Youngm2194

2+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2014
I have a very high upward trend my last two years. Ended with a 3.3 but had 3.66, 3.5, 3.75, 3.57 my last 4 semesters with the previous 4 semesters being (3.3, 2.6, 3.2, 2.9). Last two years I took all upper level science classes and got a lot of A-/As in them. I was figuring out my science gpa from my first two years to my last two years and it goes from 2.86 fresh/soph to a 3.66 (J and S).

Sorry for all the stats but I'm just wondering how detailed adcoms look into the trend, do they look just to see that it went up or will they notice this about my sGPA too? My sGPA isn't as high (little over 3.2) because a lot of the classes I took my first 2 years were 4 credits so have more weight unfortunately. The reason I'm asking because I just graduated and work in a lab (top 3 hospital) and wanted to possibly take another science class or two but I'm not sure if it is worth it....any thoughts? It would be at an Ivy too so if I got an A it would look good I'm assuming yet it would only be a class or two. Also 515 on MCAT 128-P 131-B 128-CARS 128-Psych

Thanks for the help

Reactions: MiamiBoyy

Pinocytosis

2+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2015
Status
Medical Student
I think your MCAT speaks louder than your upward trend. I'm not entirely sure what adcoms qualify as an upward trend (i.e. every single semester is better than the previous semesters or the c/sGPA continually rises). Any insight into what the specific definition is would be appreciated. I, for instance, had a subpar freshman year, but continually increase my GPA except for one mild dip.

I do truly believe MCAT score > upward trend. Upward trend shows you've stepped it up a notch in your academic efforts, but a good MCAT score indicates you're doing well compared to other applicants (515 is like.. a 92/93 percentile?).

Check out the chart Lawper cited in this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/a-compilation-of-essential-sdn-wisdom.1177034/

MiamiBoyy

2+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
In a very similar boat as you @Youngm2194 in terms of GPA and MCAT . Also debating whether I should take a couple more classes however without financial aid Im not sure if its worth the cost.

How much does a 6 credit semester show an adcom?

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
AMCAS will display a chart that shows gpa and number of credits taken for:
BCPM (biology chemistry physics math), AO (all other) and Total
by
academic year (yr 1, yr 2, etc)
Then there is a row for total, a row for post-bac, a row for total including post-bac, and a row for graduate work.

So, your gpa by semester isn't obvious but by year is.

Pinocytosis

2+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2015
Status
Medical Student
by
Then there is a row for total, a row for post-bac, a row for total including post-bac, and a row for graduate work.

Oh, so much like what applicants see when they view the PDF/HTML version of their application. Thank you for the information.

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
by

SAMPLE BELOW

AMCAS GPA Grid Good.jpg

Reactions: LizzyM

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
I, for one, pay careful attention to upward trends and will always go to bat for a candidate with one. Your best chances will always be with your state school(s).

iwh

Nov 23, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I, for one, pay careful attention to upward trends and will always go to bat for a candidate with one. Your best chances will always be with your state school(s).
What would you think if you saw a 3.2->3.1->2.5->1.9->4.0->4.0->4.0->4.0?

gellal

2+ Year Member
May 14, 2016
Your sophomore year is definitely on the low side (and I'm guessing all those 4.0's are just future predictions), but it's not uncommon to have a "U" shaped trend especially when taking organic chemistry (among other challenging classes) sophomore year.

iwh

Nov 23, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Your sophomore year is definitely on the low side (and I'm guessing all those 4.0's are just future predictions), but it's not uncommon to have a "U" shaped trend especially when taking organic chemistry (among other challenging classes) sophomore year.
Yeah, I found where my study habits and social insecurities were lacking this summer, so those 4.0s are predictions. I actually took O CHem my freshman year, but thanks for the help!

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
I'd say that someone really reinvented him/herself, and the you of now is not the you of then. People who can do this, and get a good MCAT score, end up getting accepted to med school.