How competitive is EM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc187

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How competitive is EM residency? I just want an idea of how realistic it will be for me to match into it.

I went to an interest group meeting the other day, and people said that EM is 'competitive'. What exactly does that mean? Like, how does it compare with other specialties?

Members don't see this ad.

It's average. Top half of the class, top half of step scores and you should be alright. Similar to radiology, anesthesiology, general surgery, and ob-gyn.

Harder than peds, family, medicine, psych, pathology, and PM&R. Easier than surgical sub-specialties, derm, and radiation oncology.

Keep in mind that competitiveness is at the specialty level. Plenty of peds and pathology residencies that are difficult to match...

Members don't see this ad :)
It's average. Top half of the class, top half of step scores and you should be alright. Similar to radiology, anesthesiology, general surgery, and ob-gyn.

Harder than peds, family, medicine, psych, pathology, and PM&R. Easier than surgical sub-specialties, derm, and radiation oncology.

Keep in mind that competitiveness is at the specialty level. Plenty of peds and pathology residencies that are difficult to match...

Don't really want to get into a "yes it is" / "no it isn't" argument, but I'd have a hard time saying EM is as competitive as radiology. There's more to life than numbers obviously, but a quick glance at the NRMP paints two fairly different pictures.

Yes, more people went unmatched in EM, but it appears that those who apply to radiology are a self-selecting group.

I'd put radiology at the upper end of medium. Average numbers are significantly higher than in EM but it's still closer to EM in that there are a decent number of slots at less competitive programs. Average on Step 1 and in your class makes radiology a stretch but still reasonable. Have to draw the arbitrary line somewhere and I drew it with radiology on the EM side of the line...

My 2 cents is that EM is average competitiveness. What does that mean to me? If you're goal is to just match into any EM residency regardless of type or location, you'll need to have passed your boards (but can be below avg [80% of US senior applicants with step I scores between 191-200 matched- that said, we don't know how they subsequently did on step II]), done okay in school (passed everything, or maybe 1 fail if you've got a good reason for it and can talk about it), have a good attitude (ie interview well), prove you're a hard worker (EM rotations) and get some good letters of rec (SLORs). If you do all that and apply broadly, most people will find an EM program to match in (90% of US senior applicants who applied to EM matched in EM in 2011).

If you have more specific goals about your match (ie, "i want a specific type of program, want a specific geographical location, want a program to have a specific experience") you're going to reduce the number of programs available to you and potentially put yourself into a more competitive pool.

After browsing this site it pretty much seems that 240=automatic match for EM.

Not really. If you are presentable, communicate well, and are not socially awkward - then yes. If not, 240 ain't going to save you from EM or nearly any other field.

After browsing this site it pretty much seems that 240=automatic match for EM.

There are multiple factors involved.
If you got a 240 on Step 1, you probably also did well on Step 2 and the shelf exams.
Therefore you probably got good clinical grades.

You need to be a nice, "normal" person and have a good overall application.

Also, 240 may mean match somewhere, but it doesn't really indicate that you'll get whatever program you want. EM is becoming more competitive with each passing year and the top names are hard to get into without great clinical grades/narratives, SLORs and even aways at those institutions. My home school's PD has stated that he's seen many 260s over the last few years, and even a couple in the 280s!

Also, 240 may mean match somewhere, but it doesn't really indicate that you'll get whatever program you want. EM is becoming more competitive with each passing year and the top names are hard to get into without great clinical grades/narratives, SLORs and even aways at those institutions. My home school's PD has stated that he's seen many 260s over the last few years, and even a couple in the 280s!

Is 280 even possible?

Is 280 even possible?

So from what I understand, the theoretical max is 300 on a logarithmic scale, which virtually guarantees nobody will attain that score. But yes, 280 is definitely possible.