How did you guys choose your vets?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Starry-chan

Anatomy Enthusiast
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how those of you, who aren't already vets, decided on a vet to take your pets to. What factors did you consider? What are the red flags to avoid? My vet is leaving the practice and I don't like the other vet, so I'm going to have to be going elsewhere. After hearing on this forum about how horrible some practices do dentals, it made it sound like I need to be careful in picking a new practice because they might do a lot of things in a substandard way.

Members don't see this ad.

You could always ask your vet if they have any recommendations for other vets around town before they leave! They tend to know who they trust vs who they don't in the vet community in town if they've been practicing a while. That's how I would choose if I needed to change vets :)

Reactions: 2 users
You could always ask your vet if they have any recommendations for other vets around town before they leave! They tend to know who they trust vs who they don't in the vet community in town if they've been practicing a while. That's how I would choose if I needed to change vets :)
This. Also ask the techs. Don't ask them to tell you who isn't good but do ask who they think is great. You can also interview a potential new vet and ask questions about how they practice or ask for a tour. Not all practices will do that but some will.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure how good it will be to ask the people in the practice you're at now if it's a 2 Doctor practice and one is leaving. As an associate of a practice I would be extremely uncomfortable if a client said "hey I know you're leaving but I hate the other vets here, can you recommend another practice for me?" I may recommend a particular hospital if a client was moving away and I knew the area... But a local competitor? No way (even if I were leaving because I hated the place). If multi doctor, totally fine to ask your vet or tech who they recommend within the practice.

And who knows what the politics are at the clinic and under what circumstances your vet is leaving. So asking the techs may not be fruitful unless there are multiple doctors there. Also, a tech that recommends a client go to a competitor is a tech that likely won't be employed much longer if the boss found out...

Yelp/online review is generally worthless. Word of mouth from other pet owners who share your philosophies in pet care is a good start. Or asking people in the field unrelated to the hospital you're currently at. Otherwise it's a matter of trying a place out and seeing how comfortable with the care you get there. Another thing to consider is hours/availability. There are practices that just can't or won't accommodate sick pet visits in a timely manner making it so that you have to go elsewhere. That's fine for some people, it makes others irate. Some hospitals have the capacity to hospitalize patients, others don't. Some have the capacity to board animals. There are pros and cons to smaller vs bigger hospitals. One is availability as I've said, and another can be continuity of care. Multi Doctor practices tend to be open for more hours, but it may or may not be harder to see the same Doctor each time (especially for sick visits). Some hospitals see exotics, others don't. Some are more cat friendly.

Ultimately it comes down to the experience you have there, so at some point you just have to try it out and see.

Doesn't help you much in terms of selecting a good fit hospital, but criteria set that would make me NOT trust to do my pet's dentals are:

Places that do not have intraoral dental xrays. Particularly places that will extract teeth without xrays.
Places that "do just a cleaning"
Places that offer anesthesia free dentistry

I cringe when I hear "what!? Your vet charged $1000 for a dental? What a ripoff! my vet is awesome, it was only $200-250 with bloodwork included for my middle aged yorkie!"
Like sheesh, lady, I can almost assure you that you are the one ripped off unless the practice was losing money on their dentals.

Reactions: 5 users
I cringe when I hear "what!? Your vet charged $1000 for a dental? What a ripoff! my vet is awesome, it was only $200-250 with bloodwork included for my middle aged yorkie!"
Like sheesh, lady, I can almost assure you that you are the one ripped off unless the practice was losing money on their dentals.

Ugh, this reminds me of almost everybody I know. It seems like whenever I mention something medical-related about my dog or somebody finds out I have an interest in the veterinary field, the conversation turns to how vet care is a rip off unless it's dirt cheap. And it seems like they always have some cheap doctor to recommend. I always equate cheap to substandard medicine :/ I am familiar with one of the vets that get recommended to me. I went to him with my mom a few times. One time somebody brought in a dog that had been hit in the shoulder by a quad and possibly had a fracture. I heard the staff tell them they don't own an x-ray machine. FREAKING SERIOUSLY?!?!

And then I have other friends who go on and on about this holistic vet and her acupuncture and how I should get it for my dog and after reading about that stuff on here I am distrustful as hell of it.

I'm not opposed to acupuncture. I know some really amazing vets that incorporate it, it actually has some science behind it, and some animals really benefit from it. I don't practice it, but I don't discount it, and I even recommend it for some of my patients. If anyone mentions homeopathy, run.

