How Competitive is Allergy and Immunology as compared to GI, Cards and HEM/ONC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jimanderson

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi
How difficult is it to get into A/I as compared to GI, Cards or Hem/onc
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'd guess below GI/Cards but above heme/onc which is not very competitive at all AFAIK. A/I is great lifestyle and very good money if you do a lot of injection stuff (sorry, just exhausted by expertise in the area). Of course, this is also site-dependent. National Jewish in Denver would be more competitive than other places, etc.

Mumpu said:
I'd guess below GI/Cards but above heme/onc which is not very competitive at all AFAIK. A/I is great lifestyle and very good money if you do a lot of injection stuff (sorry, just exhausted by expertise in the area). Of course, this is also site-dependent. National Jewish in Denver would be more competitive than other places, etc.

It happens to be one of the most competetive fellowships due in part to limmited number of programs/spots accross the country. Some programs are combined with rheumatology. On the whole, tend to be very research oriented.

Members don't see this ad :)
You say the pay is good for AI, so how much is it on an average?

NRAI2001 said:
You say the pay is good for AI, so how much is it on an average?

220. While that's a good amount over a general internists, what it's really known for is lifestyle. Short hours and low stress - up there with derm in that regard.

(nicedream) said:
220. While that's a good amount over a general internists, what it's really known for is lifestyle. Short hours and low stress - up there with derm in that regard.

Yea, 220 doesnt sound that much.

NRAI2001 said:
Yea, 220 doesnt sound that much.

It is compared to the 150 internists average. When you get 70k more a year on average, and work half the time, that's a sweet deal for 2 more years of training.

(nicedream) said:
It is compared to the 150 internists average. When you get 70k more a year on average, and work half the time, that's a sweet deal for 2 more years of training.

Yea i guess its an easier life style. :thumbup:

NRAI2001 said:
Yea i guess its an easier life style. :thumbup:

I know from the many I've spoken to, you start out about 140-150 and eventually if you have your own private office AND are busy, you can make up to 400 (if not more if you have a business head.) Don't forget its all about procedures. A/I does PFT's on almost all asthmatics and skin testing and many IT shots which take about 2 minutes per patient and can generate lots of income if you play it smart.

ihatesurgery said:
I know from the many I've spoken to, you start out about 140-150 and eventually if you have your own private office AND are busy, you can make up to 400 (if not more if you have a business head.) Don't forget its all about procedures. A/I does PFT's on almost all asthmatics and skin testing and many IT shots which take about 2 minutes per patient and can generate lots of income if you play it smart.

But if you have a busy practice you probably wont have the easy lifestyle that many people going into AI are attracted to? Or will you still have an easy life style compared to busy IMs, FPs, Cardios..etc?

It is as hard as cards/gi. The lifestyle from personal observation is extremely good, and not low stress, it's zero stress. It's obscene the amount of money that can be made for the amount of brain power it takes. That is a recipe for a competitive fellowship.

pufftissue said:
It is as hard as cards/gi. The lifestyle from personal observation is extremely good, and not low stress, it's zero stress. It's obscene the amount of money that can be made for the amount of brain power it takes. That is a recipe for a competitive fellowship.

Yea many doctors recommended that field to me. Said it was extremely lifestyle friendly field.