How did past MCAT takers feel about the non-verbal EK materials?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tofurkey

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have all the EK materials, and I'm not worried about verbal--but the sciences I am definitely stressing about.

How did you find the EK books and the 1001 question series as prep for the MCAT, for all you past MCAT takers?

I also have the Kaplan books. But it seems that EK is more streamlined.

Thanks,

Tofurkey

Members don't see this ad.

I used EK for both sciences and went up 3 points on PS from MCAT try #1 to #2. EK is good for visually oriented people who like diagrams and pictures to illustrate ideas/problems, while Kaplan is mostly text and better for verbal learners. I thought EK gave enough detail even though I've heard from other people that they didn't think so.

I thought EK was really good. I'd been away from my science classes for a few years when I took the MCAT, and needed a comprehensive review of essential concepts and equations, which I thought the EK stuff did well. I have a Princeton Review and a Peterson's Gold Standard book too...while I found them useful, they were too "dense" in their coverage of essential topics to be of much use to me as primary review materials. I ended up with a 30 on the MCAT, which I thought wasn't too bad considering it'd been a few years since I'd looked at any of the stuff.

I really liked the EK Biology and Organic Chemistry books a lot. Using them brought my score on the bio section up several points. They emphasized exactly what you needed to know while the books I got in my TPR class were overwhelming with the amount of useless detail. The Chem and Physics books were okay but did not do a whole lot for me because I was weaker in this section and needed more detailed explanations. They were good for just getting the basics that you needed.