I mean, what you want from a vet clinic is very personal so I would really think about criteria you have and narrow it down from there. More expensive doesn't always mean better care either, so you have to be careful there.

Last edited:
In your area.

In our area, we charge $200 for the dental, add $100 for dental rads, and then extra for any extractions. If we didn't, we would lose a ton of business (It is on the cheaper end).

If we do extractions and the owner refuses rads, we still do take them on the extracted teeth.

Reactions: 1 users
In your area.

In our area, we charge $200 for the dental, add $100 for dental rads, and then extra for any extractions. If we didn't, we would lose a ton of business (It is on the cheaper end).

If we do extractions and the owner refuses rads, we still do take them on the extracted teeth.
So can I ship my 3 cavaliers to your office for dentals?! Even with airfare it would probably be cheaper than having it done around here, and I know at least 2 of them need extractions.

So can I ship my 3 cavaliers to your office for dentals?! Even with airfare it would probably be cheaper than having it done around here, and I know at least 2 of them need extractions.
OMG... mail order veterinary care. The newest thing. @dyachei get in while it is new.

FWIW, there is an orthopedic surgeon in W. Virginia that 1/2 the Italian Greyhound community uses. They will literally drive 12 hours to bring their broken IGs to him.

OMG... mail order veterinary care. The newest thing. @dyachei get in while it is new.

FWIW, there is an orthopedic surgeon in W. Virginia that 1/2 the Italian Greyhound community uses. They will literally drive 12 hours to bring their broken IGs to him.

Speaking of broken IGs. I had an 11 week old broken IG when I was ortho over the holidays. He was so freaking cute. Thought of you and your IGs.

Speaking of broken IGs. I had an 11 week old broken IG when I was ortho over the holidays. He was so freaking cute. Thought of you and your IGs.
please don't think of me when you think "broken" IG. Think of me when you see cute IGs, perfectly healthy, for wellness exams. :)

Knock on wood. My cuties are surprisingly well lately (balancing the horrible winter of kitty's last months last year).

please don't think of me when you think "broken" IG. Think of me when you see cute IGs, perfectly healthy, for wellness exams. :)

Knock on wood. My cuties are surprisingly well lately (balancing the horrible winter of kitty's last months last year).

He wasn't badly broken . Just a fracture that was healing. So he was basically healthy and extremely adorable. It wasn't the broken part that made me think of you. It was just this wording that reminded me that I wanted to tell you about the adorableness that was my patient.

Members don't see this ad :)
In your area.

Obviously location matters. I'm talking substantial price differentials in the same area. I can almost assure you that you cannot be performing a high quality dental for that price given the cost of living in this area. Cheapest blood panel I have is >$120

But the difference also is that you offer rads (extra), extractions is also extra, and I'm guessing bloodwork as well (never mind, just caught that).

Obviously location matters. I'm talking substantial price differentials in the same area. I can almost assure you that you cannot be performing a high quality dental for that price given the cost of living in this area. Cheapest blood panel I have is >$120

But the difference also is that you offer rads (extra), extractions is also extra, and I'm guessing bloodwork as well (never mind, just caught that).
I offer rads as extra because so many people don't want them even when I explain it's the best med. And I think extractions *should* be extra.

I offer rads as extra because so many people don't want them even when I explain it's the best med. And I think extractions *should* be extra.
Oh I agree with you. Big time. And I can appreciate the rad struggle. The key is you offer it.

I'm not saying there is a dollar amount threshold for a proper dental. Hell, I lose money on every dental I do. I don't make production on my dentals because we need to price things competitively. I get that struggle.

But it's a problem when a "just scaling" 10 minute dental is provided and the owner is not given any options for higher quality care imo

But it's a problem when a "just scaling" 10 minute dental is provided and the owner is not given any options for higher quality care imo

"dental 2cc ketamine 2cc pen" was still my favourite rDVM record so far in clinics. Dog had two of those dentals before the owner took him to another vet and he was referred. Ended up having double digit extractions.

"dental 2cc ketamine 2cc pen" was still my favourite rDVM record so far in clinics. Dog had two of those dentals before the owner took him to another vet and he was referred. Ended up having double digit extractions.

