How did u guys prepare for the PCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stone

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, nice to find a place like this, I'm a 2005 fall applicant, and planning to take PCAT on Oct. For those of u already taken it, how did u prepare for it? Which section is the toughest? Did u memorize lots of fancy words to build up ur vocabulary for the first part? how would u compare it to SAT words? Sorry, too many questions... :D Thanks! :love:

Members don't see this ad.

I nominate kwakster to be the admin of this forum. He's brutal :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I did do my homework before asking~ :oops: just wanna see what does u pharmD guys say about it, and i didn't get any info about preparing for PCAT vocabulary part... please refer me some links... thanksssssssssssss! :luck:

Stone said:
I did do my homework before asking~ :oops: just wanna see what does u pharmD guys say about it, and i didn't get any info about preparing for PCAT vocabulary part... please refer me some links... thanksssssssssssss! :luck:

If you type "PCAT verbal" or "PCAT vocabulary" or any other search term in the Search box at the top of the screen, you'll come up with a TON of info. I did it for you and here are a couple old threads that answer your question.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=79185&highlight=pcat+verbal

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=125778&highlight=pcat+verbal

It would be a shame if someone had to repeat an answer to a hot topic. I recommend learning the SAT words or at least the roots of words. I made up for my lack of vocabulary with stellar performances in the science sections. I wouldn't waste to much time learning new words.

groo1515 said:
It would be a shame if someone had to repeat an answer to a hot topic.

Yeah, totally! Like why the heck is there even a search function on this silly message board? I just *love* posting the same answers over and over and over again! It's great!!!!:rolleyes:

I got trashed at a house party the night before-and then rushed off after the test to a paintball tournament. I figure I prepared enough the 21 years prior to the exam.

I think part of the reason I did so well is that I ran for 45 minutes right before the exam started. My friend and I were running like crazy to get to the building because the parking people told us to park on the wrong side of campus, there was construction blocking most routes through campus, and we had no clue how to get around it. By the time we got there we were totally drenched in sweat but very mentally alert.

I haven't taken the PCAT yet. But I am steadily preparing for it. I bought two PCAT prep books from amazon.com. I got the Kaplan one, and some other one, (Barron's I think) and they are both good. I heard the Kaplan one is supposed to be the best. Apparently they also have courses that cost around $800 to prepare you, but I heard that just following the book is the same (they use it in the course).

Good luck!! (To us both ;) )