How did you celebrate your first acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cirrus83

Too old for this
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, so I haven't been accepted anywhere this cycle yet, but that just means I haven't been able to celebrate my first acceptance yet! (haha, trying to stay positive here)

So...what did everyone who got in somewhere do when they got their first acceptance? I know some of you super statted out geniuses were probably just disappointed it wasn't a top 10 acceptance, but I know if I got an acceptance it'd be a huge deal worthy of celebrating big-time.

Haha...post! And if it was a particularly scandalous celebration I demand pics!!! :hardy:

Members don't see this ad.

Called home to let the parents know, and I went to class and didn't think much of it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Danced around the house =)

hahahaha

I'm pretty sure my dad thought I was crazy.

I didn't get accepted last year, so a lot of people were waiting to hear about this year... The first thing I did was call home and then send out a mass email to all those who have kept asking for the details throughout the whole process.

Then my friends and I went out to Starbucks and had friends over and talked about nonesense (we really have a lot of extra time while teaching, so glad to get back into the craziness of studying).

I ran around yelling at work, then I called my wife, then I ran around work yelling some more.

I bought a shirt that said Indiana University Medical School. Then wore it to school where other pre-meds tried to beat me up. (Tiny powerful fists)

Called my mom to let her know, then she told me my cousin had just died... Definitely put everything in perspective...

After speeding home (the acceptance came by snail mail) Danced around the house and got tackled by my brother and got jumped and hugged on by everyone else:)
R~

Having not been accepted last year, and not thinking I had a great shot of getting this year I was super excited to get in... too much so. Found out Sept. 19th 1:00 pm (phone call), was arrested for a DUI Sept. 20th 2:00 am the next day :( .... do be careful and not stupid like me when you get accepted.... I coudn't truely be happy about it until I beat the charge in mid february (i am the luckiest person ever to live). YAYYY FOR 1ST ACCEPTANCES GOODLUCK TO EVERYONE!.

Having not been accepted last year, and not thinking I had a great shot of getting this year I was super excited to get in... too much so. Found out Sept. 19th 1:00 pm (phone call), was arrested for a DUI Sept. 20th 2:00 am the next day :( .... do be careful and not stupid like me when you get accepted.... I coudn't truely be happy about it until I beat the charge in mid february (i am the luckiest person ever to live). YAYYY FOR 1ST ACCEPTANCES GOODLUCK TO EVERYONE!.

Get a little too excited and celebrate a little too much did we?

I called my bf, called my mom, took my little bro out for ice cream (since he went over interview questions with me for hours), went to dinner with my parents, then went out with my bf for drinks and i can't remember anymore :p

i bought a bottle of expensive champagne (a step up from cook's:) ) and drank it. it was a good night, i think......

Members don't see this ad :)
I always swore that I would run around whooping and hollering, but after reading the email, I just breathed a huge sigh of relief, and sent out a mass text message to those who had been sweating it with me the most. The excitement slowly built over the week before it really set in. It was the best feeling.

Just paged, emailed, called the people who've been with me through it all - parents, mentor, friends... Some friends took me out to a nice dinner about 3 days later. Very low key.
Now, should I get in to my first choice..... :hardy: :hardy:

Went to Cheese Cake Factor with parents, called friends. I was really happy. :D

smoked a cigar w a friend and played dota

luckily my boyfriend was in town so we had a night on the town:love:

I thought the preferred method of a celebration was having a nice big poop hot dog...

I went to Disneyland. Well, we were going there anyway and my parents called and said I had received an acceptance in the mail.

I screamed in the GWU dean's ear. Then I went into my roommates room (they were still asleep) and bounced up and down saying "I'm gonna be a doctor." I called both my parents, my best friend, her parents, my other friends, etc. etc. etc. Went to work to tell coworkers (I had already taken the day off)

Then I went to the doctors office for a TB test I already had scheduled, and I packed and prepped for the interview I was leaving for the next day (gotta be honest - I didn't prep all that much).

That night I ate out at BJs Brewery with my roommates though - that was the real celebration.

Ran around the house yelling with excitment..I'm sure I freaked out my neighbors....but subsequently received a e-mail from my state school selling me down the river (many tears).:wow:

I was interviewing at another school (got the phone call in the morning right before the interview day started) so i didn't really get much of a chance to celebrate, but i definitely felt like i was on cloud 9.

I cried.. with happiness ;)

I thought the preferred method of a celebration was having a nice big poop hot dog...

lol, based on your posts, you'd fit right in with native detroiters in terms of how you make jokes, etc. (it's the same for doctor~detroit too)

btw, congrats on the DO school acceptance, although i hope to see you at wayne state this fall.

I got up from my desk and went to class, during which I paid no attention whatsoever. I was *.-*floating-*.*

That passed soon, however. Now I'm more scared-to-death/freaking-out/what-did-I-get-myself-into?