:annoyed: Wow :bang:

heck no. I don't drive into the city unless I absolutely have to
Is lyft available in your area?

i am sure there is a more convenient "local general aviation" airport you could drive to. No?
What town are you in? I want to investigate.
If you go, I will pay you to take my dogs, and I'll bake you and dy cookies. I'm not even slightly kidding.

In your area.

I was thinking the same. In my area, $1000 for a dental almost guarantees you that you got ripped off. We charge somewhere around $200 before extractions as well.

I agree with 'interviewing' the new practice. If you feel the least bit blown off or unimportant, don't stick around. This is what I tell my boyfriend when his current vet dismisses any concerns he has and doesn't take the time to answer questions.

Another thing is that I wouldn't suggest taking any online reviews you read as a good source of info. In my experience, most pissed off clients are withholding parts of the story or wouldn't follow recommendations.

I was thinking the same. In my area, $1000 for a dental almost guarantees you that you got ripped off. We charge somewhere around $200 before extractions as well.

Could we all quit with the blanket statements?

A $1000 for a dental may or may not be a "rip off" depending upon what was done. If it was just a cleaning, then yeah, that was possibly a "rip off". If it included extractions of multiple teeth to potentially the entire mouth, no it was not.

However, without knowing the details of what anyone's pet really received for a $1000, having this idea that it "almost guarantees you got ripped off" really discounts and discredits the work that veterinarians do. As someone who is a part of the profession, that is the last thing you want to do. And I am not saying that is what you are doing, but if you state it on here or are thinking it then that opens up the possibility that you could be saying it to people not in the profession. Which, in turn, makes them think that a "dental" regardless of how much work is done, is not worth xxx amount of money.

Reactions: 1 users
Could we all quit with the blanket statements?

A $1000 for a dental may or may not be a "rip off" depending upon what was done. If it was just a cleaning, then yeah, that was possibly a "rip off". If it included extractions of multiple teeth to potentially the entire mouth, no it was not.

However, without knowing the details of what anyone's pet really received for a $1000, having this idea that it "almost guarantees you got ripped off" really discounts and discredits the work that veterinarians do. As someone who is a part of the profession, that is the last thing you want to do. And I am not saying that is what you are doing, but if you state it on here or are thinking it then that opens up the possibility that you could be saying it to people not in the profession. Which, in turn, makes them think that a "dental" regardless of how much work is done, is not worth xxx amount of money.
Uh, hold on there.

It's called clients price shopping. When they ask if we can do the dental for cheaper, we have them bring records and come in for an exam. I've seen estimates from at least two nearby clinics charging triple for exactly what the two clinics I've worked at do (that is your basic dental before extractions). It's actually really common for one of the two clinics. It could be because they are newer and feel that they provide a quality of care worth 3-4x that of the other 20-30 clinics within my area, but once the client balks at such an outrageous price (definitely not a wealthy area), they almost always book elsewhere.

Also, I said $200 before extractions. I'm not comparing two different things there. I've seen full mouth extractions get around $1000, that's completely different. If you want me to spell it out for you, the estimates from other clinics say "Extractions/x-rays are additional charges." You're definitely free to name your price as you see fit, but when comparing estimates, it's a no brainer. Unless that clinic is doing something expensive that doesn't make it onto the estimate but is included in the pricing, and I'd be curious as to what.

Uh, hold on there.

It's called clients price shopping. When they ask if we can do the dental for cheaper, we have them bring records and come in for an exam. I've seen estimates from at least two nearby clinics charging triple for exactly what the two clinics I've worked at do (that is your basic dental before extractions). It's actually really common for one of the two clinics. It could be because they are newer and feel that they provide a quality of care worth 3-4x that of the other 20-30 clinics within my area, but once the client balks at such an outrageous price (definitely not a wealthy area), they almost always book elsewhere.

Also, I said $200 before extractions. I'm not comparing two different things there. I've seen full mouth extractions get around $1000, that's completely different. If you want me to spell it out for you, the estimates from other clinics say "Extractions/x-rays are additional charges." You're definitely free to name your price as you see fit, but when comparing estimates, it's a no brainer. Unless that clinic is doing something expensive that doesn't make it onto the estimate but is included in the pricing, and I'd be curious as to what.

How do you know "they do the same exact thing"?

Uh, hold on there.

You stated this:

"In my area, $1000 for a dental almost guarantees you that you got ripped off." Then stated that your clinic charges around $200 before extractions. Nowhere did you qualify or quantify what the "$1000" entails.

Again, I stand by my prior statement. My point still sticks. And since most clients see a "dental" as the whole ordeal regardless of if extractions were done or not, I consider a "dental" to be the full procedure. The scaling, polishing, and any extractions. So when you say that "$1000 for a 'dental' guarantees you got ripped off" that includes any dental procedure where extractions are also done. And it would to people not within the profession as well.

And given some of the stories you have told us about the one clinic you worked at, I wouldn't allow my pets within 10 feet of the place even if they were 3-4x cheaper.

How do you know "they do the same exact thing"?
Actually, because the one of techs that interned/rotated through at one of the said clinics now works with me :)
You stated this:

"In my area, $1000 for a dental almost guarantees you that you got ripped off." Then stated that your clinic charges around $200 before extractions. Nowhere did you qualify or quantify what the "$1000" entails.

Again, I stand by my prior statement. My point still sticks. And since most clients see a "dental" as the whole ordeal regardless of if extractions were done or not, I consider a "dental" to be the full procedure. The scaling, polishing, and any extractions. So when you say that "$1000 for a 'dental' guarantees you got ripped off" that includes any dental procedure where extractions are also done. And it would to people not within the profession as well.

And given some of the stories you have told us about the one clinic you worked at, I wouldn't allow my pets within 10 feet of the place even if they were 3-4x cheaper.
I can't help it that I specified "before extractions" in my comparison and you chose to continue to use your idea of something because that's what you think of. I clarified it, it's no longer an issue.

I've met a fair amount of clients that had no idea pets can need extractions. Seriously. Again, it could be my area since things beyond vaccines are often avoided/declined. When our doctor recommends a dental, some people think it's complete BS that their dog could even need dental care like they do (or they should get if they are able). I'm sure those people exist everywhere, but it seems fairly common here.

I can't help it that I specified "before extractions" in my comparison and you chose to continue to use your idea of something because that's what you think of. I clarified it, it's no longer an issue.

You didn't specify "before extractions". That is the only reason I stated something because you didn't specify it. You later clarified the point, but that still doesn't change what I stated initially. You can go back and read your own post, you did not specify that the "$1000 dental" was "$1000 before extractions".

And that still doesn't change that if a client comes in for a "dental", they don't see the cleaning and extractions as different procedures as they occur at the same time. So if you state to someone that if they spent "$1000 for a dental they are guaranteed to have been ripped off" then you might get that means a scaling and polishing but that client is going to think of Fluffy's "dental" where 15 teeth were extracted and she spent $900 and is now going to be pissed that she got "ripped off".

Part of this profession is realizing how clients view things. A "dental" to a client is the entire procedure... everything that occurred in that one day that Fido had his "dental". It doesn't matter if that was a 20 minute scale and polish or a 4 hour scale, polish and extractions... those are both "dentals" to clients.

Actually, because the one of techs that interned/rotated through at one of the said clinics now works with me :)

I've met a fair amount of clients that had no idea pets can need extractions. Seriously. Again, it could be my area since things beyond vaccines are often avoided/declined. When our doctor recommends a dental, some people think it's complete BS that their dog could even need dental care like they do (or they should get if they are able). I'm sure those people exist everywhere, but it seems fairly common here.

Mildly hypocritical since I just bitched about an rDVM like ten posts ago, but seriously, don't get in the habit of saying colleagues are doing things "wrong" or "ripping people off." 99% of the time you're only hearing one side of the story, you don't know what the other side includes in their care/estimate (bloodwork? dedicated anesthetist? actual good probing/charting? dental rads? etc) and most of the time it just sows ill will and makes nobody happy. Try to give people - especially people in your profession - the benefit of the doubt.

Reactions: 4 users
I was wondering how those of you, who aren't already vets, decided on a vet to take your pets to. What factors did you consider? What are the red flags to avoid? My vet is leaving the practice and I don't like the other vet, so I'm going to have to be going elsewhere. After hearing on this forum about how horrible some practices do dentals, it made it sound like I need to be careful in picking a new practice because they might do a lot of things in a substandard way.

