How competitive of an applicant am I?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luckybamboo5

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So I was wondering if anyone could give me a good idea of how competitive of an applicant I would be for this upcoming application cycle, based off some crude statistics/info.

-I'm a Biology major with a Business minor and I currently have a 3.97, receiving a B+ in organic chemistry 2.
- As far as core sciences are concerned I have biochemistry and microbiology left to take (done with chem,orgo,physics,genetics,bio, and bio electives) .
-I have leadership positions in two pre-dental clubs, and I have 5 overall leadership positions on various organizations on campus.
-I have shadowed roughly 100 hours (70 of which were general dentistry shadowing)
-I have done research for about 7 months now at a dental school, and I received a scholarship to do research this summer
-Received a 22 on my DAT

any input on how I can better myself before June 1 or if I am not competitive enough, etc. would be appreciated! Thanks! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

So I was wondering if anyone could give me a good idea of how competitive of an applicant I would be for this upcoming application cycle, based off some crude statistics/info.

-I'm a Biology major with a Business minor and I currently have a 3.97, receiving a B+ in organic chemistry 2.
- As far as core sciences are concerned I have biochemistry and microbiology left to take (done with chem,orgo,physics,genetics,bio, and bio electives) .
-I have leadership positions in two pre-dental clubs, and I have 5 overall leadership positions on various organizations on campus.
-I have shadowed roughly 100 hours (70 of which were general dentistry shadowing)
-I have done research for about 7 months now at a dental school, and I received a scholarship to do research this summer
-Received a 22 on my DAT

any input on how I can better myself before June 1 or if I am not competitive enough, etc. would be appreciated! Thanks! :laugh:

You're a great applicant. You'll get multiple interviews. As long as you arent some robot during the interviews, you'll get in. I wouldn't worry too much :thumbup:

I'm almost positive that you will not only get in. But get in somewhere good. I know people who have multiple acceptances with stats that are not as strong as yours. Just apple broadly and you should have no problem.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you wondering how good of a school you can get into or what kind of scholarships you might get?

Or are you seriously wondering if you can get into dental school?

I would assume you are smart enough to know a 3.97 gpa is a good thing, and that you can understand that scoring a 22 on the DAT is a good thing.

Maybe you just need to be told you're special, so here goes, you are special and you will get in to dental school:D

I wasn't asking to be told I am "special" ...
I wanted to know where I could improve in the next month as well as my chances, since there are no gurantees and most individuals are comparable to me whether its in grades, involvement, etc. everyone has their strong suit ..

There are no guarantees and most individuals are comparable to me whether its in grades, involvement, etc. everyone has their strong suit ..

Definitely no guarantees.

Idk about your second statement there. Last I checked, the average appplicant did not have a 3.97/22.

Anyway dude, just chill. You're ahead of the pack already and will definitely get interviews. Apply to 10 schools and attend at least 5 interviews (regardless of how you feel you did). You'll get in somewhere.

Hey everyone,

-Received a 22 on my DAT

everything is fine... but that B+ in orgo is iffy :rolleyes:

I say you have 50/50

that 3.9 is concerning :D

-yes you're competitive, did you see that sub 3.0 club?

even if you applied to harvard, columbia, ucla, ucsf, and uop only (just competitive schools off the top of my head...don't read too much into that list haha) i'd give you better than even money odds of getting an acceptance somewhere.

that said, don't do that.

but point being you're in good shape, probably top 5% of applicants.

B+ in chem is your downfall, throw it in

might i suggest podiatry?

everything is fine... but that B+ in orgo is iffy :rolleyes:

I say you have 50/50

No way brah. 50/50 is more A-....I give this guy a 5/95 to get accepted.

A B+ it highly detrimental to any application.

I suggest podiatry as above.

Just don't blow your interviews with worrying so much.

Raise that AA to a 27 then you will be competitive enough!

Just kidding!!!!!!!!:laugh:

You have a GREAT GPA, great DAT, and good extracurricular!!!!! I am positive you will land tons of interviews and get accepted :) :) :)

Keep us posted!!!!

Listen man... i don't want to be a jerk, just trying to be honest here.

You are actually a little too competitive. Adcoms like to see more "normal" applicants, so you might want to consider getting a few C's your last couple semesters to bring down your GPA. This will help you land more interviews more than anything else! Good luck!

I wonder how low your self-esteem must be if you need to ask people if you are competitive enough. You are amazing on paper and should not have any thing to worry about yet. BUT, if you are so unsure about yourself it will show in the interview and you will not get in. Increase your confidence a bit.

Reactions: 1 user
oh no, make sure you put in your application that you intend to retake ochem 2 and shoot for an A. Also if you can, try to get published for your research. Then you are golden. :)