Wow...glad you beat the charge for your sake, but definitely gotta be more careful with the drinking!

That's the one really good thing about NYC...you don't have to drink and drive :D

lol, based on your posts, you'd fit right in with native detroiters in terms of how you make jokes, etc. (it's the same for doctor~detroit too)
btw, congrats on the DO school acceptance, although i hope to see you at wayne state this fall.

Round on me, man, if it happens. :)

I got up from my desk and went to class, during which I paid no attention whatsoever. I was *.-*floating-*.*

That passed soon, however. Now I'm more scared-to-death/freaking-out/what-did-I-get-myself-into?

me too.....the freaking out part has definitely set in :scared:

I always swore that I would run around whooping and hollering, but after reading the email, I just breathed a huge sigh of relief, and sent out a mass text message to those who had been sweating it with me the most. The excitement slowly built over the week before it really set in. It was the best feeling.

That's exactly how I felt. Huge sigh of relief first (I felt like I'd been holding my breath for months instead of just the few seconds it took to rip open the big envelope), excitement slowly built up to a huge celebration by the weekend with friends and family. Just lovely.

me too.....the freaking out part has definitely set in :scared:

if i get accepted from the waitlist: i'll be happy but also freaking out

if i don't get accepted from the waitlist: i'll be dissappointed but glad that i don't have to freak out.

whatever happens, i'll feel both good and bad.:smuggrin:

Started crying (yes, I'm pathetic - happy tears) and then laughing, followed by crying when I randomly got the email from my student interviewer (after ignoring my email the previous day thinking I wouldn't get anything good - it came that day). Then, went out to lunch with some friends and surprised them with the news when they asked if I'd heard anything. That first acceptance was (and continues to be since that's where I'll be going) awesome!

Started crying (yes, I'm pathetic - happy tears) and then laughing, followed by crying when I randomly got the email from my student interviewer (after ignoring my email the previous day thinking I wouldn't get anything good - it came that day). Then, went out to lunch with some friends and surprised them with the news when they asked if I'd heard anything. That first acceptance was (and continues to be since that's where I'll be going) awesome!

Kindof bizzare but i treated myself to a breakfast quesadilla the next morning. Don't ask me why

I collapsed to the ground next to my mail box in front of my apartment building and sobbed. I called my parents and choked out that I had gotten in. Then they started crying. People walking by on the street stared at me. I was in complete shock for about 3 days. That night I went out to sushi and drank a lot of saki. It was marvelous, and still is.

Called my mom to let her know, then she told me my cousin had just died... Definitely put everything in perspective...

Sorry for your loss. That must have been rough. My thoughts and prayers go out to your family and you.

I collapsed to the ground next to my mail box in front of my apartment building and sobbed. I called my parents and choked out that I had gotten in. Then they started crying. People walking by on the street stared at me. I was in complete shock for about 3 days. That night I went out to sushi and drank a lot of saki. It was marvelous, and still is.

Ahh Saki. My brother does a Japanese style of Karate so whenever they have Karate parties, there's always bound to be Saki at any given party.

Keep the stories coming. I like hearing these kind of stories.

cheers! that's how I envision me acting :)

I don't know what I did immediately after finding out, but the overall feeling or emotion was gratefulness and appreciation towards God.

Day after Thanksgiving, I was working on a neuroscience research paper. Little sister said I had mail, small thick envelope...read the first half of the first sentence, went nuts. Called a couple of buddies, went out and got wasted for the next 8 or so hours. Finished writing the last 8 pages of that paper like a week later, in about 30 minutes :)

I will be jumping for joy! all while drinking ... a LOT. Or maybe I will be so overwhelmed that I will just take a deep breath and relax...

i was at work and my fiance called and made me guess which school had accepted me. (i was expecting to hear from about six schools at that time, with one clear favorite. i went through all five of the schools i cared less about until i made it to the sixth, not believing i could have actually gotten accepted by them, especially since i never got an acceptance email like the rest of the world.) he's still a bastard for making me do that!

i then hung up the phone and wrote a shaky-handed email to anyone that cared.

Yup, I did this, too- but instead of saki, I substituted two bottles of champagne:)

After my mom read the acceptance letter over the phone (crying as she did so), I called all my friends who took me to lunch, then had a party for me. Then we went out for dessert. They really made me feel special.

I found out over the phone - my interviewer called to let me know I had gotten in.

I started bawling my eyes out and stammering - thank you - thank you - thank you.

My poor interviewer - her next question was to make sure I wasn't driving!!

I then called every single person i have ever met in my entire life and gave them the happy news!

My mom started yelling and crying - all at the same time - shes a nurse and was at work so I'm sure everyone within range came running!! My dad did the same thing and I'm sure his co-workers were just as concerned!!!

It's a great feeling!!