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't match .. only applied to 3 programs... any insights?
like Roseman, JU, UF , etc :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I too would like to know if anyone has an answer.

Members don't see this ad :)
They are surprisingly competitive, especially at JU. Many times applicants second guess themselves so much they apply for the fellowship instead of residency. This is especially the case at JU. Many fellows are overqualified.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I would say most are decently competitive.. for many of these programs, going through their ortho internship gives you a strong chance of becoming a resident at their program, and they know this. Thus they know they are interviewing for their future potential residents, not just interns.

I would definitely get on the ball quickly though, because if I remember correctly, many internship positions get filled very soon after ortho match (if not already past due).

I would say most are decently competitive.. for many of these programs, going through their ortho internship gives you a strong chance of becoming a resident at their program, and they know this. Thus they know they are interviewing for their future potential residents, not just interns.

I would definitely get on the ball quickly though, because if I remember correctly, many internship positions get filled very soon after ortho match (if not already past due).

I'm not sure this is true. I got the impression that most ortho fellowships do not accept their own fellows with JU being the exception. Most programs are too small to accept their fellows. Imagine if the class size is 4 and they take four fellows per year. You think they will only take their fellows? JU is large enough to accept it's 5 fellows per year.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Do you guys think it's worth it to pursue a one-year orthodontic fellowship? The GA school of orthodontics has a one year fellowship where fellows typically transition to residents at the end. However, it's $70,000 per year, same as the resident tuition.
Would it strengthen an application to other ortho residency programs?

It would help to get into JU. Not sure about anywhere else. Odds are it would be best to consider it as a working interview to see if you could get in to the residency at GA the following year. Do you know how many fellows they are taking?

Do you guys think it's worth it to pursue a one-year orthodontic fellowship? The GA school of orthodontics has a one year fellowship where fellows typically transition to residents at the end. However, it's $70,000 per year, same as the resident tuition.
Would it strengthen an application to other ortho residency programs?
It also looks like there's another $10,000 in "fees." Unless you're independently wealthy, I can't see doing this fellowship and following on there with residency as a wise move. You'd be looking at over $320,000 just in tuition and fees. Tack on at least $100,000 for four years of living expenses. I'm too lazy to figure out all of that interest that'll accumulate during that time. How much do you owe for dental school? Even if it's a "reasonable" $300,000 you're staring down owing well over $800,000. Any idea what the monthly payment would be with a 20 year term? $6,000 a month. You must really want to become an orthodontist to pay $72,000 or more annually for the next two decades of your life. I'd definitely think twice.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 1 user
Tough call to say if it's worth it or not.. that's pretty much up to you. On one hand, fellows typically get into the same residency after the fellowship unless they don't jive well with residents or faculty.. but the trade off is a year and $70k+ that is on top of dental school loans like Hoss said. In my case, I decided I would rather work part time (well, turned into full time x_x) and do other things part time like research, other experience, etc, to help bolster my resume that way rather than go deeper in debt.

Also, doing a fellowship at one residency doesn't necessarily translate to meaning much for other schools. There are some programs that value good fellowship programs, like JU, and there are some that don't really value them a lot, like ones where you only do research.