How did you feel right after your MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MicroSteph

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I felt pretty crappy after I left the MCAT testing center. There were things I knew I got right, and things I thought were outrageously hard for me.

Is it normal to leave feeling awful? :(

Members don't see this ad.

i thought I was gonna puke and that I'd never get into medical school. that being said I've seen ppl on this site say they felt awful and ended up with a 37. don't' sweat it. it's gonna be a long 5 weeks tho :/

There's a subsection for the MCAT here. The general consensus is that most people feel bludgeoned and discouraged after taking the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Felt good and glad to be done. Went to go play some ultimate with some friends...also went to town on some chik fil a

I knew I absolutely bombed the PS. The only reason I didn't void is because I felt optimistic about my VR and BS score.

Breakdown: 14PS 10VR 11BS

Last edited:
I felt as shocked and horrified as when I was 14 and my mother caught me masturbating.

I know that feel, bro.
FD99R.jpg

During the test I somehow managed to stay extremely calm and level headed. But as I walked out of the test, it seemed that with every step I took, my mind was filling up with doubt, fear, and self loathing for not doing well.

tl;dr: at first I was like :( but then I saw my scores and was like :eek:

I felt absolutely terrible, but I had good reason to.

You see, during the PS section the proctors decided to set up a COMPUTER at the empty spot right next to me because a girl came in late. There was racketing and it was quite distracting. At that point, I almost decided to void the MCAT (is that what it's called?) right then and there, but then I thought to myself... a doctor would exude equanimity in my shoes! So I kept going.

I didn't retake the exam when I received my score.

My roommate and I bro-fived and bought two six packs of Hoegaarden.

28me79y.gif

Now, the week before the scores came in was a completely different story.

typical neurotic premeds answers lol:
walking out of the test: omg i failed hard
3 months later: oh phew i got a 39, not bad

walking out of the test i immediately had an epiphany and knew the answer to a question i was having a hard time with. usually one of those 50/50 choices that you get after process of elimination, and then...
RageFace.jpg

i got it wrong

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
walking out of the test i immediately had an epiphany and knew the answer to a question i was having a hard time with. usually one of those 50/50 choices that you get after process of elimination, and then...

i got it wrong

This happens to me on almost every exam I have ever taken across any subject, ever.

I exited the room and saw a RIDICULOUSLY hot girl. Like she was 10/10 no lie.

Omg thanks for making this thread and letting me remember her.

I left feeling like I was stumbling away from an epic trainwreck. Got a 34.

I exited the room and saw a RIDICULOUSLY hot girl. Like she was 10/10 no lie.

Omg thanks for making this thread and letting me remember her.

I saw a half-asian blonde. Blonde.

She was attractive to say the least.

after my second MCAT I smoked the fattest blunt of my life. so needless to say I was feeling pretty good :)

Last edited:
I felt completely brain dead, which was weird because I felt great during the test. I went to my car, feeling numb. Drove 35 on the highway 10 miles to my house without realizing it and then forgot my keys in my car.

Took a few hours for my brain to start working again.

I honestly don't remember, because I went home and got super wasted.

Well, once my brain felt better this is what I did. So I guess I went back to being brain dead.

Felt terrible about PS. I did the last 3 passages and last set of discretes in <9 minutes.

Felt fine on VR and fine on BS.

Result = my AAMC average of 33Q. So really, I ended up with a good score, but not entirely pleased because it was my average.

I was diagnosed with IBD two weeks before hand, couldn't study afterwards, and spent 10 minutes staring at the void scores screen... Ended up getting a 36Q. Definitely wasn't expecting that.

after my second MCAT I smoked the fattest blunt of my life. so needless to say I was feeling pretty good :)

I hope marijuana is legalized so potheads have nothing to talk about.

I felt pretty crappy after I left the MCAT testing center. There were things I knew I got right, and things I thought were outrageously hard for me.

Is it normal to leave feeling awful? :(

This is what I did after I took the test in Toledo, Ohio (Yeah, random, and unfortunately faraway).

1. McDonald's Big Mac, supersize.
2. Turned the radio to max volume as I cruised home on the highway.
3. Pre-gamed and went to the bar (I was of legal age).

Test score came back pretty good, then I repeated one of the above steps.

This is what I did after I took the test in Toledo, Ohio (Yeah, random, and unfortunately faraway).

1. McDonald's Big Mac, supersize.
2. Turned the radio to max volume as I cruised home on the highway.
3. Pre-gamed and went to the bar (I was of legal age).

Test score came back pretty good, then I repeated one of the above steps.

McDonald's Big Mac, supersize?

McDonald's Big Mac, supersize?

Yeah, well it was the first fast food place I came across, and one of the MCAT passages (Maybe the declaration, the constitution, Obamacare, or Common Sense...) probably made me feel patriotic about 'Murrica, even though doctors say that McDonald's will give me a heart attack one day...

Oh ROFLMAO no I did not repeat that step.

u say potheads like it's a bad thing

No, I used potheads as a term to describe people who regularly use it. Considering that you are looking to pursue a career in medicine, I would be careful.

Felt terrible about PS. I did the last 3 passages and last set of discretes in <9 minutes.

Felt fine on VR and fine on BS.

Result = my AAMC average of 33Q. So really, I ended up with a good score, but not entirely pleased because it was my average.

