How did you find out about DOs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How did you find out about Dos?

• My doctor is a DO!

Votes: 18 17.3%
  • School Advisors (includes family members)

Votes: 21 20.2%
  • SDN forums

Votes: 21 20.2%
  • Other

Votes: 44 42.3%

• Total voters

MadHopsMD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How did you find out about DO? Here, in canada, I had no idea about DO degree, until i visited the forums. I love the DO philosophy...I am curious though how did most of you find out about DO?

Members don't see this ad.

How did you find out about DO? Here, in canada, I had no idea about DO degree, until i visited the forums. I love the DO philosophy...I am curious though how did most of you find out about DO?

if other please specify

Members don't see this ad :)
Def gonna have to say SDN. I had no clue what a DO was until I came here a few years ago. And one of my best friends families were all DO's and I just knew they were "doctors".

My doctor was a DO but I had no clue what that meant, all I knew was she was my doctor and I liked how she treated me. I later found out what DO was from these forums when I decided to pursue this career.

I saw the DO initial in the hospital but never really thought much about it......i've always looked at all docs as docs....when I joined SDN did I only realize the major difference in their training and unfortunately the other not so good things that other people may have to say about them on this forum

I more or less knew all my life because my uncle got his DO from KCOM a year before I was born.

Be careful saying you love the DO philosophy. Overly sensitive people on these forums will have knee jerk reactions and turn this into another MD vs DO thread.

I heard about it from my MD uncle.

Same as everyone else.. Looked at MD programs.. Heard something about DO propaganda.. Figured if MDs don't let me in.. I can always be a second-rate doctor..

Summer program for high school students interested in medicine. Had lots of guest speakers that summer; DO was on of them. She gave a talk and an OMM demo...was hooked ever since.

I applied at the Police department and the screener said jokingly my grades were good enough for D.O.. His partner had retired and went to DO school and said he loves it. So, I went home and read up on it and said that is what I want to do. Pure happenstance.

I found out through research on the internet about Doctor's,when I was contimplating on whether to become one. But SDN helped out alot in my Osteopathic Education....... :D

5 years ago I was in the Army. My parents passed away and I ended up being treated for depression. The doctor who treated me was by far the nicest officer I had ever met, let alone one of the most caring physicians I'd ever been to. I asked him where he went to medical school. He looked around, like he was making sure nobody was listening, then he leaned over and said in a very low voice, "Well, I'm a D.O." I asked, "What does that specialty do?" He then told me a little background about osteopathic medicine.

That's the story of my first time.

5 years ago I was in the Army. My parents passed away and I ended up being treated for depression. The doctor who treated me was by far the nicest officer I had ever met, let alone one of the most caring physicians I'd ever been to. I asked him where he went to medical school. He looked around, like he was making sure nobody was listening, then he leaned over and said in a very low voice, "Well, I'm a D.O." I asked, "What does that specialty do?" He then told me a little background about osteopathic medicine.

That's the story of my first time.

Wow, MedSchoolFool, did he seem embarrased to tell you this? That's a great story.

Wow, MedSchoolFool, did he seem embarrased to tell you this? That's a great story.

LOL. I hope he was being sarcastic, when he whispered to you he is a DO. It's not like he is doing something illegal or was he ;)

My cousin graduated in 1997 from nycom, this is how I discovered about DOs.

LOL. I hope he was being sarcastic, when he whispered to you he is a DO. It's not like he is doing something illegal or was he ;)

My cousin graduated in 1997 from nycom, this is how I discovered about DOs.
I've worked with several of them. Docs are docs and the "philosophy" isn't that much different despite all the propaganda claiming otherwise.

Honestly, he did seem a little embarrassed. It was like he wanted to make sure nobody else heard what he was saying. I didn't understand it at the time, although I now know about the "stigma" ;)