How competitive are these tracks?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GladifImakeit

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First question: are 1-year (advanced) programs more or less competitive than 2-year tracks, in general?

Second question: how competitive are MCH and health/behavior/society themed tracks compared to others?

I am hoping I applied to the less competitive tracks! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of it depends on the school.
That said, even 3 years ago MCH was less competitive than health behavior/comm. health for many schools. Over the last few years the number of applications has risen and thus the programs have, in general, become more competitive (although depending on the school, not necessarily more competitive than comm. health programs). Also, most health behavior/comm. health programs are larger than MCH and thus can accept more students.

I am applying to 1 year programs so I'm interested in the first question, too. I believe Berkeley has info on their site disclosing the percentage of applicants accepted. If I remember correctly the interdisciplinary program was easier to get into. Not sure if this is the case for all programs, though.

Do you have a professional degree? I will by the time I enter, but I think this may not put me at an advantage for JHSPH or Harvard, since they are more competitive programs and the latter pretty much require you to have a professional degree. My GRE scores are mediocre (1200) so I'm hoping my PhD will help me.