How did you learn to do research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wormboge

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did you learn to do research on the job or in school?

Members don't see this ad.

You bring up a good point. Nobody teaches you the basics of research or how to perform it with precision and accuracy in college, especially the statistics involved. I learned the basics from google. Here’s a pretty good beginners tutorial on how to approach research: How to Conduct Scientific Research (with Pictures) - wikiHow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
You bring up a good point. Nobody teaches you the basics of research or how to perform it with precision and accuracy in college, especially the statistics involved. I learned the basics from google. Here’s a pretty good beginners tutorial on how to approach research: How to Conduct Scientific Research (with Pictures) - wikiHow.

Guessing you haven't taken a course or lab in Quantitive Chemistry? All you learn is precision and statistics.

Guessing you haven't taken a course or lab in Quantitive Chemistry? All you learn is precision and statistics.

I’m a med student, so guess again.

Reactions: 1 users
Did you learn to do research on the job or in school?
What I do with my students (some of whom have never held a pipettor before in thier lives) is give them background material, and a specific, defined project, and them have them do one thing and do it well.

Once they become comfortable with the technique, it dawns on them what they're doing, and why, and then the thinking expands.

Reactions: 3 users
i learned from others in the lab

You learn by doing, by failing, through mentorship, and by critically reading the primary literature.

School will teach you about 5% of what you need to be good at research; a bit more if you take courses based on examining and discussing the literature. Practical Lab courses might actively inhibit you from becoming good at research.

Reactions: 2 users
It really takes a month to teach all the basics specific to a lab and most labs who hire fresh grads or undergrads teach that.
Your science labs should teach you how to use your hands. Mentors/good PIs teach you the thinking and how to set up experiments.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
In clinical/epi/social-behavioral health research, it is mostly from apprenticeships. You learn by doing, and receiving feedback from your mentors. There are some "research methods" classes you can take to help you get some working knowledge about how things work. Then you talk to a faculty member, one-on-one, in great details, over your conceptualizations and your plans for collecting data. It is a very time-consuming process, and you may have to revise your plans many times before they give you a green light.

Reactions: 1 user