How did you know medicine was the right field for you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Absolute statements can be hard to defend, young Padowan. Probably true that for many (if not most) doctors, medicine is not a calling, but there are exceptions, and I think I've met a few of them....

I totally agree!!! His comment is somewhat myopic or novice like... "Is he saying William Osler's calling was not medicine?" [wouldnt want him as my doc]

Members don't see this ad.

Absolute statements can be hard to defend, young Padowan. Probably true that for many (if not most) doctors, medicine is not a calling, but there are exceptions, and I think I've met a few of them....

I think you are misunderstanding what I'm getting at. Sure people can be very driven or passionate about medicine but the use of the word calling like someone got a sign from god that said become a doctor, well that's a bit much in my opinion. The other definitions psipina used are not what most people mean when they say calling though those definitions do usually provide for the word "driven" or "passionate towards".

If after med school and residency these people still feel it is a calling then I'll believe them but even many of the nontrads on here who've gone back after another more lucrative career ended up saying differently after residency.

Hey everyone.

I studied economics in college and am thinking about going the post-bac route to medical school. I'm not sure, however, if medicine is the right field for me. I'm interested in some of the science (bio and physics; i don't like chem) and I think actually practicing and interacting with patients would be kind of cool. I'm also pretty sure I'm capable of handling the material if I applied myself, too, though math and science aren't my strengths. That said, I'd really rather be studying something less profitable (and risky), like Middle Eastern history or something. I see medicine as a ticket to a comfortable life, doing something I can at least tolerate.

So I guess what I'm wondering is, what motivated you to study medicine? In a perfect world, would you still choose to study medicine? How does a person even know if medicine is the right field for them?

Thanks, I'd appreciate any insights.

I think you answered the question yourself...you want to do medicine for the financial reasons, which isn't a bad reason to do it, it's just not enough of a reason. Medicine is a pretty long, ardous road. What I mean by hard is that it's a lot of studying, a lot of 'staying home on Saturday nights to study for exams on Monday' type of lifestyle, and the reward at the end of the tunnel is years and years of long hours as a resident. By the time you 'reap' your reward, it'll be a decade down the line from your premed days. Given the number of jobs available that pay well, have fewer hours and less training, going into medicine really requires people to want to do medicine, not just pick it because it 'pays well'.

I strongly suggest you do a thorough search on SDN about people's opinions (which you are kind of doing right now). Then do some shadowing of doctors. I shadowed a few docs and I spoke with a few of them who worked in academic medicine (family friends), and although I wasn't turned off by medicine (either the docs here work on the Happiest Place on Earth or people on SDN really do gripe a lot), I feel that it's bad spots have been sorely neglected by the general public. Most people don't understand the long, irregular hours that doctors may put in, the years of training and what that means for family life, nor do they understand the state of healthcare and declining reimbursement (although truth be told, there's plenty of that going around in other fields too).

I disagree with Panda Bear to stick with your econ degree b/c frankly, unless you are really good at that and/or went to a top notch econ school, you are not going to find the economic security you'll looking for.

Science is not a bad route for financial security. Medicine may require more commitement than you want to give, but there is pharmacy, dentistry, professional assistance. All these fields require fewer years of training (and perhaps less debt), and they pay well, and will give you the financial security you covet. Think about those professions. Shadow a few people in those fields. I think the 'less prestige' of these other healthcare professions makes it easy for them to be overlooked, but you may find the security you seek in those fields. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you are misunderstanding what I'm getting at. Sure people can be very driven or passionate about medicine but the use of the word calling like someone got a sign from god that said become a doctor, well that's a bit much in my opinion. The other definitions psipina used are not what most people mean when they say calling though those definitions do usually provide for the word "driven" or "passionate towards".

If after med school and residency these people still feel it is a calling then I'll believe them but even many of the nontrads on here who've gone back after another more lucrative career ended up saying differently after residency.

This can be very true for people too. It was for me. I had an abrupt switch from marine bio to medicine. In my case, I would say that by that definition, medicine was my calling, and while most of my life, I tried to deny it, I eventually came around to the idea. That doesn't mean there are times that I don't hate med school or some classes. But, I know that I am where God wants me to be.

