How did you really know you want to specialize in endo?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentgeek101

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I am a new grad doing a GPR program right now and I am really thinking about doing endo, but I don’t know if it’s my calling for sure. I can’t tell if I just like the lifestyle/income potential or if I’ll actually enjoy doing it for the rest of my career.

how many years out of dental school did you figure out you wanted to do endo?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I don't think many endos do it purely for the procedural aspects. I think people like it because it doesn't come with a lot of the frustrations of GD. Endo is great because you aren't married to your patients, you don't have to worry about treatment planning or "selling" cases. Overhead is generally lower for endo. I would say if you don't absolutely love general dentistry just go for endo or another specialty. You won't regret it.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm 5 years out. I was thinking about doing endo specialty. Unfortunately, my class rank wasn't the greatest, so I probably have no shot. I believe with endo speciality, it is encouraged to have at least a couple of years experience as a GP before applying.

Hello all. I am a new grad doing a GPR program right now and I am really thinking about doing endo, but I don’t know if it’s my calling for sure. I can’t tell if I just like the lifestyle/income potential or if I’ll actually enjoy doing it for the rest of my career.

It took me 3 years out in general practice to figure out I wanted to pursue endo. Besides extractions, it became the only procedure I looked forward to doing. I found fillings, which is the bulk of what I was doing, boring to do - routine resto doesn't require very much thought. On the other hand, endo is much more complex, very stimulating, and can require a lot of thought (i.e. in diagnosis, navigating complex anatomy, etc). It became apparent that endo was something I could look forward to doing for the rest of my life, and that is when I knew I had to apply.

Reactions: 1 users

I wanted to do endo originally because I thought endos were fun. Then I realized I don't want to just do endo for financial reasons (because I can do rctbucrn), nor do I want to go through anymore school - I was sick of school. The more you make, the less inclined you are to go through endo residency.

Reactions: 1 users