How did you guys prepare for the oat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OATAcer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Please share your OAT preparation here:

The way I am preparing for my upcoming OAT is as follows:

BIO: Read Bio sections and flashcards, and do the OAT destroyer Bio questions, try to learn the concepts.

QR, Physics, G-Chem & O-Chem - Read the sections and then do the questions from the OAT destroyer.

I've heard good things about Chad's Videos, but am not sure about it. :confused:

Was wondering how everyone else have/is prepared/preparing for the OAT?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All,

Please share your OAT preparation here:

The way I am preparing for my upcoming OAT is as follows:

BIO: Read Bio sections and flashcards, and do the OAT destroyer Bio questions, try to learn the concepts.

QR, Physics, G-Chem & O-Chem - Read the sections and then do the questions from the OAT destroyer.

I've heard good things about Chad's Videos, but am not sure about it. :confused:

Was wondering how everyone else have/is prepared/preparing for the OAT?

There's an OAT prep forum, you might want to check it out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Chad's notes to review everything.
Big Kaplan Book
OAT Destroyer
Self study for a month for six hours each day

Equals great success!

lots of practice exams. free oat exam from ada website, used 2 kaplan exams, buy oat destroyer exams. studying flashcards will not substitute for taking actual "practice" exams in a timed environment.

I was told for biology to only read the flashcards and to memorize them, reasonable idea? Yes, I have the OAT destroyer and will be using it for my physics, g-chem, o-chem, QR, etc. Right, more practice the better the results.

I studied for the OAT by using the Kaplan prep course and the resources provided (flashcards, quicksheets, and loads of practice questions). A solid three weeks before my OAT, I began doing full length exams and this allowed me to identify weak areas. Because I had allotted myself the three weeks, I had sufficient time to learn and review the concepts I had issues with.

I also felt that Kaplan's biology section didn't cover all the material I saw in some practice exams, so I went over my anatomy and ecology notes from university classes. Just make sure you do full length, timed exams. Good luck!

I crammed for about two weeks mostly using the OAT Destroyer. It worked out fine for me. I thought its only weak point was with the quantitative reasoning section.

I crammed for about two weeks mostly using the OAT Destroyer. It worked out fine for me. I thought its only weak point was with the quantitative reasoning section.

two weeks? wow, that is impressive.

I did about 100 practice questions and got a good night's sleep the night before the exam.

Big Kaplan book.
OAT destroyer
Plus alll the practice test i found online
the two practice test plus problems that you can buy from kaplan, its another book
I started practice tests about 2 weeks before my exam.

Big Kaplan book.
OAT destroyer
Plus alll the practice test i found online
the two practice test plus problems that you can buy from kaplan, its another book
I started practice tests about 2 weeks before my exam.

I've been hearing a lot about the "Big Kaplan book."
Where can you get it? Also one of my weakest subjects is Physics. Does anyone know what materials I can use for that to really learn the subject and prep for it.

I used Chad's videos and then use Kaplan practice exam books. Scored in the 99th percentile. If I were studying for it again, I would use Chad's videos and the OAT Destroyer.

Physics destroyer

[/B]UOTE=munchy609;12158682]I've been hearing a lot about the "Big Kaplan book."
Where can you get it? Also one of my weakest subjects is Physics. Does anyone know what materials I can use for that to really learn the subject and prep for it.[/QUOTE]

What topics.did you study for bio?

I used Chad's videos and then use Kaplan practice exam books. Scored in the 99th percentile. If I were studying for it again, I would use Chad's videos and the OAT Destroyer.

Yeah i am using the kaplan.book and memorizing the.flashcards
QUOTE=Soccerjoe;12158956]I didn't study for the biology section that much. The Kaplan Big Book should be good enough.[/QUOTE]

Yeah i am using the kaplan.book and memorizing the.flashcards
QUOTE=Soccerjoe;12158956]I didn't study for the biology section that much. The Kaplan Big Book should be good enough.
[/QUOTE]

For the biol section on my OAT, I found that they asked a lot of random questions not covered in the kaplan book. I guessed quite a few but knowledge from basic undergrad classes should help you make educated guesses!

• kaplan course's big book and smaller book

• some of the kaplan online subject tests (you'll only have a limited time to have access to kaplan's online material when you enroll in a kaplan course- my account expired so i did not get to take all the full length practice exams)
  • practice exams from topscore
my opinion: kaplan's and topscore's bio material was too easy compared to the real exam i took. kaplan's physics matieral was more difficult than the real exam. i spent 4 weeks to prep- i felt a bit rushed and recommend you give yourself at 6 to 8 weeks to prep, this way you have time to find out where your weak spots are when u take practice exams. i only took the real exam once and scored 320 AA (i messed up on RC) and 330 TS. i would have given myself more time if i could do it over.