How did you answer the famous question...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lisa3158

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why do you want to be a DO?

Members don't see this ad.

my answer would be : I just DO.

bwah hahha hha hah hahh haa

Now that was funny.....

I answered that in the same thread I answer why I want to be in Medicine...why a physician vs nurse/paramedic/PA/or other health professions.

I basically explained why I wanted to be a doc and what I understood about the DO profession.

That was it. Almost every interview wanted to know why I appled to that school. It was good to know a lot about each school and the process.

Members don't see this ad :)
Because I want to be a physician. I then talked about how a DO I shadowed and how I would like to emulate his practice style.

I said that first and foremost I wanted to be a physician. I then said that being on the receiving end of OMM, I would really want to be able to use that set of skills when I am seeing patients. I never mentioned any of the rhetoric about the "DO philosophy."

WannabeDO said:
I never mentioned any of the rhetoric about the "DO philosophy."

I actually talked a lot about DO philosophy and how I felt it was consistent with my own goals as a physician. I had never seen OMM in use, but I did mention that I had an awareness of what OMM is. I also talked about my interactions with the DO that I shadowed and how she incorporated the "DO philosophies" into her practice.

I talked about my family doc when I was growing up. He was a DO and he was so great. I haven't had another doc like that ever. I talked about how he cared for us as a whole family, how if we came in for something he took time and asked about us and how we were and what was going on in our lives and would do a check up everytime, etc..... He is my role model and I hope I can be like him. That is what I said.

I'm leaning more towards the impressions I got from the DOs I have seen and shadowed. Whether this works or not I dunno, but it's the truth. I wanna be a DO more for how the ones I have been around practiced rather than the AOA propoganda machine.

I believe what kind of person you are determines how you will practice...and it doesn't matter what the letters after your name are. I think my own personality would be enhanced by osteopathic training, but I don't think allopathic training would produce a doctor who is significantly different. Eh....I said it better than that, but my head hurts and that's the best I could come up with now!

Will~

Because I don't want to go to Philly. :smuggrin:

I answered:

I want to be a D.O. because I truly like the holistic approach to medicine. I am convinced that by following the tenets of the osteopathic philosophy introduced by Dr. Still, and possessing a tremendous love for the subject matter along with the ability to teach it, I can do my best at preventing disease through education and treating the whole person and not just episodic ailments. For instance; if a patient comes to me with a stomach ache, I will know how to treat him/her as a person with a stomach ache instead of just treating the stomach ache itself.

This is a very rough recall, sorry? :( it sounded good in the interview and it raised some eyebrows?.

Whatever you do, do not say; ?Because M.D. = Manipulation Deficient!? I don?t think that is what the committee wishes to hear. (No pun intended to my fellow pre-M.D.s and M.D.s out there, it was just a joke).

gr8n
LECOM-Bradenton
c/o 2008

Amy B said:
I said...."What :eek: You mean this isn't a MD school??????" :laugh: :laugh:

:laugh: that is funny as he!!

I spoke about some of the short comings I observed of MDs. I was in an ER on L.I. during undergrad and saw many of the MDs erecting barriers between themselves and their patients. I mentioned this one doc who told me not to go into a hospital room because there was a patient in pain and if I went in then she would just ask for more pain meds...therefore just stay out of the room. Pretty sad huh.

However later in life I went to a different ER where an osteopath was attending. She was awesome. She didn't rely on nurses to draw bloods or anything...she would just go for it (as opposed to MDs who would just wait for hours for an RN as opposed to just doing it themselves). Further, she really cared and everyone thought highly of her. Once she had an abusive patient she spoke with them and calmed them down as opposed to the MDs who would just threaten to call security or PD (which is worse I wonder?)

Of course this is a gross generalization of MDs and DOs but at least it showed I had some reason to applying to osteopathic medicine other than just quoting the AOA (because anyone can do that).

Personally I did not say anything against MD's at all, especially because I don't think that you can truly generalize all MD's.I have been to MD's and have had great experiences with them, however, I just chose a different path. So, instead, I basically explained that I had seen DO's my whole life, I understood and believed in the philosophy of osteopathic medicine, and that I hoped one day to build relationships with my patients as my physicians (practically all DO's) have done with theirs.