How competitive would it be to apply in January for rolling admissions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rxh172

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I recently figured out a way I could start optometry school in 2016 if I can get in. My school of choice started accepting on a rolling basis July 2015. I am worried whether my application would be a waste by January. I have my OAT scheduled for the beginning of December and hope to get everything in by late January.
My stats are 3.8 GPA, 3.9 science, University of Miami, Bio and Microbio double major graduating with honors, but I am afraid my OAT score will not be strong because I was looking into admissions for 2017 and this change in date has been so recent. I just started studying a month ago. Bio has been fine but the orgo has been a nightmare of things to re-memorize.
Am I crazy/foolish to try to apply this round? Should I even take the OAT in December or wait until I feel absolutely ready?

Members don't see this ad.

January is getting the point where it is late and a lot of schools are getting a lot more applications. However, your GPA is very competitive. Assuming the rest of you application is good I would go for it. You can always send in your application and have everything verified before taking the OAT. So you could even take the test a bit later if that would make you feel more comfortable. Some people even of had interviews before they take the OAT like at ICO. I would have my application in by December and then take the test in January if you feel uncomfortable about the OAT at this point.

Also for ochem, look into Chad videos. He makes the material a lot more manageable in my opinion. Less memorization and more understanding the material and how it will be tested.

Good luck!

Hi everyone.
I recently figured out a way I could start optometry school in 2016 if I can get in. My school of choice started accepting on a rolling basis July 2015. I am worried whether my application would be a waste by January. I have my OAT scheduled for the beginning of December and hope to get everything in by late January.
My stats are 3.8 GPA, 3.9 science, University of Miami, Bio and Microbio double major graduating with honors, but I am afraid my OAT score will not be strong because I was looking into admissions for 2017 and this change in date has been so recent. I just started studying a month ago. Bio has been fine but the orgo has been a nightmare of things to re-memorize.
Am I crazy/foolish to try to apply this round? Should I even take the OAT in December or wait until I feel absolutely ready?

If you don't apply, it's definitely a NO. So why would NOT apply? What are you risking other than $75 or whatever the application fee is?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you don't apply, it's definitely a NO. So why would NOT apply? What are you risking other than $75 or whatever the application fee is?

It's a bit more expensive than that unfortunately.

Plus supplemental fees on top of that for a lot of the schools.

Ok....how much does it cost to apply to the average school?

Well, let's say for three it's about $280 alone to submit the primary, then at least $150 to submit the supplementary. Add in expenses for flying to interview and it gets pretty expensive for a college kid.

Well, let's say for three it's about $280 alone to submit the primary, then at least $150 to submit the supplementary. Add in expenses for flying to interview and it gets pretty expensive for a college kid.
And to add to that I would say most people retake the OAT cause after the first time usually we feel we can do better

I would apply anyways. If you get offered interviews, that would mean that for most, if not all schools you are very close to gaining admission so the cost of the travel to the interviews would likely pay off. A few hundred dollars is a few hundred dollars but I would not let that be the deciding factor on whether you apply or not, especially with what seems to be a fairly competitive application.

I would apply anyways. If you get offered interviews, that would mean that for most, if not all schools you are very close to gaining admission so the cost of the travel to the interviews would likely pay off. A few hundred dollars is a few hundred dollars but I would not let that be the deciding factor on whether you apply or not, especially with what seems to be a fairly competitive application.

Agreed, especially because your stats place you above the average candidate.
Think of the opportunity cost of a year's worth of post-grad salary (near/past 6 figures...).

Apply, then study like hell for a month before your OATs.

Reactions: 1 user