How did they get in????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gerrybrown82

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was talking to some 3rd yr's about previous education and i was completely surprised by their responses........one said their undergrad major was pyschology....the other said they majored in dance.....how is that a competitive app??? maybe im confused i thought it was hard to get into medical school...are they lying....??? is it all about the MCAT or something??? obviously your GPA is going to be high if you major in pysch....its nothing but reading.....i dont know about dance but other than the pre req's how would your app be competitive....are they just admitting students nowdays.....im definitely not knocking them...im just wondering how they beat out the 4.0 bio chem major who got waitlisted or what not...

Members don't see this ad.

Most people think that majoring in something like music or dance is easy, because they equate it with their little brother/sister scratching away on a violin and think anyone can do it.

To reach a high level of performance in a performing arts or athletic discipline requires discipline, commitment, and focus. You can't just cram the night before for a dance recital. Not only are those people well-rounded and diverse applicants, but those particular qualities are considered desirable in a physician.

Also, I'm pretty sure they still had to take all the science prereqs. Assuming they did well in those, then yeah, I'm sure they were pretty competitive applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)
i was talking to some 3rd yr's about previous education and i was completely surprised by their responses........one said their undergrad major was pyschology....the other said they majored in dance.....how is that a competitive app??? maybe im confused i thought it was hard to get into medical school...are they lying....??? is it all about the MCAT or something??? obviously your GPA is going to be high if you major in pysch....its nothing but reading.....i dont know about dance but other than the pre req's how would your app be competitive....are they just admitting students nowdays.....im definitely not knocking them...im just wondering how they beat out the 4.0 bio chem major who got waitlisted or what not...

Well obv, they slipped a $100 bucks to the adcoms when they sent their apps…..

OP, in reality admissions committees accept a large number of majors into their entering classes. This is done so they don't produce a robot army of doctors from a pool of biology or chem majors. If you also read any medical school's mission statement, most have a statement of diversity and having an interesting non-science major falls into this. I was accepted into medical school this cycle with an undergrad degree in film production, so I am a testament to the fact that not only biology/chemistry related majors get accepted.

we need bleargh to chime in with his charming avatar...

OP, as a double degree holder in psychology and spanish [with an acceptance, might I add], I resent your post. :thumbdown:

Most people think that majoring in something like music or dance is easy, because they equate it with their little brother/sister scratching away on a violin and think anyone can do it.

To reach a high level of performance in a performing arts or athletic discipline requires discipline, commitment, and focus. You can't just cram the night before for a dance recital. Not only are those people well-rounded and diverse applicants, but those particular qualities are considered desirable in a physician.

Also, I'm pretty sure they still had to take all the science prereqs. Assuming they did well in those, then yeah, I'm sure they were pretty competitive applicants.

I am in full agreement with this.

FIRST OFF, YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE A SCIENCE MAJOR TO GET INTO MED SCHOOL!!!!!

Sorry if it comes off as yelling but I feel like screaming when I read people assume that that is the competitive way of getting into med school. If I could go back I'd not have become a biology major.

Having taken year 1 medical school courses at BUSM and grad level courses taught by the same professors that teach med students at USF Med I can attest that what I learned in my microbiology major didn't all apply to what you learn in med school cuz a lot of what I learned I'll never use in medicine though it may be useful in research in a particular given field of microbiology. For instance, my general physio class did nothing in terms of helping in teaching med physio. it was in med physio I even truly learned physio. Med micro only focuses on disease causing micro organisms and not archaea and others that are environmental microbes so what we learned in some classes is also largely irrelevant. So no you don't need to be a bio major to get into med school.

You can be any major you want to be in med school.

2. What the hell are you talking about by saying that it is not competitive? It is uber competitive and if anything someone who has done high on the MCAT, done high scores in prereqs, and done unique things like be a dance major and perform in national or international recitals before large audiences looks more unique then a person who has studied biology and done the typical premed ECs but nothing to set them apart. That if anything is what makes it competitive is that you have people like this dance major who have probably accomplished things greater then just simple hospital volunteering and reserach.

