1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

How competitive is gynecologic oncology?

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by Hedwig, Mar 13, 2002.

1. Hedwig

Hedwig Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Just curious. I keep hearing that it's "monstrously" competitive, but does anyone have the numbers? What makes an OB/GYN resident competitive for this fellowship? Is this the sort of specialty where, although it's really competitive, if you're a good candidate you'll match SOMEWHERE, or are these programs really just too scarce to go around?

Thanks,

Stephanie

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Sheerstress

Sheerstress Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I don't know how competitive it is to get in, but I know that where I live (Western Michigan), there is only ONE gynecologic oncologist, at least the last time I checked. And that guy is one of the most aggressive surgeons around (the idea is, go in, cut out all the cancer, no matter how advanced, and get out). If this is reflective of the rest of the country, there is probably something of a shortage. Good luck.

4. WSU02

WSU02 Member
    10+ Year Member

GynOnc is the only competitive fellowship for OB/Gyn.

There are limited number of Onc fellowships, compared to MFM and REI. Hence, one reason why it is more competitive. MFM is less desirable because of the whole OB thing. REI, well, I don't know why it's less attractive.

Research is very important for Onc. Location (university vs community) is less so...I'm coming from a major university for OB/Gyn and the faculty here PREFER community grads...they have more experience in surgery than those from universities (although less true for university programs without fellows).

I'm not interested in an Onc fellowship (prefer MFM myself). I'm just telling you what I've heard from residents, professors, and on the interview trail.
    Kristi
    7 days until the match

5. Chadleez1

Chadleez1 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Is MFM the fellowship one goes through for Perinatology? I've considered that specialty before.

6. WSU02

WSU02 Member
    10+ Year Member

Is MFM the fellowship one goes through for Perinatology? I've considered that specialty before.
    Yep.
    Kristi

7. callowna

callowna Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Gyn onc only has about 30 spots a year across the country hence its competitiveness. And although at the one institution someone mentioned they prefer community grads the overwhelming majority prefer university trained residents. As a matter of fact fellowships often take in-house residents who are interested in onc just because they are more familiar with them and their work. Research is a prerequisite for gyn onc fellowship. Good CREOG scores are important as well. Unfortunately it is also dependent upon who you know to a fairly large extent; i.e. a well known gyn oncologist at your residency program has connections at other programs and is willing to put in a good word for you. I am actually interested in gyn onc and have done a fair amount of research into it.