How difficult is it for Pakistani Medical School Graduates that are US citizens to get residencies ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bobdole112

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all I am just curious... I read in a booklet that only internal medicine was the specialty where US Pakistani medical school grads get admission into... I read in 2014 like 17/45 students that were Pakistani IMG but US citizens gained admission.. Thats less than 50%... I mean honestly how difficult is it to gain residency in the United States?

Members don't see this ad.

It really depends. It has a lot to do with which specialty you're choosing, and what your scores are, and even clinical electives you might have done. I know a lot of US citizen, IMG's from Karachi who just matched into residency this year. I don't know how many applied in total, but what I mean to say is, that don't look at the overall numbers. If you opt in going to school in Pakistan (Personally I would recommend against it), you still can match into a good program. (The people i know matched into surgery, Internal Medicine, Family Medicine, Pediatrics, and two even matched into radiology!)