3. I wanted to agree with the post that was quoted above. I learn Bharatanatyam, a form of South Indian classical dance from India. So i know exactly what they are talking about. In dance you have to be as precise, accurate, and steady as a surgeon when making your moves flow together in sync and harmony. You have to have confidence of an internist to communicate through your moves your story that you depict. You have to know the dedication of any physician to tirelessly perform act after act and practice, practice, practice. You have to have the patience of a med student to study the theory and history of dance forms as much as learning the dance itself to know what is involved.

I knew someone who went into music as a major but then dropped it. They loved learning to play but not learning the theory but those who truly study dance and music need to know more then just the ability to do the acts but the ability to actually understand the theory, history, etc. of those very art forms to be able to appreciate it in its entirety no different then the med student who must know the basic sciences before they can learn how to treat a patient. A doctor cannot just prescribe medicines without first knowing why they are doing it and what the theory behind those medicines is through pharmacology classes and second and first year classes. the same is true of dance and music. You learn things in steps and then put steps together. You learn the theory and its history and then you ultimately learn to perform.

I have great respect for a musician and dancer and feel a lot of people grounded in arts like music and dance will have a better understanding of what determination it takes to be a doctor then the bio major that learns through rote memorization biology facts but doesn't necessarily need the kind of hours of dedication and passion to do what a musician and dancer does.

I think that is why they stand out. sorry if I offended biology majors on here. Not saying every dance or music major deserves to be in above another major that another applicant is in. Just that its a lot more work then people realize.

Think about it this way, OP. They realized that it doesn't matter what your major is, so they enjoyed themselves in college, scored well on the MCAT, and are now in medical school. You, on the other hand, had to slog through four hard years as a biochem major for no good reason. Between you and them it sounds like they are the smarter ones.

QFT. :thumbup:

OP isn't even a biochem major. According to previous posts, they are an accounting major - non-science, and did pretty poorly.

I have a friend who is a Math and Music double major (physics minor) and another that is a Music Minor, Physics Major and both agree that multiple of their music classes are harder than any physics or math class they've ever taken. Music, at a high level, is pretty intense stuff and I imagine many of the arts aren't any different.

I have a friend who is a Math and Music double major (physics minor) and another that is a Music Minor, Physics Major and both agree that multiple of their music classes are harder than any physics or math class they've ever taken. Music, at a high level, is pretty intense stuff and I imagine many of the arts aren't any different.

Agreed. talks with my dance instructor about the level of training that goes into becoming a true guru of bharatanatyam in India have me convinced of these very truths.

It takes real skill as i pointed out in my post above to do what a dancer and musician do and there is much that can be learned from something like such that can be applied to medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed. talks with my dance instructor about the level of training that goes into becoming a true guru of bharatanatyam in India have me convinced of these very truths.

It takes real skill as i pointed out in my post above to do what a dancer and musician do and there is much that can be learned from something like such that can be applied to medicine.

Now the real question is…..can you be a dancer and a musician at the SAME time???? That takes crazy skill.

Now the real question is…..can you be a dancer and a musician at the SAME time???? That takes crazy skill.

haha very true.

A lot of indian dancers learn classical music but doing the two simultaneously is virtually impossible because you cant be singing if you are needing your face for the facial expressions involve in the dance form. lol. I think they actually only learn the singing so they can understand the religious music to which they are dancing. But who knows. I couldn't sing for the life of me but Im learning dance.

but pop dancers and singers maybe so. But i do agree it would be quite a skill. :)

haha very true.

A lot of indian dancers learn classical music but doing the two simultaneously is virtually impossible because you cant be singing if you are needing your face for the facial expressions involve in the dance form. lol. I think they actually only learn the singing so they can understand the religious music to which they are dancing. But who knows. I couldn't sing for the life of me but Im learning dance.

but pop dancers and singers maybe so. But i do agree it would be quite a skill. :)

I understand because my little sister is doing Bharatnatyam (she is going to do her Arengetram soon), sometimes I make a bet with her as to how long she can sing and dance. She hasn't gone past 10 minutes. Then again, singing while doing Bharatnatyam distracts people from the beauty of the dance anyway.

