1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

How did everyone feel about written part 1 today?

Discussion in 'NBDE Exams & Licensure Exams' started by unlvdmd, Jul 17, 2006.

1. unlvdmd

unlvdmd Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

What are the general feelings about it? My school felt biochem/phys= HARD! Anatomy= not bad. Micro/path= HARD! Dental anatomy= glad I did old exams :D

EDIT= PUT IN WHAT YOU USED (thanks snake)

I used decks, old exams, USMLE for phys and path only, kaplan for DA.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. krystalben

krystalben krystalb

Dental Student
    I def agree!

4. Solid Snake DDS

Solid Snake DDS Student DDS
    5+ Year Member

Beat me too it. :laugh:

Mod please merge my thread

5. unlvdmd

unlvdmd Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

SNAKE- How funny that our opinions are totally different!!! I guess that is why the curve works out for us all in the end. :)

6. Dr. Future

Dr. Future Member
    5+ Year Member

Amen! I left the Biochemistry exam thinking what the hell just happened. It was supposed to be one of my strongest sections. Dental anatomy was tiring! Well, thank God it's over!

7. openwyd22

openwyd22 Member
    7+ Year Member

My class seemed to think pretty similar. Biochem/Phys was definitely more difficult than the others with Micro/Path next.

Even though dental anatomy should be relatively easy and there are many released papers that have questions, I thought it wasn't real simple. Not ridiculous, but I thought I hadn't seen many questions on mandibular movements (mediotrusive, laterotrusive, group function, Bennet mov't, etc.) and those questions may have gotten me. We'll see.

Biochem was brutal.

speaking of, what transports fatty acids into the cell? Is is carnitine?
    thanks

8. openwyd22

openwyd22 Member
    7+ Year Member

Sorry, I used Decks, old exams, and USMLE for reference. Also Netter's Anatomy text.

These resources were very good for anatomy and micro/path for me. The other two sections, I am not so sure.

9. Trookie

Trookie Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Absolutely. For me, it was:

Biochem > Micro > Anatomy > Dental Anatomy

I have always had a hard time with biochem/phys just because it is so dry, so no surprise there. However, micro was MUCH more difficult than I expected it to be. DA was also more difficult, but I skipped to this section instead of starting with micro so I really took my time and thought my answers through.

I used the decks, old exams (1998, 1996, 1989), Netter's, and a board review DVD for anatomy. I studied about 12 hours a day for 3 weeks. I am only looking to pass. :)

10. unlvdmd

unlvdmd Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Edit: deleted because this contained a specific question from exam. Just read gavin's post about grounds for withholding scores.

11. rocknightmare

rocknightmare Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    trookie!! you made it!!

12. mjotr2

mjotr2 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dentist
    I thought the overall exam was easy. I studied for 2 months 8-12 hrs a day, so if you put in the time it is a breeze. First part was a lot of repeats, second part was hardly any repeats. I personnaly thought biochem and gross were easy. The micro/path section was my worst subject I quess that's why the curve for mico/path is the lowest. Tooth was easy for me but I did exceptionally well in that class all year long. NOT ONE PIC everything was in written out. Time consuming didn't ask Mandibular central said 24/25 for options mesial of 24 distal of 3.

Overall if you put in the time studying you will do fline it is not hard, but don't take it from a guy who was just trying to get a 75 so I can keep matriculating with my class.( I feel as though I will get high 80's or low 90's)

Old exams first released and ..., Dental decks.., I only went through decks once and didn't go through all of them

13. unlvdmd

unlvdmd Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

So what were you doing for 2 months for 12 hours a day? :eek:

14. unlvdmd

unlvdmd Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Oh, I see. That makes sense. That takes a while. Well good luck to you! You deserve to get up there in the scores with that kind of study time. :luck:

15. mjotr2

mjotr2 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dentist
    Well my school takes it after the first year, so we had plenty of time my school offered an internal review but I didn't attend.

16. GoGatorsDMD

GoGatorsDMD Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I thought micro/path was hardest, though biochem was kind of tough also. Anatomy wasn't that bad though I missed a couple I prolly shouldn't have. Dental anatomy was exasperating but I thought it was cake.

How long does it take for us to get scores?

17. mjotr2

mjotr2 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dentist
    6 to 8 wks. they will mail them to your address that you recieved your admission ticket for.

18. Trookie

Trookie Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Just a reminder to those of you who have been private messaging me. Telling you what questions I remember from the boards is a violation of the confidentiality agreement. Why don't you try a simple concept calling STUDYING HARD, instead of scrounging for questions that probably won't be helpful to you anyway?

19. unlvdmd

unlvdmd Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Me too! I won't answer.

