How deep do medical schools search an applicant personally?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PicardAndRoll

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How deep do medical schools go with respect to looking at your Facebook, the type of things you post, etc.

I had some pretty stupid days in my past. Like really stupid. I just turned 20 last month, too, and I still think I'm going to laugh at my 20 year old self when I'm 24. Anywho, this was garbage I posted probably on some random FB group like a news source, etc. or some random media page. At the end of the day, I was an idiot.

You know that phase that some people are young have when they think they're a revolutionary thinker or people give a digestive excrement about their philosophy? Yeah, being good academically didn't stop me from being that stupid socially.

I was going to deactivate all social media/digital content that displays personal information and stay idle on the internet in every way possible from the day I apply to medical school until I got the acceptance letter and accepted the school I want at the end of it all.

What do you guys/gals think?

Edit: What I said wasn't super stupid or something that was morally wrong (taking morality to be the day to day US layman set of guidelines. It just looks weird and embarrassing. I'm finding ways to delete my e-trail or mitigate it). I'm just hoping any displayed maturity I have in ECs, LORs, research, and interview composure would establish my maturity as a candidate.

Members don't see this ad.

We won't be able to help unless you post specific examples of what you said on FB.

In other words, :pics:

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Pseudo-political/philosophical stuff. The type that you read and say to yourself, "This kid is trying too hard". The type that nearly every sheltered first world middle class hormonal teenager who wants to be an intellectual but is confused and lost in a world of nearly seven billion feels obligated to talk about.

I didn't say that the President was a communist born in Kenya out to destroy the world or that GOP is an evil, racist, gang out to milk every penny out of old women and babies.

Nothing like that. And no, no extrapolations of the latter ideas either.

Reactions: 1 user
Pseudo-political/philosophical stuff. The type that you read and say to yourself, "This kid is trying too hard". The type that nearly every sheltered first world middle class hormonal teenager who wants to be an intellectual but is confused and lost in a world of nearly seven billion feels obligated to talk about.

I didn't say that the President was a communist born in Kenya out to destroy the world or that GOP is an evil, racist, gang out to milk every penny out of old women and babies.

More than likely, nobody will care. Screens of social media posts are usually done to make sure you're not a nutter, racist, etc. (i.e., things unrelated to poorly-thought-through political commentary.)

I'm allergic to latex. Just a heads up for the adcoms.

Just let them know to have some vinyl ones on hand. Also, some give you a choice between KY and Vaseline. Pro tip, go for the KY ;).

You're on fire tonight, mate...

g1328737203758819531.jpg

Last edited:
Just delete whatever stupid ish you put on Facebook

Change your Facebook username to something innocuous, then delete the page. If you feel compelled to be on social media, restart one with your own name, and this time try not to post things you'll regret not even 5 years later.

I know of people who who have had their acceptances rescinded based upon Facebook and SDN posts. Howvever, those were for "unprofessional" behavior. Posting about the plight of the masses or the need for the Reviolution won't get you into hot water.

But this is a good lesson that yes, Admissions personnel view social media sites. So just don't threaten anyone, make racist or grossly offensive comments, post naked selfies or you toking up or taking a big hit from a bong.

How deep do medical schools go with respect to looking at your Facebook, the type of things you post, etc.

I had some pretty stupid days in my past. Like really stupid. I just turned 20 last month, too, and I still think I'm going to laugh at my 20 year old self when I'm 24. Anywho, this was garbage I posted probably on some random FB group like a news source, etc. or some random media page. At the end of the day, I was an idiot.

You know that phase that some people are young have when they think they're a revolutionary thinker or people give a digestive excrement about their philosophy? Yeah, being good academically didn't stop me from being that stupid socially.

I was going to deactivate all social media/digital content that displays personal information and stay idle on the internet in every way possible from the day I apply to medical school until I got the acceptance letter and accepted the school I want at the end of it all.

What do you guys/gals think?

Edit: What I said wasn't super stupid or something that was morally wrong (taking morality to be the day to day US layman set of guidelines. It just looks weird and embarrassing. I'm finding ways to delete my e-trail or mitigate it). I'm just hoping any displayed maturity I have in ECs, LORs, research, and interview composure would establish my maturity as a candidate.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Changing your facebook username wont do anything anymore. Facebook now searches your old usernames and links them to your new ones if someone does a search for you. You need to use the "activity log" and manually delete information. This is the best way.

From what I can tell, it isn't older full time administration that searches but the students, obviously my observations are not scientific. Also, not every school does this, you can peruse a couple "accepted class of" pages and see lots of individuals with racist, etc, stuff on their pages and they did not get their acceptances revoked, but it happens so dont be stupid.

I had an acceptance to graduate school revoked at one point due to something innocent found on a professional organization's website (I had been an officer for a professional organization, but I was changing fields.)

