How Competitive is an MPH at Columbia or Yale

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

synapse lapse

tokyo robotic
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, just wondered if anyone here knew what stats are average for MPH acceptance at one of these schools, or could direct me to a source that does (i.e. MSAR). Thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

I would assume that columbia is more competitive than yale. If their averages are anywhere near UC Berkeley, then I would suspect around a 3.5 GPA and about a 1250-1300 (verbal + math) on the GRE. Those are the numbers thats Berkeley lists. I got into Columbia and went to berkeley. I've noticed that a superb LSAT can make up for lower grades too, as was the case of one of my friends that got into umich with a 3.0

Oh yeah, I noticed you're from texas. My friend there mentioned their avg GRE is closer to 1100 at UTH. If you're using this as a springboard to med school, I'd advise you not to attend a private school. Its definitely not worth the money unless you have some to throw around.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where can you find information on stats for these schools? You went to Berkley MPH, how was it? Also, what I'm gonna use MCAT scores for admittance, know anything in terms of them. Thanks, GPA not bad, from top 20 school. Thanks.

not competitive at all...i know kids getting into mph at top schools who have less then 3.0's (with d's and stuff) who are going to yale, jhu, and the like. They went to ivy undergrad, but still, really low grades. EC's were good and don't know about gre, but they probably did poorly in that too.

but yeah, have fun.

bearpaw said:
not competitive at all...i know kids getting into mph at top schools who have less then 3.0's (with d's and stuff) who are going to yale, jhu, and the like. They went to ivy undergrad, but still, really low grades. EC's were good and don't know about gre, but they probably did poorly in that too.

but yeah, have fun.

that seems a little extreme, can anyone else confirm this. i would really like to find a book/website that has these stats. I don't have any D's nor a GPA that low, Thanks for help... Anyone else that has experience applying to MPH or knows anything about stat requirements please respond, thanks.

Depends on what division you're applying to ... I know for the Global Health Division of Yale EPH, they had over 200 applications for what ended up being 9 or 10 spots in the class of 2004 ... other departments (Chronic Disease Epi, Epi of Microbial Diseases) weren't as competitive and quite a few who couldn't get in GHD were offered spots in other departments ...

I am graduating from Yale EPH in a month and I know a good bit about our admissions process. I also got into Columbia back in the day, so I feel like I know a bit about theirs too. I think, in general, MPH programs downplay grades and GREs in favor of experience and character. That's not to say that strong grades and GREs (or MCATs in my case) dont' help you, but I have many classmates who had below 3.0 gpa but are absolutely amazing in their experiences and humanity. But as the above poster said, it is also dependent on the division. They look for different things. If you want into Micribial disease (my division) or chronic disease, they look for a more science based background, whereas if you want health policy or global, they look for poly sci type classes or experiences. Statistically, Global is the hardest to get into even though its generally considered to be our weakest division.