Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

How did you acquire an interest in dentistry?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by dentix, Dec 16, 2008.

1. dentix

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    What events in your life led up to finally making a decision to pursue dentistry?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DuffMan01

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    The noise from the drill...I juss love that sound. Every time I hear it, I get real cozy! U also gotta love that smell from the dental office

4. dentix

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

:laugh::laugh: Nice!

5. bustedgrill

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Helping people:D

6. MoMolar

Pre-Dental
    Working in a dental office as an assistant.

7. JamesOSU

JamesOSU Ohio State 2013
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Had terrible teeth and was at the dentist a lot as a kid

8. NyCzPeter

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Short: Want to do healthcare, don't wanna do med cuz its no longer worth it, can't do nursing cuz I am far too insecure about my manhood. So Dentistry is the best of both worlds since it is still more worth it than med in terms of finance.

Long: Wanted to go to med school but got turned off by the amount of red tape MDs have to go through with the insurance, not to mention the ridiculous lawsuits and malpractice. There is of course the same nonsense in Dentistry, but we don't have nearly as much of it as MDs. I saw the type of lifestyle I wanted in dentistry, and at the same time, I still get to be a "doctor" in a more loose sense of the word.

Don't flame me for taking finances into consideration please. Anyone who believes money isn't important is either Jesus or insane.

9. joh02034

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    Same (minus nurse part). Too bad we can't actually write that in our P.S.

10. dentix

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Getting compensated for services rendered as an MD from insurance companies is getting increasingly difficult as time goes on. Not to mention the huge bureaucracy that comes into play when you want referrals (of course this exist in dentistry, but will not be a problem in the future). Not to mention, MD's work an insane amount of hours (depending on the branch of medicine), which neglects the amount of time you can spend with your family.

I am going to be honest; I think you should pursue a field that you will eventually feel passionate about. However, in this day and age, the economy is so unpredictable it is import to consider finances when it comes to funding higher education. Pursuing dentistry seems to offer a bigger return long term (financial stability, great quality of life, and satisfaction).

What attracts me most to the field is the dynamics that dentistry has to offer. You have the opportunity to enjoy an atmosphere where you can practice dental medicine while also having to be an innovated business professional.....those are my two cents :)

11. nuhskr06

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I was bench pressing and dropped the bar on my face (had a ditzy spotter) which broke a tooth or two. My dentist came in on a Saturday to make sure I showed up to the first day of school with a complete smile :) I knew I wanted to be a dentist after that disaster.

12. dent2009

dent2009 YEEE BOI
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    ouch! You don't remember how many teeth you broke? a tooth or two?

13. nuhskr06

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Haha, I was trying to be nonchalant about the whole situation but it was basically 1 1/2. One was a clean break, roughly 1/3 of the tooth was gone (come to think of it, I haven't the slightest idea where that piece went! swallowed perhaps??) and then the other tooth was just chipped pretty bad - I cut my tongue on it! I cried when I saw myself in the mirror :rolleyes: I still had a fat/cut lip and some bruising but at least I could tell the story and laugh at myself since my smile was once again perfect :D

14. Mazmel

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    exactly my reason :)

15. somethinpositiv

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
  16. AggieDDS

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I went to the dentist for routine cleaning....and saw some of the hottie assistants.

I was hooked =).

17. cobalt31

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    i want a job where i work with my hands. and not in the rectal probe sense.

18. miab

Pre-Dental
    Going to my grandfathers dental office was the most exciting thing when i was 5 and ever since then i wanted to do what my grandfather did. So I started working as a dental assistant in high school. And i cant wait to finish with pre dent so that i can go to dental school bc I LOVE everything about dentistry

19. MRSMUFFEN

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NyCzPeter [​IMG]
    Long: Wanted to go to med school but got turned off by the amount of red tape MDs have to go through with the insurance, not to mention the ridiculous lawsuits and malpractice. There is of course the same nonsense in Dentistry, but we don't have nearly as much of it as MDs. I saw the type of lifestyle I wanted in dentistry, and at the same time, I still get to be a "doctor" in a more loose sense of the word.

Don't flame me for taking finances into consideration please. Anyone who believes money isn't important is either Jesus or insane.

exactly my reason

I second that. I have always enjoyed going to the Dentist, When I was 8 or 9 I chipped my front tooth.... trying to skatebroad and I got it fixed I was amazed.... Plus people have always told me how pretty my smile is, which is almost like my ava. Naturally, :p and asked what do I do to keep them almost perfect.... " Brush them!" The Money is a great bonus..., but helping people get and keep a great smile is icing on the cake :) Realtalk!