Yes, medicine is in turmoil in the U.S., and it is difficult for many to understand why anyone would willingly endure medical education and training because of a sign from God. Here is an inspiring story if you would like to learn more about people who claim to have a calling to go into medicine (in the sense that a religious person would say it). I have included the "History" section, and there is more you can read about this and other stories of physicians who claim to have had a religious calling to go into medicine. Obviously not every "calling" is going to be this dramatic, but in the lives of the people positively impacted it might as well be.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Medical_College_&_Hospital
Christian Medical College & Hospital, known simply as "CMC", was founded by Ida S. Scudder, and located in the city of Vellore in the southern state of Tamil Nadu, South India.

History
The idea to start a hospital came in the late 1800's, when Ida visited her medical missionary father, John Scudder, at his post in Tamil Nadu. One night, Ida was asked to help three women from different families struggling in difficult childbirth. Custom prevented their husbands from accepting the help of a male doctor and being without training at that time, Ida herself could do nothing. The next morning she was shocked to learn that each of the three women had died. She believed that it was a calling and a challenge set before her by God to begin a ministry dedicated to the health needs of the people of India, particularly women and children. Consequently, Ida went back to America, entered medical training (practically unheard of for women at that time) and, in 1899, was one of the first women graduates of the Weill Medical College of Cornell University;

Shortly thereafter, she returned to India and opened a one-bed clinic in Vellore in 1900. Two years later, in 1902, she built a 40-bed hospital, the forerunner of today's 2000-bed medical center. In 1909, she started the School of Nursing, and in 1918, a medical school for women was opened. (Men were admitted in 1947). With the training of these women as doctors and nurses, Indian women would now begin to have access to health care professionals. {In 1928 Mahatma Gandhi visited the medical school and appreciated her work.}

In addition to the care of women, Ida Scudder saw the need for bringing health care to the poor, the disabled, and the neglected of India. She traveled regularly to outlying villages, bringing medical care to the doorstep of poor villagers, starting CMC's first "roadside" dispensary in 1916. Over the years, these roadside dispensaries have developed into extensive rural health and development programs that have become internationally acclaimed in the Community Health field. These dispensaries have attracted members of the medical community from around the world, from young medical students to nurses to highly skilled surgeons, to study and contribute their skills.

The 100 years since Ida Scudder opened the first small clinic have seen considerable growth. Today, there are 3,000 outpatients per day, 1,000 inpatients, 55 operations, 22 clinics, and over 30 births every day. Ten bible classes are held each day and 380 patients are visited by a chaplain. In addition, there is the work of CHAD, CONCH, and RUSHA, which go out to the villages and rural areas bringing methods of disease prevention, health care and community empowerment to tens of thousands more. CMC employs over 4300 people today, and is widely acknowledged to be one of the top Medical schools in India.

The term "calling" doesn't necessarily imply a divine mandate, but in any case we're talking about subjective personal experience. You and I may not feel that God has called us to go into medicine, but that doesn't mean that no one could have that feeling. Who are we to deny or denigrate that personal experience?

Similarly, a patient might believe that it is God's will for her to recover quickly and lead a normal life again. We might see things differently, but why not give her the benefit of the doubt, especially if it doesn't interfere with clinical treatment?

The term "calling" doesn't necessarily imply a divine mandate, but in any case we're talking about subjective personal experience. You and I may not feel that God has called us to go into medicine, but that doesn't mean that no one could have that feeling. Who are we to deny or denigrate that personal experience?

Similarly, a patient might believe that it is God's will for her to recover quickly and lead a normal life again. We might see things differently, but why not give her the benefit of the doubt, especially if it doesn't interfere with clinical treatment?

I agree.. gujuDoc is the 1st one in the thread to mention god??? Some might say we are just talking medicine on this thread...I guess everyone is entitled to there opinion no matter how narrow. Also it took me a long time to realize not everyone is capable of communicating properly, concisely, with neutral objectivity and at the right time..

I was once an economics major in college until I "ended up" wanting to do medicine and changed to a bio major. I think it was the want to serve the community that put me on that track as well as the fact that I found medicine & public health interesting. I wish I had stuck with econ (I really liked it). That training would've been invaluable even if that meant finishing the premed courses and attending medical school later. I'm planning on doing a MPH program, and the econ. background would be helpful as well.

