How did you all approach your anatomy courses in undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
F

fogorvostan

Hi there. Currently taking an anatomy course online through BYU as it is a requirement for MWU-AZ. Now, it is an online class, so needless to say, I have a 100% in it very easily. However, I am basically treating each quiz like a scavenger hunt and finding the answers in PowerPoints. I have barely opened the book. Am I just harming myself in the long run?

In "normal" anatomy classes, is it expected of you to memorize everything? If so, how do you go about memorizing every little bone? I took physiology in undergrad but it was a very easy class. Should I just continue what I am doing and get my A? I just don't want to start in the fall at dental school way behind on anatomy because everyone else was required to do significantly more work in undergrad and I'm stuck playing catch-up. Being that I work full-time as a teacher, I am enjoying the little work that I am putting in... but...

I know that I should have taken the class in person, but that was just not an option for me. I would have had to quit my job and that means a loss of income + insurance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
I took AP1 and AP2 with labs with another science class while teaching too! It's a lot of info, but I think by doing this makes you retain it all efficiently! Many of our tests asked us to recall information, so making mnemonic tools and charting out neuronal/hormonal pathways is what helped me. I cut all the fluff and got As in both. Good luck!

I was taking AP as the same time with Physics and Biochem. But I have to say, it's the easiest of the three. I agree with @sadmanthedentist you kinda have to remeber the info, but also understand how that work and the pathway. I recomend reading Costanzo if you have troubles.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm taking Anatomy & Physio II now after taking A&P I and I just made a lot of flashcards to help deal with the mass amounts of memorization required to do well in the course. Flashcards are great! Not sure if it'll hurt you, but it sure won't help you if you're not actively learning the material and doing simple S&D in the Powerpoints.

I agree with the above too. I'm taking the second A&P now with its lab. The way to study for me is repetition!! Study the material before each lecture then go over it again afterwards. That seems to help in addition to making flash cards..

Was just going to post a question about this. I'm enrolled in anatomy right now and we have our first exam next tuesday.. on the entire upper limb / brachial plexus areas. It seems like so much information and I don't really know where to focus my studies. The exam questions are medical board style questions, so you have to have complete knowledge to understand what would happen in certain situations..

I agree with the others. I used flashcards, mnemonics, and repetition. I will add that when I learned bones, muscles, etc. I took each section one at a time. Anatomy is much easier if you take it one piece at a time and allow yourself time to retain the information.

If you are taking it online just get the A easily. I took anatomy in class, I aced it, but I dont remember a lot of it, things like muscle functions,innervations, leg muscles. You just know the basics like oh gluteus maximus. Just get the A, they will teach you anatomy in dental school. Being realistic here don't waste your time mate.

Don't stress too much about the minute parts. You won't need to know every single muscle, bone, insertion/origin, or innervation sites for dental school. If I were you, I would focus more on the anatomy and physiology of all the body systems and understand the overall jist of how they connect and work together.

That is awesome that you are able to do it online without the book. Anatomy was a tough class, I think only 5 people in my class got A's out of 70. It was an awesome class and I learned so much from it. The lab was super informative too. I don't think you are hurting yourself since 90% of it you wont use in dental school I bet. You are just missing out on learning in depth and retaining all the body parts, muscles, hormones and all that fun stuff.

@fogorvostan How long do you anticipate it taking you to finish that BYU Anatomy course? Do you think it can be done in 3 months?

@fogorvostan How long do you anticipate it taking you to finish that BYU Anatomy course? Do you think it can be done in 3 months?
You only have 12 weeks to do it, so yeah. I've had it for 9 days and I'm about 25% of the way finished. You can knocked it out in a couple of weekends if you really dedicate to it. I've been lazy this week and only done 1 quiz.

haha the course says you have 12 months to do it, not weeks! but that's nice to know that it can be done pretty quickly. Do you have to go into a testing center and do the two 'proctored exams'?

Members don't see this ad :)
haha the course says you have 12 months to do it, not weeks! but that's nice to know that it can be done pretty quickly. Do you have to go into a testing center and do the two 'proctored exams'?
Oh hahahah. Clearly I didn't read it well and mixed it up with the UNE course that was 16 weeks. I haven't done the written exams yet. Should get to it in like a week.

How did I approach my Anatomy course?

I walked to class, and before entering, I closed my eyes, patted myself on the back, and said "You got this."

Then, I walked in, sat down, and took notes. Worked out pretty well.

You only have 12 weeks to do it, so yeah. I've had it for 9 days and I'm about 25% of the way finished. You can knocked it out in a couple of weekends if you really dedicate to it. I've been lazy this week and only done 1 quiz.
How did you study for the exams? I'm currently taking the class and am struggling with how much I need to memorize for the proctored exams. Did you read the book? Any general advice/tips for someone taking the course? Thanks!

My AP class was chicken **** compared to dental school.

Its like comparing a sample plate to a buffet.

How did you study for the exams? I'm currently taking the class and am struggling with how much I need to memorize for the proctored exams. Did you read the book? Any general advice/tips for someone taking the course? Thanks!
Haven't taken the midterm yet. I need to request off work for that and I'm not allowed to.

Struggling in A&P 2... Anyone have any good recommended youtube videos to watch?

what are you doing exactly ?

Well, i did better on my A&P exam(80) but what's working for me is reading the book and not basing all my information on her notes alone.

I also just follow up with quizlet questions bc my exam are very medical based questions/applicable questions.

I was wondering if there are better methods for concetualize it.

Well, i did better on my A&P exam(80) but what's working for me is reading the book and not basing all my information on her notes alone.

I also just follow up with quizlet questions bc my exam are very medical based questions/applicable questions.

I was wondering if there are better methods for concetualize it.

I meant, what topics.

Well, right now we are doing the heart and blood!

Struggling in A&P 2... Anyone have any good recommended youtube videos to watch?

We're pretty much on the same track. I just finished the unit on the heart and blood! Now our next unit exam is focused on the immune and respiratory systems. I'm going to PM you of a website/link I used to prepare for my exams. Hopefully you'll find it helpful to supplement your other study materials!