how did you guys deal with rejections?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zerg

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received 2 rejections even before my app was complete.
After that, I felt hopeless and lost all my confidence.

I thought my numbers and ECs were strong (3.8+ cgpa, sgpa, 35+ MCAT),
but that rejection letters made me seriously doubt my qualification.

How did you guys overcome the feeling of being rejected?
Were you able to stay confident?

Members don't see this ad.

This is off topic, but why did you get 2 rejections before completing your app? What do you mean by that? Screened out pre-secondary?

Yep, Screened out

Members don't see this ad :)
Mayo is really tough to get in from what I hear. They want top notch people and even so with good life experiences and quality EC's. Are you going to top schools?

they rejected you cuz your race can regenerate without doctors (medics)

they rejected you cuz your race can regenerate without doctors (medics)

:laugh:

Dude, everybody gets rejected from those schools. Don't let that bother you though. With time I think we will all realize how silly this rat-race mentality is. We've worked really hard to get to this point, and are most likely (especially with your stats) going to get accepted somewhere. And that's all you need. When the rejection letter says that their denial of acceptance is only a reflection of that fact that WAY too many highly qualified applicants apply and they can only admit a fraction, and that it in no way is an expression of doubt in your ability to be a highly successful and wonderful physician, they really mean it. And it's true.

Just curious if it is realistic to expect to get any interviews or even admission from schools like Harvard, Hopkins, Yale, other top ranked schools if my verbal score is 8 or less.

Sorry, your numbers are not strong.

Mayo, Vanderbilt

When was your vandy complete?

I'm still waiting from them, but I know what you mean, just got my first rejection from chicago the other day.

34/3.91, so while I may not have a 37, I figured I wouldn't get screened.

From what i've picked up in other threads, based on my numbers about 55% of the top 20 schools would actually consider my application. I don't know how the guy came up with that number, but the point was, different schools value different things. Some have a baseline threshold and look for EC's/life experience beyond that. Others like chicago cut by numbers.

I hope vandy isn't the same since it's one of my top choices, but I'll let you know.

When it all comes down to it, we did the best we could (or at least I did). I'm proud of my gpa and my mcat. Who actually expects to drop a 37?

I know I'm qualified, and I know I have solid EC's and will make a great doctor. If school x rejects me, it's their loss.

Do I want to go to my state school? No, but if I have to I will manage.

Also, to answer your question, alcohol.

Ohh... good catch. Yeah that will screen you out of a lot of big schools. Is English not your first language or something?

What I said above still applies, IMO.

English is my second language. Do you guys think my verbal score would hold me back from big schools? Well at this point, I would be happy to go to any medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
English is my second language. Do you guys think my verbal score would hold me back from big schools? Well at this point, I would be happy to go to any medical school.

Mayo and Vandy are some of the best schools in the nation. Many people get rejected from them outright.

Don't let those two decisions serve as predictors of what will happen the rest of the cycle.

barney-stinson-awesome-quote.jpg

I spent the weekend crying in bed and eating ice cream when I got rejected by my top choice school (McGill). I don't recommend this route.

so you never got rejected when applying to college? ru at haavad

Dude I got 4 rejections. You don't see me jumping off any building. At least not yet. Baneling bust some Terran on ladder might help.

First year rejection: Eh whatever I'll go research a bit, publish a paper, get an EMT, volunteer at five different hospitals and make volunteer trips to Mexico and the border.

Second year rejection: **** this I'm going to SGU.

:rolleyes:

^ What was your GPA?
Why didn't you consider DO? or did you?
Just wondering.
I don't hold any bias against Big 4, but when I'm applying, I wanna get as far away from Miami as possible. :D

Dude I got 4 rejections. You don't see me jumping off any building. At least not yet. Baneling bust some Terran on ladder might help.

i can't believe that works
it surprised me the first time but by the second time i saw it, i already figured out that you can fast expand against that and just put up bunkers with supply depots in front and it's pretty much an instant win

i can't believe that works
it surprised me the first time but by the second time i saw it, i already figured out that you can fast expand against that and just put up bunkers with supply depots in front and it's pretty much an instant win
I was gonna ask you to play but realized you are also a Terran.

Alcohol, copious amounts of alcohol.

Surprisingly enough, this is also how I will deal with an acceptance.

I cried myself a river and then threw myself into the river. Seriously dude why did you even make this thread. Grow a pair and move on when you get rejected.

Alcohol, copious amounts of alcohol.

Surprisingly enough, this is also how I will deal with an acceptance.

Hahahaha wow.

Adding to the topic. I was sad for a bit, and then moved on. Schools have to screen for efficiency, so I decided not to take it personally. I am sure that if schools met all of their applicants, the acceptances would be a bit different :)

Got rejected from Mayo as well.

He just needs more overlords.

I cried myself a river and then threw myself into the river. Seriously dude why did you even make this thread. Grow a pair and move on when you get rejected.

Off topic but...

OMG you're the first patriot i've seen on here!! :D:thumbup:

Sorry about your rejections OP i'm sure the acceptance letters are on the way. :)

Off topic but...

OMG you're the first patriot i've seen on here!! :D:thumbup:

Sorry about your rejections OP i'm sure the acceptance letters are on the way. :)

I'm pretty sure there are other patriots on SDN lol

Yeah isn't there an entire sub-forum dedicated to military medicine? But you don't have to serve in the military to be a patriot.

Yeah isn't there an entire sub-forum dedicated to military medicine? But you don't have to serve in the military to be a patriot.

That's right you don't have to serve in the military to be a patriot. With that being said ironically I would never do military medicine. I'm more focused towards primary care in disadvantaged and under-served communities.

No, patriot as in GMU not the military lol :laugh:

Haha nice!! did you attend GMU too?

Will be. I'm at NVCC doing a transfer degree. I'll be there starting next year :thumbup: Inbox me and let me know how the teachers you had are. I don't want to hijack this thread :oops:

As others mentioned, Mayo and Vanderbilt are hard to get into regardless of stats, so don't feel so dejected. A 35+ MCAT is amazing, but unfortunately your VR score will narrow your chances at a number of places. Hopefully you applied to schools with VR ranges at the lower end, not just upper-tier schools like Mayo and Vandy.

That said, I dealt with my rejection by thinking about other things like finishing the rest of my secondaries and preparing for interviews. Once you get that first interview invite you'll probably be too excited to even think about rejections, unless it's a rejection from your first-choice school. I think the rest of your app will make up for your VR score at some schools, so I wouldn't worry to much. Good luck :luck:

Number of rejections > number of interviews >> number of acceptances.

gtfover it

Mayo and Vandy are some of the best schools in the nation. Many people get rejected from them outright.

Don't let those two decisions serve as predictors of what will happen the rest of the cycle.

Ditto.

I was rejected from this pair <1 month after completing my applications as well. They seem to move faster than other schools in rejecting applicants. Just remember that these rejections are not a reflection on your overall application strength.