how confident are you that EK a) covers enough, b) accurate exam tips

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

northwestmedic

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
does EK cover things in enough detail? assume you have background in the subject. does it miss areas that a test taker would have liked to have reviewed? i remember my CFA exam the CFA organization said you didn't need to know X, Y, Z in detail and yet there they were on the exam (which was good for me because i didn't trust their guidance 100%. and the things weren't hard to learn

i notice that EK and to some degree Kaplan give advice on what you need to know and what you don't need to know. at times, EK is pretty specific about this.......... are they just looking at past tests? looking at the subject list we can look at? or do they have priveliged communications with AAMC?

i wrote the CFA exam and there CFA (AIMR?) has its own material books. as well as schweser's, kaplan etc.... MCAT seems like only outside companies provide detailed study guides

thx in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

I don't trust any commercial books to tell me exactly what I need to know. I use the AAMC MCAT book to do that.

The only company that has any communications with AAMC is Khan Academy. All the other companies get their info from tutors taking the test(AAMC doesn’t like this) or looking at the AAMC bundle pack and the full lengths the AAMC gives.

Members don't see this ad :)
EK + khan academy videos = prime time for the science sections. EK definitely has a great way of learning the science without sacrificing too many of the details. The only science stuff I would supplement is a little bit of metabolism and bio research techniques.
However, EK does NOT cover enough in its psych/soc book. At all. Definitely look elsewhere especially if you haven't taken these classes at all/in a while.
Then do ALL of the AAMC practice tests/questions/section banks. :)

Reactions: 1 user
horsecatdog (i love all those animals),

thx for bumping. i appreciate the color for EK strength/weakness......... and i especially appreciate the comment about EK P/S

FYI, K and EK are good complements. EK is so nice and concise and gives confidence to me when they say i don't need to know something that is very confusing. and EK is a complete life-saver for biology and BC.

i also find mcat-review summary book and barrons are very very good. but i think i got to both of them too late.... the mcat-review summary book would have been perfect for first 3 weeks of 3 or 4 month study program. i am non-traditional so sometimes i had a really hard time figuring out what Kaplan was even talking about (ATP, citric acid cycle etc.)