How deep in the rank list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Frijolero

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's still early in the game, but I'm leaning towards family right now and wondering what percentage of US grads match into 1st, 2nd, 3rd choice, etc. Anyone have this data? I've seen the big ol' NBME pdf with all the subanalyses but it's not included. Even anecdotal evidence would be great. I'm just wondering if I'll be stuck in bufu instead of some beautiful mountain town out west. Thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

Someone at a FM program where I interviewed told me that very few american grads going into FM don't get one of their top 2 choices. I have no statistics to back that statement up, but that's what I was told. Most people get their #1.

I realize Family Medicine is not competitive... but... the nature of medicine is competitive... if you have high scores you will probably go after harder programs not the bottom tiers....

e.g. you got step 1 and 2 85 but you are trying to get into Yale, Harvard and a bunch of Ivy leagues..... so what are you chances of getting first choice? What if you only applied to regular state universities like University of virginia or washington state?

Basically, you have to guestimate how competitive you are for your top 1 and 2 spots that you are going to rank (and you can by looking at the previous residents they took score wise). If you feel you aren't that competitive for them... then you might be stretching it thinking that you will match at them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I realize Family Medicine is not competitive... but... the nature of medicine is competitive... if you have high scores you will probably go after harder programs not the bottom tiers....

e.g. you got step 1 and 2 85 but you are trying to get into Yale, Harvard and a bunch of Ivy leagues..... so what are you chances of getting first choice? What if you only applied to regular state universities like University of virginia or washington state?

Basically, you have to guestimate how competitive you are for your top 1 and 2 spots that you are going to rank (and you can by looking at the previous residents they took score wise). If you feel you aren't that competitive for them... then you might be stretching it thinking that you will match at them.

Good point. How do you get access to the scores of those previously accepted into programs? That doesn't seem like something readily available.

Talk to your Dean, they know the history of your school matching... if you are a foreign grad with no dean support then life sucks....

A second thing you can do is ask residents during interviews or ask attendings. (Better answer from the residents to be honest).

Just a reminder...Ivy League or big name medical school does not necessarily = good family medicine program. Name recognition means very little in FM because you don't go on to fellowships like you do in IM, or if you do, they are not difficult to get into.

Just be careful and be sure to look closely at programs and what kind of training you are going to get, not just at their name.

Just a reminder...Ivy League or big name medical school does not necessarily = good family medicine program. Name recognition means very little in FM because you don't go on to fellowships like you do in IM, or if you do, they are not difficult to get into.

Just be careful and be sure to look closely at programs and what kind of training you are going to get, not just at their name.

SShhh.... dont tell them that Soph.. that way they do go there and leave the good programs for us.

I think the vast majority of your colleagues feel the same way, dude. Most of the people going into family that I know dont give a shiit about big name schools. Here's what's important to me: >250 days of sun or partly cloudy a year, unopposed, <65hr workweek, residents that genuinely like the place, and a decent amount of clinic time. I'm thinking I may call Colorado or Utah home for a few years, maybe more.

Just a reminder...Ivy League or big name medical school does not necessarily = good family medicine program...Just be careful and be sure to look closely at programs and what kind of training you are going to get, not just at their name.

One word...

...Duke.

[Realizing that I may have summoned Panda Bear with that utterance. ;) ]

One word...

...Duke.

[Realizing that I may have summoned Panda Bear with that utterance. ;) ]

Oh man... Kent you have got to have been a D&D player or some sort of RPG to make that statement. :laugh: :laugh:

:laugh: Either that or he actually *is* a 7th level wizard. He must have rolled a 20 with that one...again, I think I've said too much.:laugh: :laugh: