How did you go from PharmD to MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rlin656

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am currently a P3 and have been seriously considering pursuing a MD degree after I receive my PharmD. I was just wondering how others got into medical school after receiving their PharmD. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

apply to medical school just like any other degree holder

Reactions: 9 users
Seems like every year at my alma mater there's a P4 student who ends up going to medical school right after graduation. All they did was apply to schools. Really isn't that difficult.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I am currently a P3 and have been seriously considering pursuing a MD degree after I receive my PharmD. I was just wondering how others got into medical school after receiving their PharmD. Thank you!

Just a suggestion: you may get more responses if you post this in the med school forum? Ex: "Did anyone here get a PharmD before medical school?"

You might also get more insight as to what the transition was like going from pharm to med?

Someone who went to pharm school first, then to med school, might not be checking the pharmacy forums anymore...

Reactions: 1 user
You take the MCAT and then apply to medical school.

Get into a time machine, go back 3 years and apply to med school.

Reactions: 4 users
Take the MCAT, shadow physicians/work with them on rotations and apply like any other student. Having a PharmD doesn't mean you get to skip classes, you'll have to do the full 4 years. Pre-reqs for med school and pharmacy school are basically idential, but you should also check and make sure you have all the pre-reqs done for the schools you might want to apply to.

Apply to med school like any other poor sap. This means taking the MCAT (which sucks).

I do know of some pharm schools that have med schools associated with them that may let you skip some classes, but not enough to get ahead by a year. You will get no special treatment being a pharmacist. Be prepared to talk about why you switched. They won't look down on you switching careers as long as your honest about why you want to switch.

To OP:

Hind sight is 20/20. If you think MD is right for you, then do it now, use the extra year to apply. You will have an advantage in knowledge, and a second chance in P4 if you don't get in the first year.

My personal experience is kind of opposite of yours?. I got into med school, but called it off before school started to work and support my girlfriend back then. But I think I can still give you a few pointers.

One, having taken MCAT, don't let PCAT mislead you. It's not even close. You better be setting aside 2-4 hr a day at least 3 months in advance of MCAT to review materials. I got a 32 composite (~85th percentile) on MCAT, but basically without further studying it got me 96th percentile on PCAT and 650 on GMAT.

Practice like its the real fight, and fight like its practice. I practiced mock tests in an empty classroom 8 hrs at a time like it was the real thing. After a couple, I was a lot more comfortable, confident, and less anxious. And learned couple of tricks -- my brain start to fade after 4-5 hours of focus. So when everyone else was looking up answers or cramming in between, I was munching on candy bars full of protein and sugar.

Have another focus in life. One thing my GF back then did do for me was to make me aware that not everything is won or lost in a test. She... ah... relaxed me the night before. I woke up 10-15 minutes late and barged in the test a bit late (don't do that), but had a grin on my face for those who looked at me like "who's this unprepared fool?!" MCAT wasn't the end all, and I know I did better on it because I wasn't over stressed or second guessing myself during it.

Anyway. I say if you want to try MD, go for it. Use your time and opportunity to the max, don't wait. But always have a pragmatic back up plan. Most people will make mistakes. The difference between a total failure and a second chance is did you put a safety net in pace.

^ why were you supporting your gf and how much did you spend per month supporting her?

^ why were you supporting your gf and how much did you spend per month supporting her?

I thought she was my soul mate. We were the same age, met in undergrad. She was a liberal arts major (economics), couldn't find a job upon graduation. Meanwhile, Pfizer called me with an job offer because I did summer internship during 3rd year summer, and my instructor recommended me when I was about to graduate. So I called off med school (I wonder who's the lucky bastard that got my spot). I recommended a masters in management information system (MIS) as the hot field to get into. Paid for it, even helped her to get a job upon graduation But almost like a cliché in a bad movie, she cheated with her boss at that job who was married with kids... Sorry, I'll paid the price for being naïve, but I am not afraid to cut out a dead limb if I have to.

Reactions: 3 users
^ if she had really wanted to be with you, she would have taken a low paying job and encouraged you to go to med school.

Do you know what is she doing now?

Members don't see this ad :)
^ if she had really wanted to be with you, she would have taken a low paying job and encouraged you to go to med school.

Do you know what is she doing now?

Like I said, hind sight is 20/20. For the record, I don't think she set out to cheat on me (It's too private). I was far from blameless, even reckless or un-asian in my pursuit. I took her from her boyfriend at the beginning. Even if it was a fair competition by the "all is fair in love and war" standards, it should have warned me. But I was mesmerized by her beauty, and in many ways I got what I deserved.

