How did you narrow down what schools to apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorWannaBe

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't started researching schools to apply to and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on where to start. Is there an online search function to narrow down my choices? What did everyone do to start narrowing down schools? Are books like Princeton Review Medical Schools book or MSAR helpful? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by DoctorWannaBe
I haven't started researching schools to apply to and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on where to start. Is there an online search function to narrow down my choices? What did everyone do to start narrowing down schools? Are books like Princeton Review Medical Schools book or MSAR helpful? Thanks!

It's actually quite simple.

There are 150 or so med schools, and that number can quickly fall to 20-30 targetted applications through some elimination:

I actually used both the MSAR and Princeton book (although the Princeton is a little outdated, its still relevant)

First, I took the MSAR:
1. I started by narrowing my ideal location, eliminating cities such as Philly, NY etc cause I knew I did not want to live there. I also knew I didn't want to live in States too isolated from family/friends: (cross out Alabama, Georgia, Northwest, Dakotas etc.) Start maintaing a list of ideal schools (for me it was Chicago area, Northeast, Boston, etc)

2. Of the remaining schools, which would be IMPOSSIBLE to get into based on their record of accepting out of staters? (I eliminated all UCalifornia schools)

3. Then start looking at the individual programs. Does the school emphasize research, PBL, lectures? What do you like? In the Princeton book, look at the grade methods (ABC vs. P/F), early clinical exposure or not, student happiness (for me- Yale, Northwestern etc started to come into the picture because of what I read in the Princeton book and MSAR even though they were reach schools).

4. Cost. Do you want to invest your application in pricey private schools for the most part? Are there some schools that are in ok locations, have nice programs, but are ridiculous for tuition? (Crossed off U Colorado and its $60k/yr from the list, Added lower priced schools like Indiana U to the list)

By the time you look through the MSAR and Princeton, you should have a better understanding of each school and where you would want to go. Apply mostly to schools with average numbers around your MCAT/GPA, and then a handful of reach schools that are longshots.

Good luck!!

OK, I know I'm totally lost/out of the loop/whatever you want to call it, but how do you find the MSAR? Is it online, or a book?

Thanks....I'm relying on the idea that "no question is a stupid question" though you may think this one comes pretty close!

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by karen44
OK, I know I'm totally lost/out of the loop/whatever you want to call it, but how do you find the MSAR? Is it online, or a book?

Thanks....I'm relying on the idea that "no question is a stupid question" though you may think this one comes pretty close!

wow...what an extremely stoopid question...:laugh: j/k j/k :love:

its a book...you can find it at most college bookstores...or go to www.aamc.org and order it online. Its under "publications." BTW MSAR stands for Medical School Admissions Requirements. A new one is published every year. $25 I believe.

Yeah a new MSAR just came out. I'm sure you could look at a copy if you have premed advisors.

I narrowed my schools down by looking at a list of schools that accepted 4 or more graduates from my school. Then I looked at info on the MSAR and narrowed it down from there. Its funny because I never looked at the rankings to pick my schools and I ended up applying just to schools that looked good to me and that was very few ranked schools. I only ended up applying to 2 schools that weren't on my list of schools that accepted alot of UCD students. OU because I grew up in oklahoma and UM because I'd just got done watching American Pie II. So I think my method was pretty flawed and I wouldn't recommend it.

Karen,

Check out your public and school libraries if you don't want to buy it. Also, your premed office might have one. Mine gets it for free from AAMC.

Thanks...for the info, and for not laughing at me...too much! ;)