How deep you should study for onco?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lakeprincess

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

A lot of folks here mentioned importance of ONC and HIV but how deep should I study compared to Rx Quiz test bank?

Any opinion would be highly appreciated,
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I didn't run into any HIV questions, but it sounds like you should know CrCL cutoffs, major toxicities, and some brand names for HIV meds. You also should probably know some basics for opportunistic infections in immunocompromised patients. Personally, my NAPLEX only had dosing questions for oncology. You wouldn't need to know anything beyond BSA calculation to get the questions right. Based on what other people are saying, you should know major toxicities. Appropriate therapy selection is not a major NAPLEX topic.

I had 40+ HIV questions. I had some repeats, so yeah. I would know specific drug interactions with each HIV class and each drug (even the obscure ones). For onco, I would know antiemetic therapy like the back of your hand, including alternatives. I'd also know about a great deal about neutropenia. I got a beast of a test, so you probably won't have it as bad as me.

For onc, I only memorized the bolded/underlined portion of the two sections. You should be able to get through both RxPrep sections within 2-3 hours. Don't bother revisiting the chapters!

Members don't see this ad :)
I personally only got 2 oncology questions and a bunch on HIV (many were repeated concepts). I recommend focusing on the main drugs and side effects for oncology. For HIV focus on opportunistic infections prophylaxis and common side effects for each drug class.

I just took my NAPLEX today and I spent maybe 3 days focusing on onco and HIV inside out, literally knew as much as I possibly could for those two topics. Funny enough, I only had 1 question on oncology and 0 on HIV. My friend who took it a week ago had almost all HIV and onco. So to be safe, know as much as you can, you never know.