I do know some adcomms are checking the forum. I had one person (dean at MSU) which basically clued me in that he knew who I was on SDN mostly because I had posted something the previous day about worrying about getting into an accident when I drove home, then the next day he said "Don't get into an accident on the way home". Not that I am all that hard to really figure out. Two minutes of searching on google can literally tell you everything you want to know about me minus my politics and will link you to my Facebook, Linkedin, etc. I am also consistent across sites.

Luckily, I am not particularly racist, sexist, or anything. I have a pretty clean record although I would hardly say boring. Everything that medical schools could object to in my past was already told to them.

Well, phew.
I know of people who who have had their acceptances rescinded based upon Facebook and SDN posts. Howvever, those were for "unprofessional" behavior. Posting about the plight of the masses or the need for the Reviolution won't get you into hot water.

But this is a good lesson that yes, Admissions personnel view social media sites. So just don't threaten anyone, make racist or grossly offensive comments, post naked selfies or you toking up or taking a big hit from a bong.

SDN posts?! How unaware do you have to be to expose who you are as an individual on this forum? No one on this forum will know what school I go to, what schools I will (hopefully) get accepted to, and the names of any technical people I work under, specific programs, or any in depth ec's I do (probably leave it something generic like "tutoring" as opposed to the name of the institution that I tutor at).....

For example, I do research as part of a very small, and selective funded group funded by the US Govt...but I wouldn't detail the type of research or the publications, the government department funding it, etc. as it can be easily found out from some limited information with a Google search...

That's why I'm trying to burn up any trail of who I am that's already out there even though I won't apply for probably another 2 years. I'm going all out, e-mailing mods for websites, etc. to delete things.

Well, phew.

SDN posts?! How unaware do you have to be to expose who you are as an individual on this forum? No one on this forum will know what school I go to, what schools I will (hopefully) get accepted to, and the names of any technical people I work under, specific programs, or any in depth ec's I do (probably leave it something generic like "tutoring" as opposed to the name of the institution that I tutor at).....

For example, I do research as part of a very small, and selective funded group funded by the US Govt...but I wouldn't detail the type of research or the publications, the government department funding it, etc. as it can be easily found out from some limited information with a Google search...

That's why I'm trying to burn up any trail of who I am that's already out there even though I won't apply for probably another 2 years. I'm going all out, e-mailing mods for websites, etc. to delete things.

Some people expose themselves by giving away too much personal information. But I remember a thread on here where one guy had his identity revealed from his fake twitter or something. I'm sure you're really careful but there are a lot of people who are just careless.

SDN posts?!

The person Goro is referring to is kind of notorious on SDN and posted some ridiculously racist crap on FB (what would've been his med school classe's page IIR). If you're already this concerned I think you'll be fine. Just excercise tact.

Any decent school has deep connections with the CIA (among other intelligence agencies) and runs deep checks on every action you've taken since you've came out of the womb. Don't be surprised if that fight you got into in the third grade costs you your admission. Schools look for flawless human beings who mind their own business, do what they're told, never drink or smoke and only have sex in the missionary position under the sheets in the dark for the sole purpose of procreation. Watch what you do.

Reactions: 8 users
Any decent school has deep connections with the CIA (among other intelligence agencies) and runs deep checks on every action you've taken since you've came out of the womb. Don't be surprised if that fight you got into in the third grade costs you your admission. Schools look for flawless human beings who mind their own business, do what they're told, never drink or smoke and only have sex in the missionary position under the sheets in the dark for the sole purpose of procreation. Watch what you do.

You think they still have surveillance video of me looking too long at the G-Unit shirts in the mall when 50 Cent was big around the 4th grade? If so, will I get judged for it even though I didn't purchase anything?

You think they still have surveillance video of me looking too long at the G-Unit shirts in the mall when 50 Cent was big around the 4th grade? If so, will I get judged for it even though I didn't purchase anything?
4th grade!? I'm oooold :coffee:.

I'd personally recommend not applying in the US and just go to the caribbean. At least there, you won't be judged by your embarrassing behavior as a kid.

I found out I was old when I realized "Yeah" by Usher was released a decade ago. And I don't think I'm that old to be honest :(

Well if it makes you feel better I was 16-17 when 50¢ was popular.

I'd personally recommend not applying in the US and just go to the caribbean. At least there, you won't be judged by your embarrassing behavior as a kid.

Not even if I got LORs from 50 himself to go to NY schools?

There's Columbia, NYU, Cornell/Rockefeller.

Everyone does that, it's the "sophomore-philosophy" stage of life. Then you learn that the world is more complex than you once thought, or you get jaded and tired of being an idealist. They say that the optimist sees life as it should be, the realist sees life as it is, and the pessimist sees both. Still. I think it's endearing to be gung-ho about some things when you're younger, even if it's cringe-worthy in retrospect. And I really doubt that adcoms are going to dig through 3-4 years of facebook posts to find your high school posts.

