How did you guys study?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kris400158

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am planning on taking the test in March and will start studying in December over break. I was wondering what you guys did to study? For example, while going through EK Bio did you take notes? Make anki cards with whole paragraphs on them or just vocab? Both notes and anki? Reread the chapter 3 times? What about for chem and physics? I understand that a more broad picture understanding is needed, but what helped you focus in on that and retain it-I have a pretty bad long term memory.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I am planning on taking the test in March and will start studying in December over break. I was wondering what you guys did to study? For example, while going through EK Bio did you take notes? Make anki cards with whole paragraphs on them or just vocab? Both notes and anki? Reread the chapter 3 times? What about for chem and physics? I understand that a more broad picture understanding is needed, but what helped you focus in on that and retain it-I have a pretty bad long term memory.

Thanks!
I used only Examcrackers. I did three months.

The first month was content review. I hashed those books out to a chapter a day, through each book in sequence. I did the quizzes as I went too. I made outlines of important information, boiled down to key concepts and tried to connect everything as I went. So I could go up the outline as say, this happens because of this and when this is met. Know that, and contemplate monkey wrenches and relationships. In terms of using one set of books, I found it to work. I can't stand Kaplan, for example, because they like to quip and make huge runs of nothingness. I'd review everything everyday, so that by the end, a lot of what I did in the beginning was second nature.

Then, test cycles. Buy tests and find free tests (some companies give a free teat to try to rope you in. Take it.). The AAMC bundle is necessary. Take these tests last. There is a great correlation of these test scores to what you get. I was skeptical, but, wow, was it right. Do the cycles in rotations of three:

1. Test day. Take a test at right conditions. That's it. Maybe small readover of notes. Nothing crazy.

2. Review day. Review in detail what you missed and how questions are worded, get you, etc. Eliminate stupid mistakes and your test scores will go up by a good amount. Realize that these tests usually are harder than the actual test. You will be discouraged. These are ONLY to help you learn to take the real test, barring their material. While the content is helpful, those questions are prepping you.

3. Break day. Relax. Breath. Maybe a lookover of outlines. Maybe a FEW practice problems from reputable sources. Like section banks.

Repeat. There's a correlation (I believe) of how many tests you take to how you do. That should show how this test is more about comfort than actually memorizing their specific questions and material (not saying to slack on the knowledge you need though).

Take the AAMCs last. They'll predict, your score somewhat. The converter is around here somewhere.

ELIMINATE WRONG ANSWERS. A lot of this test is saying, this doesn't make sense and this doesn't either. But I'm not sure. After trying for a LITTLE bit, guess and move on. Too many people get stuck and worry, then the rest of the test goes. The practices should help you control your time.

Also, I received a 514. So I'm not the worst. Not the best. Take this all as how I did it, modifications are probably necessary for your style!

Sent from my SM-G900V using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
I took very concise outlines of notes. For example, if a paragraph was all about, idk, water retention, it would be so long to show so little info. So, i'd do this:

• Water Retention
    • Why?
      • Common sense: water is necessary for life, and the body thinks it precious.
  • Multiple ways to hold water
    • Hormones
      • ADH: Etc.
      • Aldosterone: Etc.
Nice and simple breakdowns. I never liked anki, and I didn't make any flashcards except for physics and its equations. These flashcards were physical ones. Carried them with me for a few months.

Members don't see this ad :)
I made Kaplan quicksheets into Anki and also made anki cards of every term in the 100 page khan academy document for psych/soc. Once I knew these, i started taking practice tests and supplementing my knowledge.

Hey guys,

Thanks!

I studied using the EK set during the summer (for the first 2 months of which I was also taking physics every morning and volunteering twice a week). I read the books, highlighting important things I didn't know, then went back through and made notes for everything. Make sure not to include things you already know in your notes- why study extra stuff?
I took 2 practice exams during this time. After, I started alternating practice exams, practice exam review, and notes-studying days.
I supplemented with Khan Academy videos for things I didn't understand/ weren't in EK, and I made flashcards for all of the equations I needed to know (which I determined by keeping track of equations while using EK and by looking at Kaplan quicksheets). I also used some online flashcards made by other people for PS. For chem/phys (my weakest section) I made sure to do extra practice problems.
Towards the end I used all of the AAMC materials available to me (especially the section banks (or is it the question packs? whichever is with newer questions). I also used nextstep and took one EK exam and one PR exam.

This method worked very well for me, so I hope it was of some use to you! Good luck!