how did you decide which schools you were "competitive" enough for?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jtown

working on my catchphrase
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
about to turn amcas in and just wondering if my striking out last year (2 interviews, 1 WL) was reflective of my application (amcas submitted 10/28, engineering undergrad = 3.5 gpa with few medical ECs) or due to the schools i chose...

i did well on the mcat and i think my PS is good, but i'm just questioning how people evaluate their competitiveness when choosing schools to apply for...

Members don't see this ad.

most schools will post a profile of the incoming class - GPA, MCAT, In-State/Out-of-State... so you can get an idea of what is getting in..... also MD Applicants will give you a more in-depth look at applicants (if they're being honest ;) )

you could also just ask a specific school you're interested in

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey!
Don't apply so late this time! Send in your AMCAS ASAP. Also apply to every type of school - especially those you absolutely know you will get into based on GPA and MCAT score. Make sure your stats are above average at your "safe schools" (remember those from applying to undergrad?). Then apply to schools that are in the "middle" - the schools that are not competitive, but not exactly a safe school either. Of course your competitive schools are where your GPA and MCAT score(s) are below their average.

Oh! Also talk about what you've learned during this application process. It worked for someone on SDN, and it might just work for you! If you end up with only waitlists - or you're waitlisted at schools you really want to attend, pursue them (send LOIs, extra LORs, etc). You might also want to call some of the schools who rejected or waitlisted you (this year) and ask them why you weren't as competitive as some of the other applicants they accepted. Mind you, this is not to be spiteful, but can provide you with critical information.

Just my two cents. Best of luck. :luck:

i never shortchanged myself to what type of schools i wanted to apply to, but also i never felt i was too good for any school as well. the process is a humbling one and that is why you should have a nice mix of schools.

apply early.
have a well rounded strong total application.

You'll never KNOW you're going to get into any school. My GPA & MCAT were above the averages for almost all schools. Maybe it's different for in-state schools in different states. Don't think you're completely out of any school, but also don't assume you'll get into any one school just because your numbers are way above average. I'd play it safe and apply to as many as you can afford; that's what I plan on doing if I need to reapply.

My friend loaned me the MSAR book and I checked out school's average GPA/MCAT scores... I also called up to ask and confirm... IN ADDITION as a Canadian applicant I called to make sure they accept Canadian students (as many schools don't).

I applied to the ones that matched my own GPA/MCAT and that had no MCAT cut off (because despite my 12's in BS and PS I scored a 7 on my Verbal), hence I didn't apply to Wisconsin.

With that all said, you should also apply to your 'dream schools' because you just never quite know....

good luck :luck:

Also, if you have a lot of pre-meds coming from your school, figure out where they tend to get accepted. A lot of med schools around my undergrad respect it and having a degree from there will give you a edge (its weird having the tour guides from a school know my pre-med advisor by name). But a school in California would not think twice about it.

1. get more medical EC's.
2. apply early.
3. enjoy med school.

Ask your guidance office if they have a list of applicants and their stats along with what schools they applied to and were accepted at. I made up my list based on the one my school provided me.

Unfortunately, that list made me think my app was weaker than it really was so in retrospect, I wish i applied to more top schools rather than focusing on the 40+ as the list suggested.

ocean11 said:
My friend loaned me the MSAR book and I checked out school's average GPA/MCAT scores... I also called up to ask and confirm... IN ADDITION as a Canadian applicant I called to make sure they accept Canadian students (as many schools don't).

I applied to the ones that matched my own GPA/MCAT and that had no MCAT cut off (because despite my 12's in BS and PS I scored a 7 on my Verbal), hence I didn't apply to Wisconsin.

With that all said, you should also apply to your 'dream schools' because you just never quite know....

good luck :luck:

How did you find out which schools have an MCAT cut-off? Did you call and ask them? Would they give you that kind of information?

ocean11 said:
IN ADDITION as a Canadian applicant I called to make sure they accept Canadian students (as many schools don't).

Hey ocean11,
I am a canadian applicant this year and was wondering if you could PM me or post a list of schools that you know accept canadian applicants.

thanks

Emory accepts Canadians.

i agree with most of the above posts. schools give you their AVERAGE accepted GPA/MCAT score...that means people have higher AND LOWER numbers. don't shortchange yourself. the biggest thing i've heard is to apply as early as possible.

I was told by an admissions counselor at a pretty good medical school that it's fair to call up a school and ask if they use a computer to cut off applicants. It may save some money.