I understand because my little sister is doing Bharatnatyam (she is going to do her Arengetram soon), sometimes I make a bet with her as to how long she can sing and dance. She hasn't gone past 10 minutes. Then again, singing while doing Bharatnatyam distracts people from the beauty of the dance anyway.

:) lol. yeah very true. Wow. Congrats to your sister.

:) lol. yeah very true. Wow. Congrats to your sister.

Thanks, I try to copy a few of her steps sometimes. I just look like an idiot and am thankful that my ankle is still in one piece after. Requires a whole different level of skill than my medicinal chemistry reading, which I should probably get back to btw…..lol just can't focus right now.

Ah Bharatnatyam - the dance of the prostitutes :p.

But still, it's a real fun skill. My sister did it for a couple years too (but this was in India and she wasn't any good at it).

^ I don't get it…..dance of prostitutes? Lol buddy if your thinking that my sister is a ***** then sorry man, she's way out of your league.

^ I don't get it…..dance of prostitutes? Lol buddy if your thinking that my sister is a ***** then sorry man, she's way out of your league.

Haha no, not calling your sister anything. Bharatnatyam was traditionally performed by temple prostitutes. They weren't called that, they were called devadasi (servant of God), but they were orphan or divorced women who lived at the temple and performed dance and other ceremonies and relied on men from the community for payment in return for sexual services (e.g prostitutes). The king would also sometimes call the devadasi from the temples to perform Bharatnatyam for him and his court. And then...well, you know.

I find it kind of funny how the dance has moved out and into the mainstream. :laugh:

based on your post....i am not sure how they got in.....but im betting your not an english major???? or are you posting by telegraph???? anyways dance and psychology are interesting majors... and i'm sure they did quite well in prereqs and MCAT like most successful applicants....

Agreed (with those defenders of the arts, not the OP). I'd like to add the visual arts to the list because art majors are often seen as slackers (some rightly so) and art classes considered easy. But at the school I attended, it was the art majors who stayed in their building all night and on the weekends creating (and jamming to good music). A pretty cool community formed when people were throwing pots, welding, painting, making prints, developing photos (old school), carving wood, casting jewelry, etc. till the break of dawn. It takes time to build up a strong portfolio or develop strong performance skills. It wasn't uncommon for students to spend 500+ hours outside of class preparing for their senior art exhibits, recitals, or theatrical performances.

By the way, I think the arts share a similarity with research: people take an idea, emotion, or vision and transform it into reality through a medium. You develop a concept, spend a ton of time implementing/refining it (including dealing with setbacks or failures), then present it. Thinking creatively is an important skill to have.

Last edited:
Haha no, not calling your sister anything. Bharatnatyam was traditionally performed by temple prostitutes. They weren't called that, they were called devadasi (servant of God), but they were orphan or divorced women who lived at the temple and performed dance and other ceremonies and relied on men from the community for payment in return for sexual services (e.g prostitutes). The king would also sometimes call the devadasi from the temples to perform Bharatnatyam for him and his court. And then...well, you know.

I find it kind of funny how the dance has moved out and into the mainstream. :laugh:

Oh well I didn't know that lol. I should probably let my sister know this and see if she still wants to continue :laugh:. Well at one point in history watching people kill each other in a colosseum was considered mainstream, I guess thats what we call progress.

And yeahhhh...this isn't true at all. At least not at my school. Not that I really needed to point that out, since this person is clearly just whining because he deserves to get into med school with a crappy GPA because his major was more difficult.

"pyschology" ahhhhhhhahahahaha ohhhh man. Ha. Ohhh. Wow. Thought it was a typo but he even wrote it twice. Ahhhhh that's rich.

I know I know don't feed the troll, etc...