What I learned is that just start out in the field that fascinate you (I loved the economic subject but not bio as much), and see where it leads you. If medicine captures your heart right now, do that. If you think you MIGHT like medicine, wait to decide after college (I wish I did!). If you are concerned about grades and credentials/extracurriculars and how they will affect your ability to apply to medical school (I did) if you waited to apply, don't sweat it too much (unless you are targeting top med schools). Just make sure that you have decently good grades, doing what you love, and exploring medicine as a career until you are ready to take the plunge.

There's time for medical school after you work in econ. or what it may be for a year or two (although it may seem like everyone in college is applying to/thinking about applying to something or another). Lastly, get the shadowing experience you need to fully evaluate your choices. Life experience and maturity are good qualities when you apply. Unless you are out of school for many years, a year or 2 out of college is not a big deal anyhow.

That said...you'll never know where medicine will direct you (public policy, health econ., etc), but it is a long and gruesome road, and the opportunity cost is astronomical! Since you are an econ. major, just calculate the loan amt and what you could be getting and investing. If you want to do medicine for just the humanitarian/money aspects of it (not love of human body), I realize now that there are so many more ways to fulfill that - either your heart (volunteer activities, donations, help manage NGO's, etc) or your pocket (if you are good in econ. or anything for that matter, people will be willing to pay you).

Good luck~

MSII

Though, I guess my dream job would to be a trainer for Shamu (as long as Shamu doesn't attack me), or something where I could swim and play with whales and dolphins.

Haha...I'm with you, except I'd be a SCUBA instructor in Maui.

Hahaha one of my undergrad professors who I did research with often scuba dives in the antarctic for his research.

hehehe. That's the big reason I decided to not going into marine bio in a twisted way (grew up on Maui, SCUBA certification through school in 7th and 8th grade open-water and advanced). I didn't want to do aquaculture, and I really like diving around Maui County, so I figured I couldn't make a living chasing humpback whales, spinner dolphins or whale sharks. It's a hobby now (when I'm home on break), and I'll have a job at some point that can support my hobby.

Edit: working with Shamu was a dream since 2nd grade when I lived in SoCal.

For how many of you would life during med school/ residency/ general attitude about medicine be improved if you had little or no med school debt? I just feel like mostly people are bitter about this.

I'm a dentist and run a dental residency program in Boston. I have a second profession as a PADI scuba instructor, a course director actually and teach scuba diving and instructor level training in the Boston area. It doesn't pay as well as dentistry but is a whole lot more fun.

Moving to PreAllo. Allopathic medical students can follow this thread there and reply if desired.

I never thought that being an orphan would ever prove to be useful; in fact, I wanted to leave it all behind with the first mention of emancipation at age 18. Surely, living in over 21 group homes and foster families had me living in limbo, and it was only my dreams and goals that were going to help me escape. Once I was released from the foster care system, I could finally cultivate my own interests, and I soon realized that it was the skills and character I developed as a child that was going to guide me for the rest of my life. Medicine has shown the most promise in helping me fulfilling my life goals and maximizing my potential.

It took a while, but once I realized the motivation behind the staff members (who ran these group homes) actions, (working long hours for children who showed no gratitude or respect), I knew that I had to do the same. Basically, these staff members had a skill set and a heart of gold that enabled them to accomplish something with people in disadvantaged circumstances/situations. Utilization of this specific skill-set allowed them to make the biggest difference in the life of some child, even if they didn’t realize it until 10 years down the road. And, as an orphan who learned how to “work the foster care system” to his advantage, I began to develop a similar skill-set as the staff members who I began to mimic. I could help my fellow peers with my knowledge, and use my unique position to help them discover their paths to a positive mind set, and things of the such.
Looking back, it almost feels as if I were doing what a physician might do on a day to day basis. While I wasn’t practicing medicine in the strictest sense, I was making diagnosis’, prescribing “medicine”, and using my knowledge/skills and potential to give the kids once considered “down and out” a leg up in life.

I want to integrate this same passion and practice with the cutting edge of science.

That’s all.