How did you know what to choose?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Olay

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here and have a lot of questions :D
I've been reading these boeard since I've been 17 and I always come back to the Pre-med/nontrad forums...
I'm 19, freshman, second semester starts in the Fall and I don't really know what I want.
I know that I want to work in the medical field.
I know that I want to take care of people, be there when they are at their worst and help them get back up, explain what happens with their bodys and how it can be fixed, listen to their concerns and problems...
That sounds like nursing, I could really see myself as a NP but I can also see myself in the future being not completely satisfied, wanting more...

I want to do something meaningful, something big, extremely challenging, something thats bigger than me and I also always come back the thought of going to med school. I don't know why medicine, I just always come back to it, watching documentaries about the application process and med school in general, reading these boards for hours to read different experiences.

Nothing ever went as I planned it in my life but I have this need to know now what I want so I can make a plan, what courses to take, when, where with the ultimate goal in mind. I feel like I need to know if it's going to be nursing or medicine and it's driving me crazy that I can't figure it out. I don't want to regret any decisions I make and do it right the first time, not sure if that is even possible.

One thing that scares me about the med school path is that I think that I want children in my twenties, wouldn't want kids in med school,but I just think that I would want kids then and I don't know if I will even have a guy for that when that time comes. I want to travel and see things and I'm not sure if I would be able to do that while getting the best grades I can, volunteering and so on. I want to start earning money and be independent and then there is the huuuge time comittment...that should tell me that it's not the right thing for me, but I always come back.
So I guess my questions is, how do you know? How do you know for sure? I feel like I know absolutely nothing right now :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Olay, I know how you feel! I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life either, and believe it or not, I was even more lost that you. You know you're interested in the medical field, which is a good start.

First, I will agree with the previous advice. Shadow and get a feel for what's out there.

Second, I will give you the advice I wish somebody had given me when I was your age. It's extremely important that you don't let lack of decision paralyze you. The average age of med school students is rising; don't feel as though you have to have everything figured out in a year or two. If you study hard and get good grades, you'll set yourself up for whatever career you decide on.

I know you probably feel tormented by the choices now. At some point, it will become clear to you, and make sure that you're in a position to act on that whenever it happens. The more relevant aspect to this right now is the GPA. You can decide to go to medical school when you're 30, but if you get bad grades when you're 19 they will haunt you forever.

Good luck, and remember that it will work out. Somehow, someday, it will.

Thanks so much for the tips guys!
I think I should really find a physician and a nurse, at different times, to shadow but how do I start? I moved to where I currently live a year ago and have seen a doctor twice, so I don't know her all too well, should I just call or actualley go there and ask?

If I would decide to go the med school route, I wouldn't know what major to choose, I know it doesn't matter but what would I pick? I like creative writing, biology (I don't know if I like it so much that I would major in it though), psychologie, languages, but what if I then don't get into med school? Then I have a degree in crative writing or biology and do what?:p
Best would be nursing major but I doubt that I can finish the nursing curriculum, clinicals and so on while taking the other prereqs. Meh, there are just too many possibilities and none of them feel perfect right now.

I'd suggest majoring in Psychology or Biology as opposed to Nursing. Most programs want to see your dedication to becoming a doctor, not just in the health-care field. They tend to get irritable if you get a nursing degree and never use it.

If you want both a doctor and a nurse before you decide, then since you're a freshman, take the Gen Ed courses until you know what you want for your degree. You can wait until your sophomore year is over before declaring....just make sure you know what it is you want to be.

There certainly are nurses that go to medical school, but the training is so very, very different. A friend of mine started nursing school later in life, about at the same time I began my pre-med classes. She is now an RN and has really struggled with the mindset of the mentors she has had. I know that there are NPs who advocate for increased clinical autonomy, but the training (as a whole) is not designed to foster that.

I thought of becoming an NP, but medical school is my personal Mt Everest, so to speak. I know I wouldn't be satisfied with anything less, but it took me many years to realize that.

Look, there's NO good time to have kids in medical school, or even in a medical career, until you're maybe Professor Emeritus.

So, have them when you're ready. I have students who have children in med school all the time. I've had single parents as students. I've had students who were living apart from the family while dad took care of the kids, untill rotations started.

When in grad school, I knew a gal who had TWO children in med school.

So, follow your heart. Worry about the other stuff later.

One thing that scares me about the med school path is that I think that I want children in my twenties, wouldn't want kids in med school,but I just think that I would want kids then and I don't know if I will even have a guy for that when that time comes. I want to travel and see things and I'm not sure if I would be able to do that while getting the best grades I can, volunteering and so on. I want to start earning money and be independent and then there is the huuuge time comittment...that should tell me that it's not the right thing for me, but I always come back.
So I guess my questions is, how do you know? How do you know for sure? I feel like I know absolutely nothing right now :scared:[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the responses, I really appreciate it!
I love the Mt Everest analogy,:love: I think I feel the same way but I'm scared to admit that to myself, because it's such a big commitment.
About the children thing, I guess I really shouldn't stress about it, I have absolutely no clue how everything will pan out in the future, one step at a time...
I'm still not sure what I want to major in, if I'm not able to graduate in 4 years and take one year longer than that, would that influence the way the adcom would look at me and make me less competetive compared to someone that graduated on time?

I want children in my twenties, wouldn't want kids in med school,but I just think that I would want kids then and I don't know if I will even have a guy for that when that time comes. I want to travel and see things and I'm not sure if I would be able to do that while getting the best grades I can

Just to let you know, my mother had me when she was 37, and I know plenty of people who were born when their mothers were in their thirties.

My mother told me that older women with Down syndrome children probably took birth control pills when they were in their twenties, but I have no idea.

Also, even if you're over 50, you could take care of foster kids (or adopt kids).

I think you should travel before medical school and decide if you want to spend your twenties doing that or not.

You don't need the "best grades" because you can always stay in undergrad longer or apply to less selective schools.

Also, YOU are the one who makes the best of a career.

Nursing can even bring more satisfying experiences than in medicine.