Yeah, if anything I think that being a psych major helped me on the MCAT. A lot of psych classes are theory based so you're constantly looking at behavior through a particular lens. Certainly helped me kick ass on VR and all the "based on the passage, what is the author's opinion on blah blah blah" questions.

Also psych isn't all woo woo theories about your feelings. I took a perception class that was entirely focused on biological and computational aspects of vision. A cognitive neuropsychology class that I took synthesized clinical and experimental evidence with cognitive theories to propose biological bases for different neurological conditions. It's a really diverse major with plenty of avenues for those with biologically slanted interests

[/defensive rant]

Agreed (with those defenders of the arts, not the OP). I'd like to add the visual arts to the list because art majors are often seen as slackers (some rightly so) and art classes considered easy. But at the school I attended, it was the art majors who stayed in their building all night and on the weekends creating (and jamming to good music). A pretty cool community formed when people were throwing pots, welding, painting, making prints, developing photos (old school), carving wood, casting jewelry, etc. till the break of dawn. It takes time to build up a strong portfolio or develop strong performance skills. It wasn't uncommon for students to spend 500+ hours outside of class preparing for their senior art exhibits, recitals, or theatrical performances.

By the way, I think the arts share a similarity with research: people take an idea, emotion, or vision and transform it into reality through a medium. You develop a concept, spend a ton of time implementing/refining it (including dealing with setbacks or failures), then present it. Thinking creatively is an important skill to have.

Yup, and let me just say that it can be VERY difficult to maintain a high GPA in a major that is graded as subjectively as the arts. You take the same science test to five science professors and you'll get the same grade. You do the same performance or present the same piece of art for five of theatre or art professors and some of them will love what other people hated, and vice versa. You can get five completely different grades. It's maddening.

But whatever, the OP is just whining. This theatre major (with a psych minor... DOUBLE TROUBLE!) has a 3.99 sGPA and a 39 MCAT and thinks she is plenty competitive, TYVM.

How do u get a 3.99? Is it like all A's and one A- or something?

How do u get a 3.99? Is it like all A's and one A- or something?

Exactly. The school where I took O-chem had 2 semesters of 3 credit lectures, and one semester of lab that was 2 credits. I got an A- in that lab and A's in all my other BCPM stuff. I found out I was pregnant at the very end of the semester and they were like, "Yeah... you probably shouldn't come back in this room." :laugh: In the shuffle (my husband and I were also getting married a week after finals, which had been planned for awhile), I think I forgot to hand in one of my lab assignments. Oh well.

Maybe humanities students can actually write a coherent paragraph, instead of coming across as illiterate half-wits who can barely work a keyboard.

English major with focus in creative writing, bare minimum sciences--accepted at one waiting on many others.

I will learn everything I need to know about being a doctor in med school and residency, not in undergrad, no matter what my major is.

Yup, and let me just say that it can be VERY difficult to maintain a high GPA in a major that is graded as subjectively as the arts. You take the same science test to five science professors and you'll get the same grade. You do the same performance or present the same piece of art for five of theatre or art professors and some of them will love what other people hated, and vice versa. You can get five completely different grades. It's maddening.

But whatever, the OP is just whining. QUOTE]

Agreed. Major in the arts perfectly prepares you to be a physician. You learn how to be flexible and present yourself differently based on your audience. Each of my professors graded differently and yet I recieved A's in all of their classes because I challenged myself to consider my audience. This is what a physician needs to do 100 times a day with different patients and their families.

What really baffles admissions committees, OP, is why in the world someone who studied Biochemistry for four years would want to work with human beings!!!! It's not the other way around. Majoring in biochem or something similar is like prestudying for med school preclinical years. I will do just as well as you in our science lectures, because we both know how to study. But I'll do better than you when it comes time for the real doctoring, ie communicating with patients. And that's partly thanks to my liberal arts education.

no point to responding w/ a meaningful answer guys. a good majority know what's up, know that you can be a history major and still get into med school. no need to reply to the OP and how a non-science major can get into medical school.

