How critical is it to meticulously annotate UWorld?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dude1344

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so we all know UWorld is the king of all the qbanks. Now, do I really need to annotate every main question point that I find that isn't in FA? I've been doing this and I've been learning a lot, but it's taking FOREVER.

My question is whether all this extra info that UWorld gives us will help when it comes to the real thing. How high yield is all the extra info that UWorld gives us? Will it help me attain my goal (250+) or is it a lot of extra info.

I guess my question from people who've taken it is how much do they think the extra info in UW helped them, or is it the thinking through of UW questions that is the main benefit of the qbank.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I know I got nbme questions right only from what I learned in uqprld, so yes I annotated everything. Especially biochem. I learned more biochem from uworld then reading fa several times

no you dont need to annotate EVERYTHING that UW says. If you ahve the time, sure it wont hurt. But its not necessary. I spent the most time reading the questions that I was unsure about or if they were explaining a concept that I needed work on. I didnt read all of the answer choices and explanations. I typically looked at the two most commonly chosen answers and then looked at the explanations to make sure I understood why one was correct and the other was wrong. On questions that you knew w/o any doubt or you felt were pretty easy and you knew why the other answers were wrong, thers no point in annotating/reading those explanations.

Spend more time annotating things you DO NOT understand. It is not worth it to extra-annotate something that is already spelled out in First Aid. good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't even worry about "what's in FA." By now, you've read so much, how do you know if it's in there or not unless you look up every question and answer?!

I only write down what I don't know, and I don't copy it. I paraphrase what they say into something that's manageable and more understandable without the question, lab values, etc. Plus, paraphrasing allows you to retain better than just copy and pasting whatever they wrote onto your paper.

I don't even worry about "what's in FA." By now, you've read so much, how do you know if it's in there or not unless you look up every question and answer?!

I only write down what I don't know, and I don't copy it. I paraphrase what they say into something that's manageable and more understandable without the question, lab values, etc. Plus, paraphrasing allows you to retain better than just copy and pasting whatever they wrote onto your paper.

I do this, I like it, and its a nice rapid morning review, I have also torn out pages of DIT that help me and put them in this paper pile.

I'll redo the questions I got wrong in UW (it will be around 800-1000) then write down only the most difficult ones that are not in FA. I think that by reading an explanation twice it will be enough to remember afterwards. Only the most difficult concepts to understand. If I write down everything there isn't much time left to read FA and do questions. I'll do UW another time or 2 times if I have the time in september.

I have 35 page Word Document of bullet-points on questions I got wrong/random stuff I want to remember... and at the end of the document, I have pictures.. gross/microscopic/clinical findings of random stuff (Gottron's Papules, for ex), Brainstem pic, derm stuff

I go over it every couple of days

Last edited:
I have 35 page Word Document of bullet-points on questions I got wrong/random stuff I want to remember... and at the document, I have pictures.. gross/microscopic/clinical findings of random stuff (Gottron's Papules, for ex), Brainstem pic, derm stuff

I've been doing this also. :thumbup:

i originally tried annotating into first aid but that was super slow and a waste of time. now i type uworld seperately using two computers so i don't have to minimize the screen.

I have 35 page Word Document of bullet-points on questions I got wrong/random stuff I want to remember... and at the end of the document, I have pictures.. gross/microscopic/clinical findings of random stuff (Gottron's Papules, for ex), Brainstem pic, derm stuff

This. Word docs ftw. Transcribing that stuff into FA is a waste of time.

This. Word docs ftw. Transcribing that stuff into FA is a waste of time.

I disagree. Transcribing into first aid has been very helpful esp when reviewing first aid. Its nice to have all the information in one place for me. I also use the highlight feature on uworld and plan to review anything I have highlighted as well.

I disagree also. I like having the info in FA. When I find some info in UW I want to annotate, I go to the page in FA where it's located and write a short little note. Doesn't take that long, and I reread what FA has to say about the subject. It really reinforces that concept for me as I get another read through of FA for that topic.

I'm at the point where I know FA well enough that I can just flip to the page where I know that topic will be found, so I'm not spending lots of time doing that.

I disagree. Transcribing into first aid has been very helpful esp when reviewing first aid. Its nice to have all the information in one place for me. I also use the highlight feature on uworld and plan to review anything I have highlighted as well.

