How competitive is Transitional/Preliminary-medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LeonardMcCoy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Family medicine residency applicant:

Caribbean grad

Step 1: 213

Step 2CK: 218

Step 2 CS: still waiting for results

I’m interested in applying for preliminary or transitional spots to enhance my application for the next cycle in case I don’t match into FM. What’s are my chances of matching into transitional or preliminary-medicine spots?

Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Family medicine residency applicant:

Caribbean grad

Step 1: 213

Step 2CK: 218

Step 2 CS: still waiting for results

I’m interested in applying for preliminary or transitional spots to enhance my application for the next cycle in case I don’t match into FM. What’s are my chances of matching into transitional or preliminary-medicine spots?
Not happening. Spend your money on applying to all the FM programs instead.

In general, FM is LESS competitive than prelims. TY's are more competitive than prelims. You should focus on FM.
Just to verify, does this apply to Surg Prelims also?

I know FM is a career and Surg Prelim is often a dead end. I'm just curious about general competitiveness of the two.

No, gen surg prelims can be among the least competitive options. That's because as you pointed out, they are often dead-ends and most absolutely do not promise further training after the initial year. It can be absolutely brutal with high amounts of scut work, the year is so busy some have great trouble getting time off to interview for residency spots elsewhere.

There are many, many prelim surg spots left during SOAP that are largely filled by IMGs at many programs. Unfortunately, for IMGs from distant programs in unfamiliar areas this is often their only way to break into the states. It amounts to little more than a gun for hire - do everything you can to secure a full residency elsewhere.

Would doing surgery-prelim help enhance my FM application for the next cycle in case I don't math this year?

In general, FM is LESS competitive than prelims. TY's are more competitive than prelims. You should focus on FM.
I thought prelim and transitionally were essentially same things. Both are 1-year pgy1.

I thought prelim and transitionally were essentially same things. Both are 1-year pgy1.

That's true, but the term "prelim" essentially means you will be doing rotations likely exclusively in that subspecialty alone - typically, internal medicine or surgery. At many programs, there are no electives to focus on an area of interest (sometimes you can make a request, but if it's outside of the specialty expect it to be denies - they need you to work). For a surgery prelim, that usually means 13 4-week blocks with absolutely brutal hours.

As a "transitional" year you may do a wide sampling of rotations - some internal medicine, ER, pediatrics, ICU... I've seen some offer rotations in radiology and pathology. Since some of these rotations (especially the last two) can have very, VERY nice hours they are in high demand. Often, TYs are offered in pleasant suburban areas as well.

Reactions: 1 user