For men, we physically mature earlier but mentally mature later, opposite of what females do. In an objective evaluation, we are the result of the evolutionary drive to generate the highest survival rate for our off-springs. In an objective evaluation, it make sense for me to fight to possess her (and as many as possible), it also made sense for her to cheat to gain the best opportunity to have viable offsprings.

I want to make it clear that, tt's not a battle of men vs women, but a case of buyer beware. We are all responsible for what we sow.

To put an end of my private life. I am a director of pharmacy with lingering regrets. She failed to get her boss to divorce his wife, and the last I heard from a friend was that she moved back to Hong Kong. I hated her once, but time has tempered it, as it's a fault of our own making. We both got what we deserved, and such is life.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
^ how much do you think her boss was making?

I took the necessary prerequisites before my MCAT and interviewed during rotations to matriculate directly into medical school.

^ how much do you think her boss was making?

Why do you want so much details? Does it even matter in a lesson of life hard earned?

I was making $60-63k/yr as a senior assistant medicinal chemist at Pfizer in 2005-2006. She was making $70-73K/yr as a new masters in MIS. Her boss, I can guess maybe breaking $100K/yr back then.

I guess the lesson to guys are: girls in IT have many choices. Unless she has some serious Confucian values, the BF better be have some serious advantages. LOL, but hey, I was the one who recommended MIS to her. Hey, love fools will suffer no matter what century they live in.

^^ you wanted to share! Lol

Most girls want to marry up and $70 k > $60 k. Glad things worked out for you in the end.

^^ you wanted to share! Lol

Most girls want to marry up and $70 k > $60 k. Glad things worked out for you in the end.

Lol, thumbs up.

One of the lesson I learned. She was really willing to give her all when I gave up med school for her... Again, too private. But I believe she was sincere when when she was 21, but that was then.

Like I said, hindsight is 20/20: a man sacrificing his wings for a girl probably will likely have neither that future or the girl. Hence my wife, who healed my wound in my darkest hour, is nothing like her...

Hmm, I would say another lesson to be learned is to never expose and show weakness and vulnerabilities, otherwise people will take advantage of that and crush you mercilessly. Not just relationships, but also applicable everywhere.

Hmm, I would say another lesson to be learned is to never expose and show weakness and vulnerabilities, otherwise people will take advantage of that and crush you mercilessly. Not just relationships, but also applicable everywhere.

This is why my wife isn't allowed to look me in the eyes.

Reactions: 2 users
This is why my wife isn't allowed to look me in the eyes.

Smart move, she won't have the chance to stare into your soul and find vulnerabilities to exploit, lol

I guess the lesson to guys are: girls in IT have many choices. Unless she has some serious Confucian values, the BF better be have some serious advantages. LOL, but hey, I was the one who recommended MIS to her. Hey, love fools will suffer no matter what century they live in.

Adding this to my reasons for telling others to choose IT/computer programming over pharmacy.

Like I said, hind sight is 20/20. For the record, I don't think she set out to cheat on me (It's too private). I was far from blameless, even reckless or un-asian in my pursuit. I took her from her boyfriend at the beginning. Even if it was a fair competition by the "all is fair in love and war" standards, it should have warned me. But I was mesmerized by her beauty, and in many ways I got what I deserved.

For men, we physically mature earlier but mentally mature later, opposite of what females do. In an objective evaluation, we are the result of the evolutionary drive to generate the highest survival rate for our off-springs. In an objective evaluation, it make sense for me to fight to possess her (and as many as possible), it also made sense for her to cheat to gain the best opportunity to have viable offsprings.

I want to make it clear that, tt's not a battle of men vs women, but a case of buyer beware. We are all responsible for what we sow.

To put an end of my private life. I am a director of pharmacy with lingering regrets. She failed to get her boss to divorce his wife, and the last I heard from a friend was that she moved back to Hong Kong. I hated her once, but time has tempered it, as it's a fault of our own making. We both got what we deserved, and such is life.

Sorry to hear that man.

Just covered up the Phar on my name tag with a piece of tape, now it says mD.

Reactions: 21 users
Just covered up the Phar on my name tag with a piece of tape, now it says mD.

Dude, do you always have these witty remarks prepared in advance. They always crack me up. lmao.

Lol, thumbs up.

One of the lesson I learned. She was really willing to give her all when I gave up med school for her... Again, too private. But I believe she was sincere when when she was 21, but that was then.