Totally ! I've annotated all of UW (100 left) but- just what's not in FA with the qn id on top. It'll let us know if that FA concept appeared in UW. Highlighted UW could be very useful for a quick review too.

Lastly if FA is annotated it could almost replace a second pass of UW if hard pressed for time.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you annotate FA with UW in your first pass, does it hurt you during your second UW pass because you've essentially 'written down the answers'?

If you annotate FA with UW in your first pass, does it hurt you during your second UW pass because you've essentially 'written down the answers'?

No.

Focus on important things. Btw, if you memorized the conceptual basis for 2200 Uworld questions, you will have one of the highest scores ever.

Outside of path and anatomy there isn't really that much information outside FA. And almost everything that isn't in FA in path is in Goljan. Biochem is deceitful because the Hb and cell signaling questions are not in the biochem section of FA but in the physiology sections. 90%+ can be figured from FA really, and they love to test you on the tiny little details in FA that you might have missed.

I agree with parapharase what you do not know rather than looking if it's in FA or not. I would concentrate on the couple of lines at the end of each explanation. It's a judgement call what to take as important and what is not. A lot of the information is just there to make the explanation more palatable. You don't need to know every single piece of info they mention.

Doing any second pass of UWorld isn't going to be that helpful. You will end up remember the answers, not necessarily why the answer is right. People love doing a second pass because it's another thing to do, but I would bet their actual Step 1 scores aren't any higher because of it.

Also, limiting a second pass to your incorrects again or marked questions if you marked a bunch of hard ones also has diminishing returns. Re-doing the really hard questions is pointless for two reasons: 1. you may remember the answer but not why it's right (like above), 2. the exam is not full of really hard questions. You may be missing the forest for the trees if you focus on the random tough questions.

That's why I argue against a second-pass of UWorld. You should really only do one solid run through UWorld, and top it off with UWSAs and/or NBMEs. You don't need much more than that as far as question sources.

Doing any second pass of UWorld isn't going to be that helpful. You will end up remember the answers, not necessarily why the answer is right. People love doing a second pass because it's another thing to do, but I would bet their actual Step 1 scores aren't any higher because of it.

Also, limiting a second pass to your incorrects again or marked questions if you marked a bunch of hard ones also has diminishing returns. Re-doing the really hard questions is pointless for two reasons: 1. you may remember the answer but not why it's right (like above), 2. the exam is not full of really hard questions. You may be missing the forest for the trees if you focus on the random tough questions.

That's why I argue against a second-pass of UWorld. You should really only do one solid run through UWorld, and top it off with UWSAs and/or NBMEs. You don't need much more than that as far as question sources.

Good advice. Although, how do you define a solid run-through?

Guys, why don't you simply cut FA off its binder? And add your annotations (either word documents or written stuff) between pages...

I have a question too.
Do you think that annotating stuff from review books could be useful? (maybe reducing the workload during qbanks afterwards... dunno)

Good advice. Although, how do you define a solid run-through?

Always doing it on random, timed. Starting with maybe 40 questions a day, escalating as your study period goes. Go through explanations thoroughly, annotating things that aren't in First Aid or need emphasizing.

Definitely do a second pass of UWorld.

The first pass should be random, timed (as Kaputt has said).

But the second pass should be random, tutor-mode. This way, any doubts can be cleared up on the spot.

You won't remember as many questions as you think. Regardless, it doesn't matter. The rapid recall skills you gain from the second pass are important.

You will also get questions wrong on the second pass that you had gotten correct on the first pass. This isn't because you've forgotten stuff. It's because you'll naturally be less careful on the second pass. But this nevertheless does teach you what you know really well vs merely okay. Do your second pass.

Guys, why don't you simply cut FA off its binder? And add your annotations (either word documents or written stuff) between pages...

I have a question too.
Do you think that annotating stuff from review books could be useful? (maybe reducing the workload during qbanks afterwards... dunno)

Some people have done that, but that technique, imo, negates the purpose of annotating. Annotations, by definition, are meant to be concise notes. Although you will have tons of them by the time you sit the exam, they should always be nothing more than succinct clarifications. If you start adding pages to FA in binder-form, then you'll start to feel comfortable writing way more than you should, and that's not to your benefit, especially when you near the exam and will want quick notes to blast through.