I was a Psychology major. Obviously I'm going to fail out of med school, I mean really - you only pick majors like Psyc, Dance, Music, Theatre, etc. if you're dumb. It has nothing to do with wanting a degree in something that interests you.
:confused:

Huh from what I read into it, there was no sexual favors involved though a life that was forced into living at a temple like a nun more like it. maybe I'll do more research into this tonight but my understanding was the north of India was where the dance turned more into being for entertaining men as with styles that were influenced by muslims but not the southern dances to my knowledge from the way my dance teacher explained things to me and what bit I read in one of her books.

I guess I'll look more into this but I don't recall ever hearing such.

Boggvir.

Ok so this is what I found on the issue of bharatanatyam and prostitution.

looks like we were both right. Looks like they were not traditionally prostitutes but when british rule came in and their means for living was taken away from them many of these dancers were forced into such.

This is the link I get my info from. I will ask my dance teacher more about this cuz now i'm curious. http://www.samarthbharat.com/devadasis.htm

But whatever, the OP is just whining. QUOTE]

Agreed. Major in the arts perfectly prepares you to be a physician. You learn how to be flexible and present yourself differently based on your audience. Each of my professors graded differently and yet I recieved A's in all of their classes because I challenged myself to consider my audience. This is what a physician needs to do 100 times a day with different patients and their families.
What really baffles admissions committees, OP, is why in the world someone who studied Biochemistry for four years would want to work with human beings!!!! It's not the other way around. Majoring in biochem or something similar is like prestudying for med school preclinical years. I will do just as well as you in our science lectures, because we both know how to study. But I'll do better than you when it comes time for the real doctoring, ie communicating with patients. And that's partly thanks to my liberal arts education.

The bolded is precisely what i was trying to get at with my lenthier first post in this thread.

hahahahaha yall should be in a comic strip....you think dance and psychology is hard....med school just isnt as competitive as i thought it was....i did accounting and got a 2.7 nobody bangs out straight A's in accounting it just doesnt happen but i could have majored in something easy like marketing and got a 4.0 thats not impressive to me....biology is just a bunch of flash cards....where is this all this competitiveness coming from...?????? i took 4 of the 6 pre reqs and have a 3.5 .....how did a dance major and a psych major beat out a biochem major.....???????

I, a chemistry major, always thought that psychology would be an easy major. Then I got a minor in it, taking several upper-level courses. It WAS easy.

hahahahaha yall should be in a comic strip....you think dance and psychology is hard....med school just isnt as competitive as i thought it was....i did accounting and got a 2.7 nobody bangs out straight A's in accounting it just doesnt happen but i could have majored in something easy like marketing and got a 4.0 thats not impressive to me....biology is just a bunch of flash cards....where is this all this competitiveness coming from...?????? i took 4 of the 6 pre reqs and have a 3.5 .....how did a dance major and a psych major beat out a biochem major.....???????

this post is your fatal error. I took you seriously at first but now....
:troll:

OP must not know about the dance competition held at every med school interview.... I have been improving my tap dance for Mayo.

Think what you want... but I bet med schools think that a 4.0 in marketting... is more impressive than a 2.7 in accounting... and that a degree in the arts... while still sporting an impressive sGPA and MCAT score... is more impressive than the same GPA... with a major in Biochem... because it shows you're well-rounded...

Oh... and you're not going to convince anyone... especially while you insult some of the posters here... that you could have pulled a 4.0 in a different subject... so could I... you're just making up excuses instead of owning your own mediocre performance... and that's okay... because it's no skin of our noses...

I, a chemistry major, always thought that psychology would be an easy major. Then I got a minor in it, taking several upper-level courses. It WAS easy.

On your MDApps you say you should have been an English major.

I, an English major, got a higher score than you on the Chemistry section of the MCAT. I should have been a Chemistry major.

English is the best major . . .

. . .if you enjoy literature.

this post is your fatal error. I took you seriously at first but now....
:troll:

Uh oh…..watch out man, rhesus thinks your a troll…..should I be scared?