Like I said, hindsight is 20/20: a man sacrificing his wings for a girl probably will likely have neither that future or the girl. Hence my wife, who healed my wound in my darkest hour, is nothing like her...

It's okay dude. Life happens. I know a guy who had a similar thing happened to him. His gf was hot...but I feel that after you start dedicating your life to a girl or make your life revolve around her...it will turn her off. Girls say they want a guy who put them first but if you change your life in a way just to accommodate hers then it becomes unattractive. Once you pay less attention to them and start doing your own things and focus on your own plans, the attraction is there again. Just what I have observed and learned myself throughout the years.

Most of the advice has been given already, but do you have a plan for when you'd like to go? You may need at least a few months or even a year of study time if you're busy with school or work. The applications open in June the year before, so if you're applying for Fall 2017, you'd need to get that application in June/July of 2016, meaning you'd probably have to start studying now for the MCAT.

Also, what about your loans? If you have a lot, maybe working 1-2 years may be a good idea. Medical school is expensive unless you go to a state school or a school in Texas. I worked 4 years before going back b/c I didn't want to get any loans.

May I ask how long you did residency if you did it?

Anyone else sometimes consider this for fear of pharmacy becoming less lucrative in the future? I sometimes try to think of an exit strategy in case we get to the point where pharmacist salaries are sub-100k and more established people are let go or adjusted to those rates. Something tells me a non-medical route might be the better option at that point.

Anyone else sometimes consider this for fear of pharmacy becoming less lucrative in the future? I sometimes try to think of an exit strategy in case we get to the point where pharmacist salaries are sub-100k and more established people are let go or adjusted to those rates. Something tells me a non-medical route might be the better option at that point.

I think you should be thinking about this regardless if salary goes down or not. When you work for a corporation you are at their mercy and the corporation is at the mercy of its investors. Investors only care about making money.

I think you should be thinking about this regardless if salary goes down or not. When you work for a corporation you are at their mercy and the corporation is at the mercy of its investors. Investors only care about making money.

I agree. I work in a specialty hospital, and I have seen experienced pharmacists replaced with new residency grads with no experience and no clue. When people talk about the pharmacist oversupply, they usually refer to retail pharmacists getting the boot. Many of my colleagues seem to think we are immune since there is a larger skill set for our job, but the truth is that no one is immune.

That's one reason I've considered getting an MBA. It would at least make me able to apply to some sort of medical business type of job or just a straight business Job .

That's not a bad idea, and I've thought about it myself. If pharmacy ever gets to the point where I want to bail, then it is probably likely that healthcare in general isn't the field for me. It's just hard to think of a field where I could make the same money and have the same level of interest. If I could do it again I would probably become a software developer, but my fear is I would enter into another bubble on the verge of bursting if I started now.

I agree. I work in a specialty hospital, and I have seen experienced pharmacists replaced with new residency grads with no experience and no clue. When people talk about the pharmacist oversupply, they usually refer to retail pharmacists getting the boot. Many of my colleagues seem to think we are immune since there is a larger skill set for our job, but the truth is that no one is immune.

I know what you mean. I have seen it as well. Some people expect to work until they are 65 so they plan their lifestyle around it. 30 year mortgage. Don't put money in their 401 k. No raining day fund.

Then bamm! They are let go at age 55 after 25 years at the same hospital/company. Where are they going to go now? It is a cruel world out there.

I wish I had started right when I graduated from pharm school. even going part time I would have had my MBA by now....

Aren't you married to a physician? It is nice to have two professional incomes.

PharmD to Med student (M1) here. As a PharmD you are pretty much the same as any other applicant in the eyes of most schools. The way they see it, they will teach you everything you need to know so the PharmD is not a big deal. I didn't get any special consideration because of my PharmD except for one school which made it clear that they thought it was advantageous. However as another poster said, the PCAT isn't even close to the MCAT. No comparison. I too was in the 96 percentile for the PCAT. 82 percentile for the MCAT and I felt like my brain was fried when it was over. But now that I'm here I love it, I have absolutely no regrets. I will say is that the workload is much greater in medical school (believe it or not). The difficulty of the material is the same as pharmacy school but the volume is significantly higher, and more hands on material. However my knowledge of pharmacotherapy helps me tremendously. Compared to pharmacy, medical students take pharmacology "lite". Pharmacokinetics "extra lite". But most of the other classes, anatomy, immunology, etc. are MUCH more detailed in medical school. We go into great detail about things we didn't even touch in pharmacy school. Just make sure it's what you want to do before you apply. Good luck, but remember as an applicant, you are pretty much the same as everyone else at most schools. As a student, you will have an advantage, to an extent.

