How competitive is the job market in Atl

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smiledds

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a year from graduation and I was seriously thinking of eventually settling in Atlanta to start a practice. Lately I am hearing a lot of talk about Atlanta becoming over saturated for Dentist. Can anyone give me their insight on this subject.

Members don't see this ad.

I highly doubt that Atlanta is over saturated with dentists. I just moved from there in July and at that time all the dentist I knew said I could open a practice and do very well on any corner in the city. I also know that every dentist I called in my county was booked for a year and a half when I tried to switch dentist and get in for a cleaning. I don't see that having changed drastically in the past year. The whole state of Georgia save Augusta is dentally underserved. I plan on going back there when I finish school. Atlanta is a great city and a practice in Buckhead coupld pull in a ton of money easily especially if you are interested in doing cosmetic work.

GTchick said:
I highly doubt that Atlanta is over saturated with dentists. I just moved from there in July and at that time all the dentist I knew said I could open a practice and do very well on any corner in the city. I also know that every dentist I called in my county was booked for a year and a half when I tried to switch dentist and get in for a cleaning. I don't see that having changed drastically in the past year. The whole state of Georgia save Augusta is dentally underserved. I plan on going back there when I finish school. Atlanta is a great city and a practice in Buckhead coupld pull in a ton of money easily especially if you are interested in doing cosmetic work.

any dentists who is booked for 18 months for a cleaning, is an idiot. Why not higher more hygienist or associates? Sorry to be so harsh but that statement, I guarantee you, is wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
I garuntee you that statement is correct. There is only so much space in an office to accomplish things. I didn't just make up stuff, I know this from actual experience. I can't comment on the dentists rationale.

18 months for a cleaning makes no sense. I challenge you to call that office, tell them that you need an FMX, exam and cleaning and have no insurance and are willing to pay cash. If they tell you that your appointment is in Dec of 2005, I'll eat my shorts....They are either closed to new patients and want to get rid of the patients or the dentist is dying. To say that all dentists in a major metropolitan area have no appointments for 18 months for a cleaning is pure non-sense...

I shadow an alpharetta dentist. Personally i dont think the metro area is saturated yet, however it is on its way. personally i'll look for a more rural area when i start a practice.

can any one reccommend areas that would be good for starting a profitable practice in the greater Atlanta area????

My sister lives in Douglassville and it is growing pretty fast, so is Kennesaw. I lived in Gwinnett county and that is where I had trouble finding a dentist.