Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

How did you decide this is what you want to do (or are you still deciding)?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Fish3715, Aug 14, 2002.

1. Fish3715

Fish3715 Senior Member

Reading some of the posts, people seem to think it's quite unusual to not only be so interested in being a doctor while still in high school, but on top of that to know that type of practice you want to pursue. I "think" I want to be a pediatric opthalmologist (not only am I specific, I can barely spell it :)), or course, this changes fairly frequently. I was wondering, what exactly made you say "okay, this is what I want to do for the rest of my life," or are you trying to decide?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Fish3715

Fish3715 Senior Member

C'mon, I know some of you must have had a moment of clarity :idea: when you realized this is how you want to spend your life.

4. FutureM.D.

FutureM.D. Psychology major

I don't know. For me it was sort of drawn out. I took anatomy and physiology in11th grade and fell in love with it. Then I decided to take psychology 1&2 and fell in love with it also. during 11th&12th grade I was seriously thinking about college majors and future careers. During my 12th grade(towards the end actually) year I decided to be a psy major. I don't know why but after thinking about it for a long time I just woke up one day and said,"I'm going to be a psy major." What's funny about it though is I decided to be a dr. at about the same time. I had been thinking about it a long time so I thought if I shadowed some drs it would give me a good idea if medicine is something I would want to do for the rest of my life. I fell in love with medicine. Once again, I don't know what it was but I woke up one day and said, "I'm going to be a dr." I've always had an interest in the human body and helping people. I've always been the family dr, but when I was 8 I always called myself a nurse. So that's kind of how it started with me. What's important though is to keep your mind open. I did that all through high school and I'm glad I did because now that I have experienced different areas of study, I found what was right for me and I don't have any doubts about it(that's odd for me). ;) Hope this helps!

5. agent

agent agent, RN

when my wife had our first baby and i put on the scrubs.. i knew then.

there were other signs but that was probably the most prolific

6. kaos

kaos Web Crawler

Resident [Any Field]

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Yeah, experience is the best aide to decision-making.