How did you use Anki for textbooks (PBL Curriculum)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedSnow

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I have been reading a lot about Anki on SDN and Reddit, and Anki sounds fascinating. The problem is, my school is 90% PBL, and we have to read basic science textbooks like crazy. Personally I don't think just reading textbooks will work for me when exams come. Simply too much to memorize without a proper tool/technique. So this post is to ask if anyone has the experience of using Anki on textbooks. 2 questions I need to ask:
1) How did you use Anki for textbooks (read -> take notes --> copy to Anki? Or just copy/paste directly from textbook to Anki?)
2) Did Zanki work on your PBL exams?
Thank you so much for your answer.

Members don't see this ad.

Not on a PBL curriculum but am a big textbook/anki guy, in my experience reading the text is a great way to get a first pass knowledge acquisition then using a review video like BnB or pathoma to hone the high yield points then anki to solidify it all. I hate making my own cards so I use premade decks

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Going into dedicated having went through all those recourses definitely outweighs scoring 10 points higher on a local exam because you read the professor assigned textbook
I definitely agree to some level. But would you personally be okay doing below average on local exams, just to prepare for step? Some people I've met still want to do well locally.

who cares about class grades?
People do if your school is ranked. Sometimes it is a lot easier for someone to do well in classes and believe they are prepared for step 1 rather than not do well in classes, and potentially study for an exam that is 2+ years away. I'm just trying to give both sides

100% yes. You should probably do some reading about what PDs think about class grades
Just out of curiosity, what specialty are you considering? A lot of the top specialties like AOA, so if you were going into some of the less competitive specialties, then I'd agree. The reason why I bring this up because I don't think you've considered that class grades are often considered for AOA

Just out of curiosity, what specialty are you considering? A lot of the top specialties like AOA, so if you were going into some of the less competitive specialties, then I'd agree. The reason why I bring this up because I don't think you've considered that class grades are often considered for AOA

AOA is not required by any means for any specialty. If you look at the charting outcomes even the most competitive specialties only have about 40% of students with AOA. Not saying it doesn't help, but its not like if you don't get AOA you can't do X field. Step > class grades & rank any day of the week and there is zero argument there

Reactions: 1 user
AOA is not required by any means for any specialty. If you look at the charting outcomes even the most competitive specialties only have about 40% of students with AOA. Not saying it doesn't help, but its not like if you don't get AOA you can't do X field. Step > class grades & rank any day of the week and there is zero argument there
Yes it is only part of the picture, but like anything else, the less you have in one category, the more you'll need to compensate in other categories. No AOA? Better have tons of research and a killer step score