1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

How did you decide this is what you want to do (or are you still deciding)?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Fish3715, Aug 14, 2002.

1. Fish3715

Fish3715 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Reading some of the posts, people seem to think it's quite unusual to not only be so interested in being a doctor while still in high school, but on top of that to know that type of practice you want to pursue. I "think" I want to be a pediatric opthalmologist (not only am I specific, I can barely spell it :)), or course, this changes fairly frequently. I was wondering, what exactly made you say "okay, this is what I want to do for the rest of my life," or are you trying to decide?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Fish3715

Fish3715 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

C'mon, I know some of you must have had a moment of clarity :idea: when you realized this is how you want to spend your life.

4. FutureM.D.

FutureM.D. Psychology major
    7+ Year Member

I don't know. For me it was sort of drawn out. I took anatomy and physiology in11th grade and fell in love with it. Then I decided to take psychology 1&2 and fell in love with it also. during 11th&12th grade I was seriously thinking about college majors and future careers. During my 12th grade(towards the end actually) year I decided to be a psy major. I don't know why but after thinking about it for a long time I just woke up one day and said,"I'm going to be a psy major." What's funny about it though is I decided to be a dr. at about the same time. I had been thinking about it a long time so I thought if I shadowed some drs it would give me a good idea if medicine is something I would want to do for the rest of my life. I fell in love with medicine. Once again, I don't know what it was but I woke up one day and said, "I'm going to be a dr." I've always had an interest in the human body and helping people. I've always been the family dr, but when I was 8 I always called myself a nurse. So that's kind of how it started with me. What's important though is to keep your mind open. I did that all through high school and I'm glad I did because now that I have experienced different areas of study, I found what was right for me and I don't have any doubts about it(that's odd for me). ;) Hope this helps!

5. agent

agent agent, RN
    7+ Year Member

when my wife had our first baby and i put on the scrubs.. i knew then.

there were other signs but that was probably the most prolific

6. kaos

kaos Web Crawler
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Yeah, experience is the best aide to decision-making.