Back on the ranch... I think current vet students will think a bit differently than current veterinarians, who have practiced for a while and experienced things quite differently. You probably won't need a vet immediately, so why don't you wait a tasteful amount of time (1-2 months after your favorite vet leaves the current practice) to ask them if they have 2 local vet recommendations? Then, even if they give their ex-colleague as one of the recommendations, you have another (hopefully good) vet to look in to. I also don't think there is an issue with asking current vet techs, just be discrete and respect them if they choose not to answer. Ask them if they know of a couple of vets who have a good history of dentals. Be aware of where you ask them - not all rooms keep sounds within the space well!

Back on the ranch... I think current vet students will think a bit differently than current veterinarians, who have practiced for a while and experienced things quite differently. You probably won't need a vet immediately, so why don't you wait a tasteful amount of time (1-2 months after your favorite vet leaves the current practice) to ask them if they have 2 local vet recommendations? Then, even if they give their ex-colleague as one of the recommendations, you have another (hopefully good) vet to look in to. I also don't think there is an issue with asking current vet techs, just be discrete and respect them if they choose not to answer. Ask them if they know of a couple of vets who have a good history of dentals. Be aware of where you ask them - not all rooms keep sounds within the space well!
I have to say that if my techs were asked this, and they referred a client elsewhere, there would be an issue. Asking the techs is a bad idea. They either won't answer honestly or they will recommend the other vet. To do otherwise might risk their job. It's like going in to target to ask directions to Walmart

I have to say that if my techs were asked this, and they referred a client elsewhere, there would be an issue. Asking the techs is a bad idea. They either won't answer honestly or they will recommend the other vet. To do otherwise might risk their job. It's like going in to target to ask directions to Walmart

I'm not sure why so many people here think this is a good idea and are suggesting it.

There's just so much badness that can come from commenting about other practices to clients while on the job. It's absolutely deplorable to make negative comments. Even if clients themselves make negative comments about another clinic, it's not okay to chime in and add fuel to the fire. You just say I'm sorry you felt that way or I'm sorry you had a bad experience or something without agreeing and move on and redirect. It's just as bad if not worse to put your hospital in a negative light.

You are not really hired to please the clients/patients through your own moral compass or drum beat or whatever. You are hired to help clients/patients as an agent of your employer. The clients/patients "belong" to the hospital. I know that sounds weird but that is why noncompetes/nonsolicitation clauses are such a big deal. You cannot do anything purposely to sever that relationship between client and hospital. This is a really important concept to understand. It's similar to the idea that you have to understand money and payment ARE important in this business. Your job is to promote your hospital. If you are uncomfortable with that, then you should probably move to another hospital that you feel comfortable recommending.

If a client asks you what other local hospital you recommend because they would like to leave, the correct answer is, "oh no, can you tell me what it is that you were unhappy about? Is there anything we can do to provide a better experience?" NOT, "I've heard great things about practice X, and I used to work at practice Y, etc..."
If the client says, I just really don't like Dr. Z, then say you're sorry s/he feels that way. If Dr. Z's the only doctor there, then just wish them well and move on (if my techs heard this, they would say something along the lines of "I'm sorry you feel this way. I personally really love dr. Minnerbelle and think she's a great doctor.") If I were Dr. Z, I personally would want to know. Either I will learn something from the experience, or I'll jump for joy that we're ridding ourselves of dingus client.

I say all of this as an associate with no real stakes in the hospital. The only time I recommend elsewhere is for people who are low income enough to get government assistance, who would qualify for subsidized care and they have a pet that really needs care they can't afford.

I'm not sure why so many people here think this is a good idea and are suggesting it.

There's just so much badness that can come from commenting about other practices to clients while on the job. It's absolutely deplorable to make negative comments. Even if clients themselves make negative comments about another clinic, it's not okay to chime in and add fuel to the fire. You just say I'm sorry you felt that way or I'm sorry you had a bad experience or something without agreeing and move on and redirect. It's just as bad if not worse to put your hospital in a negative light.

You are not really hired to please the clients/patients through your own moral compass or drum beat or whatever. You are hired to help clients/patients as an agent of your employer. The clients/patients "belong" to the hospital. I know that sounds weird but that is why noncompetes/nonsolicitation clauses are such a big deal. You cannot do anything purposely to sever that relationship between client and hospital. This is a really important concept to understand. It's similar to the idea that you have to understand money and payment ARE important in this business. Your job is to promote your hospital. If you are uncomfortable with that, then you should probably move to another hospital that you feel comfortable recommending.

