How did you study for the bio section of the MCAT ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FreakyStudent

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which classes were most useful ? Which topics did you focus on the most ? If you took the MCAT which bio topics were or were not covered on your form ?

Members don't see this ad.

FreakyStudent said:
Which classes were most useful ? Which topics did you focus on the most ? If you took the MCAT which bio topics were or were not covered on your form ?

I think understanding of basic genetics, physiology, and cell bio were the most useful to doing the bio section. Also, this time around there was a bit of organic. Normally however, the MCAT is now more genetics based. The new MCAT format that changed in 2002 and has since been used for the past 3 years, involves more genetics and molecular bio. The best thing is to know the basics and how to apply it. Then the rest is practicing from a MCAT workbook and practice tests which will allow you to get used to manipulating passages etc.

FreakyStudent said:

I improved my score by doing practice exams. I probably took about 30 biology full lengths and just learned from my mistakes. After you do so many tests, you'll find that they test the same concepts over and over, so I only referred to my books when i missed a question. By the way i raised my score from a 7 to consistent 14's on my practice tests. i would highly suggest you take pratice tests. I wish you the best of luck.

Where would you get 30 biology full lengths? I've been looking for practice tests and I have not been able to find anything other than 8 full length MCATs offered at e-mcat.com

Members don't see this ad :)
kaplan books + practice tests
skipped most rev classes
worked for me (30+)!