Only annotate from QBanks, not question or review books.

Some people have done that, but that technique, imo, negates the purpose of annotating. Annotations, by definition, are meant to be concise notes. Although you will have tons of them by the time you sit the exam, they should always be nothing more than succinct clarifications. If you start adding pages to FA in binder-form, then you'll start to feel comfortable writing way more than you should, and that's not to your benefit, especially when you near the exam and will want quick notes to blast through.

Thanks. This is probably the best thing to do...

Definitely do a second pass of UWorld.

The first pass should be random, timed (as Kaputt has said).

But the second pass should be random, tutor-mode. This way, any doubts can be cleared up on the spot.

You won't remember as many questions as you think. Regardless, it doesn't matter. The rapid recall skills you gain from the second pass are important.

You will also get questions wrong on the second pass that you had gotten correct on the first pass. This isn't because you've forgotten stuff. It's because you'll naturally be less careful on the second pass. But this nevertheless does teach you what you know really well vs merely okay. Do your second pass.

If you have months to prepare, maybe you could squeeze some use out of a second pass of UWorld. Maybe. But I still doubt it.

Anybody who is taking the normal 4-6 weeks to study should not waste their study time doing a second pass of UWorld. Just do one really good pass.

I was more thinking about doing one pass during the second half of second year, and then a second pass during the 4 week studying period.

I was more thinking about doing one pass during the second half of second year, and then a second pass during the 4 week studying period.

IMO...I think you would get more out of doing one pass in Kaplan during the second half of MS2, and saving uworld for a single pass during your dedicated study period

Meh, there is no cookie cutter method to success. I didn't annotate a single thing and did very well. If annotation works well with your learning method then go for it but that is something you need to decide for yourself.

I have a question too.

Phloston said:
Only annotate from QBanks, not question or review books

I just want to say that it is extremely important to be "ready" when you start doing USMLE World, so if you have that time to afford review books/other question banks over just FA + USMLE World do them; especially for path. That should be a priority over 2 passes from USMLE World.

I also agree with the idea that the value of a second pass in USMLE World is highly overstated. In fact, it is better to go for a USMLE World sprint (in the last 4 weeks) while having memorized most of the material rather than doing them fresh without training (which is contrary to the advice of USMLE World) months ahead. The biggest value of the question bank is to teach you how to think and how to problem solve rather than to memorize the material. You will lose a lot of that if you start USMLE World without having mastered (i.e memorized) the material. Scoring high on USMLE World from a first pass will also boost your confidence, as I really don't think a high score on the second pass means much of anything.

Last edited:

Could you give an example of one of your annotations?

I started doing uworld and tried annotating into FA but took over 8 hours to do 40 ?s.

Here's my question for anyone that may have tried this:

I'm thinking of just using the highlight function on uworld and then searching in FA for the relevant topic and simply writing into FA the corresponding test and question number from uworld. (i.e. sicke cell anemia : test #24-quesiton#35).

Is this an effective method? or am I screwing myself over when I go over everything in FA during the last 10 days before the exam? Thanks.

IMO...I think you would get more out of doing one pass in Kaplan during the second half of MS2, and saving uworld for a single pass during your dedicated study period

Yes, agreed. Use UWorld freshly for your dedicated study time. Don't waste it by using it during 2nd year.

Could you give an example of one of your annotations?

For instance, next to the anti-Parkinson drugs on p. 478 (IIRC) of FA2012, I remember having made a quick note that the non-ergots are preferred b/c the ergots are fungal-derived (can cause hallucinations) and can cause vasoconstriction.

I may have circled the ergots and had written "hallucinations/vasoconstriction."

Your annotations should be quick notes.

I started doing uworld and tried annotating into FA but took over 8 hours to do 40 ?s.

I've replied to your same question here on one of your other threads. As such, that's a relatively normal pace. I had gone through UWorld at 6-8 hrs/day per 50 questions. Some days were 9-10 hours. Others were probably 5. It depends on how many of the articles in the explanations you read into and/or how often you cross-reference your FA and/or how many annotations you're making and/or how many novel concepts there are that you need to wrap your head around.