How competitive is it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr. Eastern Medicine

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I just wanna know the competitiveness getting into a med school. (eg. 40 to 1 ?)
Thanks~

Members don't see this ad.

Usually, there is 1 seat for every 2-3 applicants nationwide. However, each individual school has about a 10% acceptance rate. The discrepancy is a result of the people who get accepted to multiple schools.

Just wanted to let you know how bad it is for California applicants to California schools. The ratio is about 1 seat for every 15 applicants. My reference is a post on studentdoctor.net that had an official reference. You can search it if you want.

I guess that answers why many non-California schools have California students.

Hope that helps,
wyldstyle2000

Originally posted by rxfudd:
•Usually, there is 1 seat for every 2-3 applicants nationwide. However, each individual school has about a 10% acceptance rate. The discrepancy is a result of the people who get accepted to multiple schools.•

Yeah, the situation in CA is horrible. Not as much because of the lack of seats...that is a HUGE problem...but more so the overall competitiveness of the applicant pool. Where else do you see PUBLIC schools with 33 MCAT averages??