If a client asks you what other local hospital you recommend because they would like to leave, the correct answer is, "oh no, can you tell me what it is that you were unhappy about? Is there anything we can do to provide a better experience?" NOT, "I've heard great things about practice X, and I used to work at practice Y, etc..."
If the client says, I just really don't like Dr. Z, then say you're sorry s/he feels that way. If Dr. Z's the only doctor there, then just wish them well and move on (if my techs heard this, they would say something along the lines of "I'm sorry you feel this way. I personally really love dr. Minnerbelle and think she's a great doctor.") If I were Dr. Z, I personally would want to know. Either I will learn something from the experience, or I'll jump for joy that we're ridding ourselves of dingus client.

I say all of this as an associate with no real stakes in the hospital. The only time I recommend elsewhere is for people who are low income enough to get government assistance, who would qualify for subsidized care and they have a pet that really needs care they can't afford.
It makes me feel so awkward when clients badmouth their previous vet, even if they don't name names. Like gee, I really hope we don't do anything to piss you off, and then you talk about us like that to the next place...

I don't think there has to be a mention of bad service, or even that you are shopping around... "Hey [tech], since you're experienced in this area, what qualities do you look for when you pick a vet? Now that [previous doctor] is gone/leaving], what should I be looking for, especially in regards to dentals?"

I don't even think you should expect an answer if you ask the techs. But it certainly won't hurt YOU. :)

I don't think there has to be a mention of bad service, or even that you are shopping around... "Hey [tech], since you're experienced in this area, what qualities do you look for when you pick a vet? Now that [previous doctor] is gone/leaving], what should I be looking for, especially in regards to dentals?"
It still puts the tech in a very awkward position because they will either wonder why you are asking when they have another vet or will risk getting into trouble to answer you. Those answers should be mostly the same from vet to vet in the same practice.

Reactions: 2 users

I don't even think you should expect an answer if you ask the techs. But it certainly won't hurt YOU. :)

That's an even more awkward question. The underlying assumption (though not always true) is that practice philosophy should be similar throughout the hospital. When you ask something like that, you are implying that you don't trust the other doctor, or that you think the other doctor would for some reason be performing subpar dentals within the same practice. That's just a really awkward and uncomfortable question to be asked.

My tech would likely say, "are you asking me how we do our dentals? We do x,y,z because a,b,c. I look for a doctor who cares about my pet and addresses my concerns."

Those kinds of questions are so, so uncomfortable. Even if you try to make it ambiguous, it's pretty crystal clear what you're really asking. As an assistant, even if I weren't risking my job by directly answering those kinds of questions, I'd feel like I was being extremely unprofessional if I threw anyone under the bus in any way. Not only does it damage the business, it damages the trust that the doctors are trying to establish with clients and it damages your working relationships. I've had clients ask if a doctor is experienced, if they're any good, if they know what they're doing, etc. and I've had clients ask exactly where one doctor was going to be working after she left our hospital (and why she was leaving!). It was awkward every single time, and I wish people wouldn't put support staff like us in that position. And maybe I've been wrong to do this, but I have told the doctors when clients have asked questions like that so that they'd have some insight into what the client is thinking, so don't think the other doctor(s) in the practice won't know you've asked.

If a client doesn't trust me or have faith in me for whatever reason, I personally don't care. I actually would prefer that they let me or another staff member know that. My techs have the tendency to defend me, but honestly, I would rather not see people who are not happy to see me. I don't feel the need to have to "change their mind" about me unless I legit did mess up something in which case I will do what I can to rectify that. I'll put a note in the computer that these clients might be better scheduled with someone else unless emergency in which case I will obviously see them if need be. If anyone hints at or makes it obvious that they don't trust me, they're told that trust is very important and if they don't trust me, that's totally fine, but that I suggest they find another doctor that they do trust. I don't deal with that ****. It's not pleasant for me, and if they can just see someone else, it would be for the best. The pet isn't going to get the best workup/treatment of the client doesn't trust my recommendations.

I think clients should communicate if they don't trust their doctor (or just leave). I just don't like the idea that pre-vets/vet students think it is a good idea for hospital employees to recommend local competitors. (The only time that is acceptable is if you refer your worst clients to your least favorite competitor. Lol, j/k).

How many people do you personally know that have enough courage to tell a doctor to their FACE that they don't trust them? Not many? Because I think that is a nice ideal, but one that few will be able to do.

