Quantcast

how competitive are osteopathic gas residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OsteoGASDOC

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
i did a search and could not find any info on osteopathic residencies. any information on competitiveness or quality of programs would be greatly appreciated.

neuroride

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I rotated at one osteo program in the midwest and did not like it. They only had 2 spots per year and so the program size was tiny. The hospital only had about 8 ORs and the variety of cases was not there. They also had to provide their own equipment (blades, handles,etc) and turn over their own rooms each time because there were no techs there. Their board pass rate was awful too.

It also seemed like there was more politics involved with the spots. Some medical students had been gunning for those spots for some time so even though the program would still go through the match, I wasn't convinced that the spots weren't already spoken for.

I went into allopathic anesthesia and the shear number of spots definately works in your favor.

panetrain

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Don't take this the wrong way, but can you think of one good reason why you would want to enroll in an osteopathic anesthesia residency over an MD anesthesia residency?:confused: What are the pro's and what are the con's? I only see the latter? My advice would be to forget that they exist and apply broadly to the over 100 well est. MD residencies. I have noticed that most MD programs accept at least 1 or more DO's in every anesthesia residency class.:thumbup:

Last edited:

Arch Guillotti

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Neurorides info is as close as you are going to get to the source around here. Some time ago there was a member who was a resident but s/he has not been heard from in some time. Searching some more will reveal some threads because I am sure this has been discussed before.

An ACGME residency is the "gold standard". Period.

DO4lifer

Gold Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
most DO gas programs are midwest, so if you plan to stay in those areas afterwards, it makes sense.

most DO gas programs are small, so 3 spots is more norm than you think.

if you are thinking academics, its best to go allopathic.

if you want more options, go allopathic.

my advice to you is to apply to both, and check them out. if you like them, rank them. if you dont match DO, you have the MD match. win-win :thumbup:

BColorado

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dont even think about the few shi**y gas DO residencies there are. Trust me, if you want to do IM then its fine to go DO, if you want to do anesthesia, there is only one way, go allopathic.

Spandex

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
D.O. Resident here. I've posted before about my program when it was explicitly inquired:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=580808

As far as competitiveness goes, we typically get around 80-100 applicants for our two spots. Chances of landing one of those sans rotation is super slim. It's obviously a small place and we want to know what we're getting. If you want a smaller environment with a majority of B&B cases it's a nice match. If you want a big academic center where you're doing double elephant trunks on a daily basis then it's probably not for you. We do have several "out" rotations at CCF, which I consider a big bonus in getting the big center feel (at least temporarily).

There tends to be a lot of dismissive attitudes about D.O. gas programs on here, however I feel/felt this program was the right fit for me. Basically that's what it comes down to. Check out all the programs you can, then decide what you like/don't like and choose accordingly.

I can field any specific questions should you have them. Good luck in your residency search.

BColorado

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
They get 8-100 spots because there are an a##load of DO's that find out about a DO gas residency and apply to it as a back up plan. this is not the same as the many competiive programs that get this many applicants for their spots. I know from personal experience that what the above poster is correct and they do get some rotations at CCF. The problem being is that you flounder when put in a real life situation (that rotation), you just dont get the experience needed. Trust me, do whatever you can to land an allopathic position, get board certified and have no worries about your future.

Just speakin the truth, but good luck to the above.

bcolorado

BColorado

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Still not sure what double elephant trunks are, but if that is analagous to sick patients with real life conditions, then I will take it.

Cheers

Spandex

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have no intention sinking into post war inanity with BColorado, nor was I trying to inflate my program by throwing the CCF quasi-connection out there. I realize there are some things I won't have the opportunity to see that I would at a larger program, as noted in my above post and the prior thread. I'm abundantly clear to my programs deficiencies, and there are certainly things I'd like to change. However, I disagree to the "floundering in real life situations." Perhaps your personal experience, of which I'm not privy, dictates your dissent.

And, an elephant trunk is the name of a technique for aortic dissection/aneurysmal repair. The double indicates using two grafts to accomplish the anastamosis. Don't ask me much more about it because I've never done one (like I said) and I'm no vasculo-ct-ophile.

DO4lifer

Gold Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
No need to justify one pursuit over the other. Every program has its pros and cons. Some are looking for a smaller program, while others big. Some looking to do basic cases after residencies, some are looking to discover the next gas. Everyone has different life plans, so its an individual's decision to decide which residency hospital to choose whether allopathic or osteopathic.

If the glove doesnt fit, then you must acquit. So if you don't like the hospital, don't rank it.

R.I.P. Johnny Cochran

Spandex

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Agree. I rotated here, liked it, ranked it. D.O. match is before M.D. and here I am.

wmc24

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
any DO's happen to match yesterday in gas? and if so where?

frank51

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
any DO's happen to match yesterday in gas? and if so where?

A few people from my class were trying to get into the program at Pontiac and Riverside, don't think they got in.

DO4lifer

Gold Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
i think classmates were going for michigan as well...spots filled up fast.