How could residents memorize all this ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brain storm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all
Thank you very much for this very helpful site .

When I read handbook of radiation oncology , I amazed how the junior residents (as me ) could memorize and distinguish all this the stages of hundereds of cancers and their treatment ?
In the practical life what happend really ? do you reveiw the literature in every case or just memorize and prescribe ?

Thank very much .

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi all
Thank you very much for this very helpful site .

I'm interested in radiation onclogy but when I read handbook of radiation oncology ,

I amazed how the residents could memorize and distinguish all this the stages of hundereds of cancers and their treatment ?
In the practical life what happend really ? do you reveiw the literature in every case or just memorize and prescribe ?

Thank very much .

We really are just that smart. The majority of us are also exceptionally good looking and dating extremely hot women and/or men. Such is the life of a radonc.

P.S. It's not nearly as bad as it looks. Most of us remember the big phase 3 studies. We memorize the staging for boards, and then forget a few days later. That's why we all have that handbook by our desks. Also, in private practice at least, we mostly treat breast and prostate anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, remember rad onc is a four year residency. That is the same length as medical school. What if someone showed you everything you would learn in those four years.

Also, in private practice at least, we mostly treat breast and prostate anyway.

And head and neck CA, Lung CA, skin CA, GYN (mostly endometrial), GI (rectal, anal, pancreas, esophagus/GE jxn), CNS, and plenty of weird-omas.... Right now, I have all of those on treatment and Breast and prostate CA ;)

Last edited:
Ha, I have more rectal cases and head and neck cases on treatment than prostate. My partner does most of them.

Also, remember rad onc is a four year residency. That is the same length as medical school. What if someone showed you everything you would learn in those four years.

Thank you for reply .

you are right , but if the residency : 6 months internal medicine , 6 months medical oncology , 2 months nuclear medicine , 2 months diagnostic radiology , 1 month surgical oncology , 1 month pathology and 2.5 years radiation oncology !

only 2.5 years radiation oncology is this will make the problem more complicated ?

And head and neck CA, Lung CA, skin CA, GYN (mostly endometrial), GI (rectal, anal, pancreas, esophagus/GE jxn), CNS, and plenty of weird-omas.... Right now, I have all of those on treatment and Breast and prostate CA ;)

Thank you for reply

By the repetition of cases , the radiation oncologist could memorize the stages for all this cancer but for the junior resident (as me ) how could memorize all this ?

Ha, I have more rectal cases and head and neck cases on treatment than prostate. My partner does most of them.

Thank you for reply , but could you kindly tell me how to memorize ?

Thank you for reply

By the repetition of cases , the radiation oncologist could memorize the stages for all this cancer but for the junior resident (as me ) how could memorize all this ?

Practice makes perfect. Read up on the cases you'll be seeing the night before. Try and nail the basics first as a junior resident.... staging, epidemiology and the overall management strategy (i.e. chemo - adjuvant/neoadjuvant/concurrent, surgery if there's a role, and obviously RT). As you see more and more volume, some of the staging will begin to sink in

Practice makes perfect. Read up on the cases you'll be seeing the night before. Try and nail the basics first as a junior resident.... staging, epidemiology and the overall management strategy (i.e. chemo - adjuvant/neoadjuvant/concurrent, surgery if there's a role, and obviously RT). As you see more and more volume, some of the staging will begin to sink in

Thank you very much for your advice

Haha, my part of the world is apparently quite sheltered, although I am in true solo private practice and have only done locums for guys in a similar situation so maybe we haven't been as proactive about recruiting those other cases.

Thank you for reply .

you are right , but if the residency : 6 months internal medicine , 6 months medical oncology , 2 months nuclear medicine , 2 months diagnostic radiology , 1 month surgical oncology , 1 month pathology and 2.5 years radiation oncology !

only 2.5 years radiation oncology is this will make the problem more complicated ?

That doesn't look like my residency at all. 4 years I was just counting the rad onc (some may have up to 12 months of research but there is still conference and research is radiation oncology related). Sure I did some of that in TY (5 years if you count the TY) but we aren't doing 6 months of med onc or those other rotations.

Haha, my part of the world is apparently quite sheltered, although I am in true solo private practice and have only done locums for guys in a similar situation so maybe we haven't been as proactive about recruiting those other cases.

I think it depends on a number of factors... demographics, competition/referral patterns, etc.

That doesn't look like my residency at all. 4 years I was just counting the rad onc (some may have up to 12 months of research but there is still conference and research is radiation oncology related). Sure I did some of that in TY (5 years if you count the TY) but we aren't doing 6 months of med onc or those other rotations.

I think our residency program is one of the worst , we waste 1.5 year in rotations and only 2.5 years for rad onc .:(

Thank you for reply .

Six months of IM during residency? I have never heard of such a program. Would be a total waste of time to do any IM during a radonc residency, much less six friggin' months! 2.5 years of radonc also sounds odd - I thought the ACGME requirement was at least 36 clinical months?

Six months of IM during residency? I have never heard of such a program. Would be a total waste of time to do any IM during a radonc residency, much less six friggin' months! 2.5 years of radonc also sounds odd - I thought the ACGME requirement was at least 36 clinical months?

this odd residency is not in USA , it is in the middle east .