How competitive are post-baccs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trismegistus4

Credential Non-Respecter
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Le me describe the relevant details of my life:

• 27 year old white male
  • Software developer at a big pharma company
  • Graduate of a well-respected small liberal arts college with a B.A. in Music
  • 3.1 undergrad GPA
  • Only relevant college science coursework: Gen Chem I, C-; Gen Chem II, B+
  • A few other scattered bad grades, including an F in multivariable calculus
  • 2 extracurricular activities in college: Chapel Choir and band
  • No post-college "extracurricular activities" (i.e., community clubs)
  • No community service volunteering
  • No medically related volunteering or shadowing experiences YET (just requested a volunteer application from the local community hospital, but haven't received it yet)

And I think I want to be a doctor. Basically, I'm a heretofore lazy bum who's always been told he has lots of potential he doesn't use. I didn't study in college. I am absolutely 100% certain I could get near straight A's in the pre-med prerequisites; the only reason for the bad grades in college is that I simply didn't do any work.

I really want to get the ball rolling on this, and provided that any volunteering/shadowing I do this spring doesn't unexpectedly turn me off to medicine, I'd much prefer to start a post-bacc this fall rather than wait another year.

Do I stand any chance at being admitted to a post-bacc? Some of them have become quite competitive, I know, but are there less competitive ones that might take a guy with my record (the only impending change being that I'll start getting some clinical exposure soon)? Or am I going to have to take a year or two and do tons of volunteering and take a few classes?

I KNOW I can handle the work, but when I make lists like the one above, I realize I don't look too good on paper.

Members don't see this ad.

In my opinion (whatever that's worth :)) you have a fine shot. The post-bac programs aren't looking for med school quality applicants, but they are looking for students who they think have the potential to show potential, if you get what I mean. This means that you needn't necessarily demonstrate your commitment to, or ability to succeed in medical school (yet) but you will need to come up with a good reason why you feel so moved to make this change in your life. Convince them that you won't show up for a semester, realize THEN that this isn't for you, and drop out.

Some programs are more difficult than others, however. Bryn Mawr (sp?) is notoriously difficult, as is Goucher. You practically need to be able to get into med school already to enter these programs.

I've heard Columbia takes just about anyone who applies (400 post bac students according to an email from the director) but their attrition rate is high -- nearly 40%.

Barry University requires a minimum 2.5 GPA, gives you the required post-bac coursework and, pending satisfying post-bac grades (3.3??) you can be accepted to their Masters of Biomedical Science program -- hence post-bac AND Masters degree in 2 years. They have a self-reported 78% success rate for their Masters grads getting into Med School.

Harvard extention is open enrollment -- you simply need above a certain GPA and so many credits (and pay a few hundred) to get a committee letter.

And this isn't even the tip of the iceberg. There are SO many programs out there, it just depends what you are looking for.

PM me if you have any questions. I'm still looking for the perfect program for myself so I don't know how much help I can be, but I have done a decent amount of research.

All the best,
Matt

Thanks for the response, Mackchops.

I must admit, I was kind of hoping more people would respond. It's so quiet in the Post-Bacc forum! :confused:

My main concern here is that I really want to get started, because by now the earliest I could possibly start med school would be 2006, and that's if I start taking classes this fall, and in 2005 take the August MCAT, which I've heard puts one at a disadvantage. I'd love to start classes this summer instead, so I could take the April MCAT. What I really want to know is whether I'd have to have any significant amount of time volunteering/shadowing before even getting into a post-bacc. (Because if I do, I don't stand a chance of starting classes this summer, and maybe not this fall either.) Can anyone answer that question?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there again to a fellow Musician! (I'm on OPM board as well.)

None of the programs I looked into required volunteer work or shadowing BEFORE joining, though all do require it at some point once you're in.

I'd go ahead and apply to a few. Worst case is you have to find a place to take the courses as a non-degree student (I would think nearly all schools would let you do something like that). You don't necessarily have to be in a formal postbacc as long as you get the coursework done.

I'm 35, with an undergraduate GPA of 2.6. I'm retaking all of the premed requirements as a post bacc student, although not in a formal program. My overall GPA at the end of this semester (my last!) will be 3.0 with a 3.3 science.

The science GPA went up more because I didn't have many science classes the first go around. I expect to do well on the MCAT, which I think will help offset the GPA. It definitely seems pretty easy to get A's as an "adult".

Would it be possible for you to continue working and take your premed courses part time? That's how I'm doing it. Continued income and plenty of years to get volunteering and clinical experience in... I'll have 2.5 years of hospital volunteering experience at interview time next winter.

Just one little piece of info. I did my post-bacc at University of Miami, taking all of the basics because I had nothing. You have to maintain a 3.5 to stay in their program, and I liked having that over my head. It kept me going when I wanted to slack off. I don't remember the exact requirements to get INTO the post-bacc program, but you can check it out if you want.

They all differ, and you can to post-bacc work without being in a particular program. You can also just start taking some classes this summer, using that time to find a real post-bacc program. Anything you take will count!!!!!

Best of luck.

Yea, I think he still is part of SDN, so pm him.

I wish him the best, and I hope he is happy.