@Starry-chan - for me, it comes down to how they interact with myself and my pets. Is the doctor willing to get onto the floor with my animal? Do they seem to want to be its friend? Do they stand there without addressing my animal beyond assessing it? How much do they seem to trust ME? How much do they stick to their advice/is there wiggle room in their treatment plans/do they allow other opinions? Unfortunately, everyone has their own definitions of what makes a good vet, and it will be dependent on you. And obviously (as we can see from this thread), you can't really ask anyone for recommendations - according to many, techs will only be able to advocate for their own doctors (so you can't really ask those at the hospital or those in the area); you can't ask the vet; you can't trust what non-vets have said, etc... ;P Overall, I would go with your intuition and your ability to read people. If a vet doesn't care whether or not you like them (and I've definitely met those types of people), you can tell, and personally I avoid those. If they don't appear to care about your animal personally, I would avoid those. This won't necessarily give you insight into what the behind-the-scenes medical care is like, but it probably gives you a good idea. If they don't care to give you a good impression right in front of your face, do you think they will care about giving you a good impression behind the door (meaning, give you quality care) where you can't see them?

Good luck!

If a vet doesn't care whether or not you like them (and I've definitely met those types of people),

Meh. I mean to some degree, I do care if a client likes me but to some degree I don't. And that doesn't have to be a bad thing. We're all people, we all have different personalities and while I'm interested in the things clients like to see in a vet and I'll do my best to make a good impression. I'm not about to bend over backwards to change my personality or the way I do things for a single client. Nor do I expect the client to change their personality just to get along with me. There are plenty of vets around and I'd rather see a client find a vet they like and get along with. That isn't to say that I "don't care" if you like me or not but I just don't get hung up on it. I mean, if we had a great veterinary client relationship and then you one day decide you don't like me I'd definitely be trying to find out why. But my main concern is that your pet gets care that you are comfortable with and if that means finding a different vet that fits your personality better, please go for it. It's not that I don't care, it is that people understand that not all personalities get along.

Reactions: 3 users
How many people do you personally know that have enough courage to tell a doctor to their FACE that they don't trust them? Not many? Because I think that is a nice ideal, but one that few will be able to do.

They usually don't. But I don't need them to tell me to my face "I don't trust you." They can tell a staff member or another doctor, and trust me it happens. I have many a clients who see me and then complain about the other doctors in my practice, and vice versa. If a client is asking the types of questions that missdarjeeling mentioned above to support staff (in a distrustful manner, not in a if this were your pet would you do what the doctor recommended? kind of way), then yeah that is what they are saying. If the client keeps refuting what I'm saying, refuses to consider what I've explained, or otherwise makes it obvious to me that they don't trust my clinical interpretation or recommendations, then they've essentially told me as well.

You missed my point. that last post wasn't in response to anything you said. My point there was to say that we shouldn't be dictating what a client should or shouldn't say. That's beyond our control. They can say whatever they want. We can only control our response to them. I was just saying that more feedback is better, positive or negative.

My issue is with people in the veterinary field saying that clients should be getting recommendations for doctors at OTHER hospitals from the staff at a competing hospital. That says to me that as a hospital employee these people feel that it is okay to give that recommendation. It's not.

I interpreted "don't care" as not taking it personally and not being invested in trying to make sure the client likes you and thinks you're an awesome doctor. Sometimes clients don't like a doctor for whatever reason, justified or not, and it's better to just accept it and move on. It's usually a waste of energy to try to make them see how great you are and how they need to listen to you and trust you. We have a client that refuses to see Dr. XYZ, even though they've never seen her before or even talked to her on the phone, according to our records. It's something we kind of joke about, since no one can figure out why this person refuses to see her and dislikes only her. Dr. XYZ "doesn't care" in that she's not going to try to worm her way into seeing this client so she can charm them and show them how much she knows, and this person's refusal to see her doesn't make her question her abilities. That doesn't mean she's terrible at client communication and doesn't care about providing the best care she can to her patients and to clients, in general.

Anyway, my point in bringing up the trust issue is that saying something critical of any doctor or of hospital policy undermines the relationship with the client, and that's not a good thing even if you get to keep your job. And I think people should note that if you do put support staff in these awkward situations, chances are they're going to talk about it as soon as they head into the back, so if your goal is to get information from a tech without the other doctor at the practice knowing about it, there's a good chance they're going to know what you said anyway.