On a related note, I refuse to believe that adcoms disapprove of nude selfies. How can they resist my... assets? Note to self: flex and pose in interview.

Reactions: 3 users
Well if it makes you feel better I was 16-17 when 50¢ was popular.

It's okay. Too bad 50 isn't relevant anymore :/

Reviewing some micro, and they're reviewing some concepts of genetics. Just read about the double stranded "2 chains" (immediately though about 2 Chainz) properties of DNA....

Q: T/F- Phosphodiester bonds play a role in establishing covalent bonding between the Phosphate groups and the pentoses in DNA.

A: (2 Chainz voice): TRUUUUUUUUUU

What did he say?

Can't remember. A lot of it has been deleted. You may be able to find some remnants if you're skilled at google cache hunting.

...this is why I don't have a facebook account....

...this is why I don't have a facebook account....
I feel the same way. However, club affiliation and other activities are slowly necessitating that I get one. :annoyed: I suppose it will just be my name, or even a pseudonym.

I feel the same way. However, club affiliation and other activities are slowly necessitating that I get one. :annoyed: I suppose it will just be my name, or even a pseudonym.

I have one for that reason and for games. I don't really post anything on it.

I'm not making the news, just reporting it. Some pope drop enough hints about themselves that Admissions people can apparently suss out who they are.

It's not the nudity, it's the poor judgment. We want students who make smart choices. Given the surplus of highly qualified candidates for a small number of seats, we'll take those who smart make smart choices. This DOES make for an interesting interview question!

On a related note, I refuse to believe that adcoms disapprove of nude selfies. How can they resist my... assets? Note to self: flex and pose in interview.[/QUOTE]

It's not the nudity, it's the poor judgment. We want students who make smart choices.

Which is why a colonoscopy and full metabolic panel will soon be a requirement.

Med schools won't want students who are obese, eat too much junk food, or neglect their veggies. All of those show poor judgement.

If I have to move for med school, I'm going to finally get one so I can keep in touch with family and friends in one place.

But I am going to give away as little as possible when that occurs.

If I have to move for med school, I'm going to finally get one so I can keep in touch with family and friends in one place.

But I am going to give away as little as possible when that occurs.

It will be as if Ron Swanson were forced to have an FB account. All the fields will say "None of your damn business."

Reactions: 2 users
Now now, Spinach, you know better than that. It seems I may have poked a nerve, though. There's poor judgment when it relates to personal choices, because it is a free country after all. BUT, there' a difference between poor choices and pizza, and plain stupid. We dismissed a student once because he stayed involved in his old consulting job.

So certain poor choices makes us wonder if you can make the right choices in med school. When time mgt is so crucial for a medical student, poor choice making can rapidly derail a career. Capeesh?

Which is why a colonoscopy and full metabolic panel will soon be a requirement.

Med schools won't want students who are obese, eat too much junk food, or neglect their veggies. All of those show poor judgement.

Ah, I didn't clarify. He failed multiple courses because he thought he could consult and do medical school at the same time. Alas, you can't.

This part I don't quite follow. If the student is passing all of his classes and being a responsible student in general, then why can't he stay involved in his job?

It's okay. Too bad 50 isn't relevant anymore :/

Reviewing some micro, and they're reviewing some concepts of genetics. Just read about the double stranded "2 chains" (immediately though about 2 Chainz) properties of DNA....

Q: T/F- Phosphodiester bonds play a role in establishing covalent bonding between the Phosphate groups and the pentoses in DNA.

A: (2 Chainz voice): TRUUUUUUUUUU

If I could like this post more than once (preferably 2463412 times), I would.

This part I don't quite follow. If the student is passing all of his classes and being a responsible student in general, then why can't he stay involved in his job?

I'd have to assume that the particular student wasn't doing well.

Edit: looks like I got beat. :p

facebook isn't worth the hassle, if you dont want adcoms creeping you and digging up dirt just delete it. you'll thank me later because there's so many better things you could be doing than facebook anyway.

People can take political correctness way to extremes and be very hyper-sensitive, so you can never be too careful. If you have any doubt in your mind, just delete it.

This is mostly true, but I heard some schools regard a little BDSM favorably. It can get you points for diversity and interesting life experiences.

Very true. I have some students so sensitive that they're offended by water.

One more thing to avoid: don't bash the school that you' re going to attend.

facebook isn't worth the hassle, if you dont want adcoms creeping you and digging up dirt just delete it. you'll thank me later because there's so many better things you could be doing than facebook anyway.

People can take political correctness way to extremes and be very hyper-sensitive, so you can never be too careful. If you have any doubt in your mind, just delete it.

This is mostly true, but I heard some schools regard a little BDSM favorably. It can get you points for diversity and interesting life experiences.

Dammit I knew I shouldn't have cut that out of my PS!

One more thing to avoid: don't bash the school that you' re going to attend.

Omg seriously? That's like rule number 1!