How detrimental is it to mention mental illness?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

floatingribs

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had an eating disorder as a child and it was treated before I even started high school, but looking back on this experience is one of the biggest motivators for me to pursue medicine + I feel it can add greatly to how I'd add diversity to medicine b/c I didn't fit the image (and had a bad experience because of it) and thus have a very different outlook because of it.

Since college my gpa and sgpa are both greater than 3.85, I work 2 part times, volunteer consistently in clinical and non-clinical settings, and will have at least 2 research posters by the time of applying. I mean there's no indication that I'm stressed or not thriving in an academic environment.

I'm not applying for another 2-3 years, but I was just curious.

Members don't see this ad.

I had an eating disorder as a child and it was treated before I even started high school, but looking back on this experience is one of the biggest motivators for me to pursue medicine + I feel it can add greatly to how I'd add diversity to medicine b/c I didn't fit the image (and had a bad experience because of it) and thus have a very different outlook because of it.

Since college my gpa and sgpa are both greater than 3.85, I work 2 part times, volunteer consistently in clinical and non-clinical settings, and will have at least 2 research posters by the time of applying. I mean there's no indication that I'm stressed or not thriving in an academic environment.

I'm not applying for another 2-3 years, but I was just curious.
You have demonstrated that Adcoms needn't worry about your mental health.

Reactions: 1 users