We had basically the exact same experience, but I felt bad about BS and rushed the last two passages (turned out one point higher than PS). Anyway, if I could go back I'd have retaken (not that I recommend this for you; the score was solid, but I was compensating for a mediocre GPA). I also thought I may have gotten as high as 13/14 on VR since I only guessed on two questions (and had averaged 12+).

thats a sexy looking breakdown ;-) nice job!

Thanks, gotta say it was a hell of a stressful month waiting for that score though, I literally cried when I got it back, in the middle of a meeting. Wasn't even embarrassed.

I was diagnosed with IBD two weeks before hand, couldn't study afterwards, and spent 10 minutes staring at the void scores screen... Ended up getting a 36Q. Definitely wasn't expecting that.

The void screen is only 5 minutes long, it auto-submits 'accept' at that point.

I know this because I spent 3 minutes staring at it before I decided '**** it, I don't want to do this shiat again.'

Felt that I got a 36

I got a 35

My AAMC averages were 38. I guess I'm pretty good at predicting stuff because I KNEW right after I exited the test that there was no chance in hell I scored a 38.

I left feeling like I was stumbling away from an epic trainwreck. Got a 34.

My experience exactly. I walked out and realized I had answered 5 questions wrong, probably cried a little bit in the car and sulked for the rest of the day.
I ended up doing better than I had averaged on the AAMCs.

OP, it's normal. Good luck! :)

I was so relieved to get it over with that I *almost* didn't care whart score I got. I told myself that there was nothing I could do now but wait, no sense in stressing out until scores got in. That lasted all of....oh 30 min? :rolleyes::D I tried not to think about it as much as possible but that was super hard. I just felt incredibly anxious. When scores came out I was horribly, horribly nervous. I made my SO look at his score and mine before I did. :laugh: When I did well I was super ecstatic. I was pretty much on an emotional "caffiene-high" for the next several days. Unfortunately it was a bit of a disappointment telling friends and family as most people I was around weren't familiar with MCAT scoring. They'd say "So what did you get?" Me: "31" Them: "..........is that good?" Me: ".....yeees" :rolleyes::laugh:

I was so relieved to get it over with that I *almost* didn't care whart score I got. I told myself that there was nothing I could do now but wait, no sense in stressing out until scores got in. That lasted all of....oh 30 min? :rolleyes::D I tried not to think about it as much as possible but that was super hard. I just felt incredibly anxious. When scores came out I was horribly, horribly nervous. I made my SO look at his score and mine before I did. :laugh: When I did well I was super ecstatic. I was pretty much on an emotional "caffiene-high" for the next several days. Unfortunately it was a bit of a disappointment telling friends and family as most people I was around weren't familiar with MCAT scoring. They'd say "So what did you get?" Me: "31" Them: "..........is that good?" Me: ".....yeees" :rolleyes::laugh:

You got a 31%? I'm so sorry. :(

I had the worst headache of my life when I left the testing center. It didn't go away until the next day. I remember being a little upset that I didn't finish the last sentence of one of my WS essays, but I was not worried about the score too much. I knew that there was nothing I could do and I wouldn't know for a month, so stressing was a waste of energy.

As soon as I exited the test center, I called my grandpa and told him that I was going to be a doctor....I ended up with a 35...no 40 but I was pretty happy.

I felt awesome coming out because I knew that I would never have to look at that test again. I went to the nearest Chik-fil-A as a reward lunch and started day drinking as soon as I got home. Ended up with a 32 :)

I was not only upset, but PISSED. There was so much frickin' orgo!!! It felt like BS was a trainwreck, and I wasn't thrilled with VR either.

I wound up with a 35S though (the S didn't surprise me, I felt amazing about my essays =P) - 12/11/12. So yeah, don't sweat it. Just return to your normal routine, your score will come when it comes.

P.S. - Apparently the NCLEX gives takers very similar experiences.

WOW! Thank you guys. I felt like an epic trainwreck. I called my mom to pick me up and tried not to let my voice crack. As soon as she pulled up, I got in the car and said "I'm going to need to have a good cry real fast." I felt much better three hours later just knowing that it was over. Packing up these MCAT study books has also been really nice.

This was very therapeutic to see. :)

There were no words that could describe how I felt.

So allow me to explain through GIFs.

zS2No.gif

SANTANA_CRYING_AGAIN.gif

2ix55.gif

But I ended up with a 35. So yeah.

You got a 31%? I'm so sorry. :(
:laugh: Yeah I actually did have one or two people look at me all confused and say "... 31...percent...?" lol :p

I was not only upset, but PISSED. There was so much frickin' orgo!!! It felt like BS was a trainwreck, and I wasn't thrilled with VR either.

Ugh did you take it the summer before last? I felt the same way. EVERYONE I talked to said there's hardly any Orgo, and I'd had it more recently so I didn't spend much time at all studying it. I even did well on several AMCAS practice tests and thy didn't have much Orgo. I even had someone tell me that I shouldn't need to study Orgo at all because there was hardly any on the test and it was all super basic... WRONG! The BS section seemed like it was over half Orgo, and it had some crazy specific stuff. I consoled myself by realizing that even if I had studied it more, there was NO way I would have known all of the super specific things they were asking about. My SO took it the same day and said thr same thing. That helped me feel a little better, but not much. Luckily it turned out okay. ;)

I honestly felt pretty good walking out. I took practice tests ever other day for the past 2 weeks before my test, so when the test rolled around, I was realyl comfortable with taking it. I ended up doing better than my highest score on my practice tests, so I was pleasantly surprised.