How did the Ophthalmology moderator get over here?

Discussion in 'Pre-Optometry' started by IndianaOD, Apr 24, 2007.

1. IndianaOD

2+ Year Member

Optometrist
    Good grief, everytime something gets interesting someone closes the thread. Why was the OD or DO thread shut down? Maybe its good that OD students and others know how self obsessed SOME medical practicioners are. There are great doctors of every type and there are some absolute duds. Perhaps we should just leave a thread open that lets all the flamers get their hot air out.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. cpw

cpw It's a boy !!!
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Optometrist
    it wasn't "interesting" it was a flame war that was put out of its misery. I was away from my computer, so another mod stepped in. (which is what they are here to do)

It wasn't an OD/OMD mod thing. For the record: the mod who closed it is a future EM resident.

4. IndianaOD

2+ Year Member

Optometrist
    It is truly unfortunate that such feelings permeate the medical profession. We have a local group of ophthalmologists that have taken the high road and I commend them for it! They will only see patients who have been referred in by ODs. Throughout their website and literature they strongly promote the "team" approach and state that all primary eye care (which includes far more that Cls and glasses) should be taken care of by the family optometrist. They are a joy to work with and are quite successful. We can only hope....

5. KHE

KHE Senior Member
    Optometrist SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Optometrist
    Can you please provide a link to this website....

6. IndianaOD

2+ Year Member

Optometrist

I'd be happy too, though I'm not sure I'm allowed to in a forum like this. I'll PM it to you.

CPW.. I didn't think it was actually the Ophth moderator, just aluding to an ealier thread that complained about their moderation.

7. Oculomotor

2+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    It is truly unfortunate that such feelings permeate the medical profession. We have a local group of ophthalmologists that have taken the high road and I commend them for it! They will only see patients who have been referred in by ODs. Throughout their website and literature they strongly promote the "team" approach and state that all primary eye care (which includes far more that Cls and glasses) should be taken care of by the family optometrist. They are a joy to work with and are quite successful. We can only hope....

IndianaOD,

I would like a link to that website as well. I would like to take a look at it! Thanks.

8. ddown

ddown Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Optometrist
    The Pacific Northwest also has an OD/MD comanagement organization (14 clinics in all) that is built upon strong co-management principles. The owner, an MD, fully supports the optometric profession. They rely on staff ODs to handle all medical eyecare while the surgeons perfect their surgical skills, and are always available to help with difficult cases in the clinic. All patients are immediately sent back to their family eye doctor at the completion of their care. It is a VERY successful organization and one that I hope can be emulated elsewhere.

9. Oculomotor

2+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    that is really cool..........do you have a link for those practices?

thanks