20. Jess25

Jess25 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    My friend and I will be doing the computerized version on August 3rd. We both chickened out from the written test.... sigh.... but we're stressing out. Quick question to y'all...

--where did you study from and for which subject??
    --which practice exams did you do?
    --how similiar was the actual exam to the old papers?
    --has the exam changed all that much?
    In particular the patho section?
    PLUS, why was biochem so difficult?
    --what in your opinion is the best study source after writing the exam?
    We've got both 2004 and 2006 Decks,
    --does anyone find one over the other better???

Congrats to you all for doing the exam (hey you went), i hope you all did well... and if you could answer it would be GREAT as time is ticking away :eek:

A very petrified Jess25...
    Thanks...

21. Jo23

Jo23 Member
    7+ Year Member

I took my exam today.
    The day didn't start very well considering the prometric center had a power outage from 7:30-10:30 and my exam was squeduled at 8:30.
    Anyway, overall I thought it was pretty hard, there were about 5 questions in each section that I have never heard of.There were also some repeated questions from old exams, but not many and usually the easy ones :( There were also some questions that some people have posted on SDN.
    I guess I will start giving tips about what to study after I get me scores :) just to make sure I'm giving the right advice.
    I studied for 3 weeks, about 12 hours/day, but I do feel I already had a good background, especially in gross anatomy.
    I would like to thank you all for participating in this forum which has motivated me a lot now as well as during my DAT preparation.
    Good luck to you all!

22. wise146

wise146 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Good luck with your results, would you mind emailing me the questions you got off the forum. thanks. and good luck. [email protected]

23. ToothMonkey

ToothMonkey Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I studied decks, old exams, First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 (mneumonics only), & a high-yield outline for biochemistry obtained from upperclassmen.

I did all the old exams twice. I'm not sure how useful that time was though, as I saw relatively few repeats. Definitely focus on more recent exams (1990's & up). The ones from the 70's are a joke.

I took the computer exam, not written, so I can't speak to that. Based on my experience though the toughest part was occlusion. They asked 4-5 crazy questions about how a condyle moves in the fossa during various eccentric movements. One of my friends had the same questions while another did not, so YMMV. Path had some tough ones too, but you can't sweat those--it's simply not time-effective to memorize every single symptom of every single disease they might ask about.

Decks by far. Honestly, this is JMO but I think you're better off focusing on fewer study sources and learning them as well as possible. Don't spread yourself too thin.

I never used the 2006 version, but I knew 2004 inside & out and that was more than enough for the exam. If you have the option I would use 2006, but don't sweat it if you don't.

Don't stress over the exam. It's not that bad. IIRC you need roughly half right (or even less) to pass. You'll be fine if you have made an honest effort to study. I saw a scan of an official breakdown of scores & it showed that 2% of test takers fail. The document was from the 80's but I doubt the distribution has changed any since then. So basically that tells you it's almost impossible to fail if you try.

24. molarjuncky

molarjuncky Member
    5+ Year Member

Dentist
    I have a wk left and dont have the USMLE study aid? do i really need it or just go over the decks a third time? can u share the hi power biochem material you have? i want to make above a 90. would sincerely appreciate any last minute input. [email protected]

25. ToothMonkey

ToothMonkey Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Oops, just realized I goofed. While I did look through the First Aid book I actually got most of my mneumonics from medicalmnemonics.com. Direct Link (2MB PDF file)

The mneumonics aren't necessary at all. I just found it useful to skim through them and pick out a few that helped me with certain topics I was having trouble remembering.

Unfortunately I never had the biochem outline on computer, just a paper copy and I already trashed it. Biochem Made Ridiculously Simple is one supplement that's often recommend on these forums, but I've never used it. At any rate it may not be worth the effort of going through for those of you with very limited study time left. The decks are more high-yield unless biochem stands out as a major weakness of yours.

26. Solid Snake DDS

Solid Snake DDS Student DDS
    5+ Year Member

The test is not hard at all. I have a history background. Yes, a history background. Most of the stuff were basic information obtain from an undergrad level. Biochem/Physio is the same stuff you took during undergrad. Micro/Path...same thing.

Gross Anat with a mix of neuro is nothing more than a basic neuro course and basic Anat/Physio during undergrad.

The only thing that was new is Dental Anat\ Occlusion.

You will pass if you have some knowledge in each area. Pass well is another story :laugh: .

Good luck to folks who havent taken their exam yet. Just relax...After the exam, you'll beat yourself (not that "beating" :D ) for stressing out so much.

Cheers
    J.N.

27. cdc

cdc Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    hi has any one got his results ..... of 17 july exam... been waiting

28. QCkid

QCkid Member
    5+ Year Member