How did you get through your first year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BinhH

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got accepted for next year Fall. I would like to know if anybody on here could share how they get through the changes, the course load and so on successfully in their first year. Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

I just got accepted for next year Fall. I would like to know if anybody on here could share how they get through the changes, the course load and so on successfully in their first year. Thanks :)
people weren't kidding when they said dental school was going to hit you like ton of bricks. first week of acclimation was rough and i even questioned if i could survive but the fact that i knew other people had gone through this beating before me gave me the boost in confidence to suck it up. i got used to the pace real quick and soon i forgot how terrible my life is and how easy college was in comparison. dental school's difficulty became my norm. i never studied everyday in college, always crammin'. i couldn't cram at the last minute for dental school and still get A's. i didn't have to learn this the hard way because i knew i had to keep up based on the advice from upperclassmen. don't cram, at least for gross and other hard classes. you could probably cram from some of the easier classes.

Reactions: 1 user
I had to learn how to learn all over again. Like sgv said above, my undergrad approach simply does not work at my dental school.

In dental school, I stopped going to lecture, slept in, and began to watch the lecture recordings instead so I could pause and take notes when needed (cant do this in live lecture). This was much more efficient use of my time. I also started to schedule what days I would be studying what material so that I know exactly where I am and not get worried that I am behind or overwhelmed. Finally, I started to use digital flashcards (Anki) and that helped tremendously for recall since it forces me to only study what I don't know.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No one thing in dental school's first two years is particularly hard; it's a matter of volume. Dental school is an endurance contest.
You would be wise to work at it a reasonable amount each and every day. You cannot cram and be successful. Cramming is a silly way to learn anyway; you forget too much. And you owe it to your future patients to remember.

By the way: A test is merely a tool, and a blunt, rusty one at that. We learn so that we can solve interesting problems and make a difference.
The focus of dental education should be (and often isn't) solving problems for our fellow human beings, not test scores or clinical requirements.
Gaining the ability to solve interesting problems in the world around us, and for the people--our neighbors--who live in it, is the real reason for all this learning.

Thank you so much to everyone for the responses. I have learned that cramming does not work for me well for me personally since my third semester of undergrad. From then, I haven't crammed at all.

Are some or most of the materials from Biochem, Anatomy, Histology and Physiology from undergrad ( 300s and 400s level courses) carry over to the materials in dental school in any way?

A test is merely a tool, and a blunt, rusty one at that. We learn so that we can solve interesting problems and make a difference.
The focus of dental education should be (and often isn't) solving problems for our fellow human beings, not test scores or clinical requirements.

I do totally agree with you on that. A test grade does give a good look on an individual's understanding of the topic but does not fully show the true potential of a great dentist 100%.

Thank you so much to everyone for the responses. I have learned that cramming does not work for me well for me personally since my third semester of undergrad. From then, I haven't crammed at all.

Are some or most of the materials from Biochem, Anatomy, Histology and Physiology from undergrad ( 300s and 400s level courses) carry over to the materials in dental school in any way?

These are probably the 4 best prep classes for dental school you could have. I also wish I would have had more exposure to cell bio, microbio and embryology. There will definitely be carry over and if you have a solid education in these classes you will probably pick up on the dental school material a bit easier during 1st year. I only had biochem out of that group, and I am always jealous when most of my classmates know a bunch of stuff before lectures even start.

Do you recommend taking human physiology? thanks.

Do you recommend taking human physiology? thanks.

Definitely take it, some of the materials surely will appear again in dental school. And more importantly, a lot of materials will be on the DAT if you have not taken it already. The class it self is helpful and fun as well. A must-take for pre-dentals.

I have just finished the first semester of D1 year, and have to say that I am the happiest I have ever been. I am a non- traditional student so I am just happy to be in dental school and moving in what I believe is a really great direction.

Dental school is tough, but it's also fun to go through it all with your new friends. Sometimes the pressure is overwhelming, but then when your exams go well it is simply the best feeling. My advice, (in addition to completion of the courses listed above), is to relax and enjoy yourself now, and look forward to the next four years, they will be an awesome ride!!

Reactions: 1 users
I just finished my first semester and it wasn't nearly as hard as I expected. Anatomy was a beast but not anything that I couldn't handle. I spend about 4-5 hours studying during the weekend and took a large majority of my weekends off. Second year is when "things get real" at my school so I am just taking advantage of this "easy time" while I can!

School is all about balance. There were people in my class that were constantly freaking about about every little quiz and I could see how they would get overwhelmed. Just know that unless you royally screw up, you'll be a dentist. Enjoy the dental school experience while you're in it.

I just finished my first semester and it wasn't nearly as hard as I expected. Anatomy was a beast but not anything that I couldn't handle. I spend about 4-5 hours studying during the weekend and took a large majority of my weekends off. Second year is when "things get real" at my school so I am just taking advantage of this "easy time" while I can!

School is all about balance. There were people in my class that were constantly freaking about about every little quiz and I could see how they would get overwhelmed. Just know that unless you royally screw up, you'll be a dentist. Enjoy the dental school experience while you're in it.
same here. 1st year is a bruise. 2nd year is death.