Reactions: 4 users
I just dropped out of pharmacy school and applied to med school like normal lol. Bonus that I lived in TX though. Also I don't have my pharmd so there's that. I actually think its easier to explain an early switch than a late one but YMMV. No one really asked me about why I switched either..

Fast forward through nearly three and a half years. You are now on the interview trial for the residency of your choice with that PharmD that you decide to finish. It is one of the first things that the program director looks at and they make a remark about you would be an awesome addition to their team. Add to that your incredible academic development (i.e tutoring, publications, presentations... etc) because of the free time you have to explore other interest given your background.

I've been on nearly 10 interviews now for residency (with at least double that to come) and more than a few have straight up asked me what they can do to bring me to their institution if even for a year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Finished my BSPharm (pre-pharmD days) and went to med school right after, did residency in EM and practicing ever since on residency faculty at large teaching hospital. Have been very involved with P&T at hospital (vice-chair P&T committee, chair of ADE committee). Pharm background has been hugely helpful over the years. Be sure you understand what's involved and really want to be a physician and do all the work involved b4 making the switch. But it's very worth it if u want it. Feel free to PM me if u have more questions.

Fast forward through nearly three and a half years. You are now on the interview trial for the residency of your choice with that PharmD that you decide to finish. It is one of the first things that the program director looks at and they make a remark about you would be an awesome addition to their team. Add to that your incredible academic development (i.e tutoring, publications, presentations... etc) because of the free time you have to explore other interest given your background.

I've been on nearly 10 interviews now for residency (with at least double that to come) and more than a few have straight up asked me what they can do to bring me to their institution if even for a year.
omg really?!? what specialty are you applying for?

"I took her from her boyfriend at the beginning"

Easy come, easy go. Dude she left her bf for you that easy, then it's gonna be easy for her to leave you for another guy.

Even with something like family med, the shortest amount of time for school+residency would be 7 years right?

I think that's the big thing that bugs a lot of potential applicants, especially those with a Pharm.D and average age of 25YO or above. After the endeavor, you will be mid 30s and 30 years hopefully from retirement. But then you have to pay off student debt, buy that house, pay off that 15 yr mortgage, and then save for retirement.

Is being a non-specialist MD going to bring in enough money?

Exclusion criteria: 6yr Pharm.D program and maybe <25YO, Have no debt somehow, Don't care about money and not living like a student forever.

TBH, if I was any younger and less broke as a joke, this would be a non-issue.

I think a PharmD might be a little bit helpful for med school application, depending on the school, but for residency and employment I think it would be a big advantage. That being said I personally don't think I'd like spending so long in school... you education could be nearly as long as your career!!!

Even with something like family med, the shortest amount of time for school+residency would be 7 years right?

I think that's the big thing that bugs a lot of potential applicants, especially those with a Pharm.D and average age of 25YO or above. After the endeavor, you will be mid 30s and 30 years hopefully from retirement. But then you have to pay off student debt, buy that house, pay off that 15 yr mortgage, and then save for retirement.

Is being a non-specialist MD going to bring in enough money?

Exclusion criteria: 6yr Pharm.D program and maybe <25YO, Have no debt somehow, Don't care about money and not living like a student forever.

TBH, if I was any younger and less broke as a joke, this would be a non-issue.

Do what makes you happy. Everyone will come and go in 60 years. I don't think it's that big of a deal.

Just to revive an older thread... I currently hold a 2+4 Canadian PharmD hoping to pursue MD/DO route. Many schools I've inquired about actually require a Bachelor's degree before matriculation - and unfortunately the PharmD doctoral professional degree does not count towards it.

Meaning.. I'd have to finish additional two years in UG to be eligible to apply. YIKES.... anyone in the same situation??? :(

Just to revive an older thread... I currently hold a 2+4 Canadian PharmD hoping to pursue MD/DO route. Many schools I've inquired about actually require a Bachelor's degree before matriculation - and unfortunately the PharmD doctoral professional degree does not count towards it.

Meaning.. I'd have to finish additional two years in UG to be eligible to apply. YIKES.... anyone in the same situation??? :(

I think there are only a handful of Canadian med schools so they are ultra competitive. Carribean then i guess.

I think there are only a handful of Canadian med schools so they are ultra competitive. Carribean then i guess.

My ultimate plan is to cross over to the US - I have no problem starting a new life there. I'm just trying to gather a list of schools that will accept my PharmD as adequate degree before matriculation.

Caribbean would be out of question haha